Rally Against DFO In Planning For July Long Weekend

Stizzla

Crew Member
We aren’t going to sit here and take what we are being handed by DFO without them hearing from us.
The public needs also to be informed that we are here to help the salmon and whale population and not destroy it like the DFO is currently doing.
If we want to continue to fish, and have our kids and grandkids fish in the future, the time is NOW to turn things around.
We propose a non fishing and peaceful troll starting at the Pender Bluffs that will take us to DFO headquarters on Saltspring Island. I suggest making signs to show your support for saving the salmon! All of the local news stations will be notified and I will try to arrange crews to board some of our boats to capture some good footage.
I would like to know if anyone would like to step forward to do any interviews to discuss the real issues at hand here. I am not all that comfortable at public speaking and don’t have nearly the years of fishing experience and political knowledge as some of you veterans. I am as stubborn as a mule though and can be very persistent in getting what I want. If you think I’m on to something here, let me know. If you think I’m a big dum-dum and am waisting my time and yours, let me know. I’m a big boy and can take it.
Thanks you all for reading this and please join us on the water!
More details like date and time will be updated.

I would be in..... but am in Alberta.... given enough notice... could make the trip... but I say we troll with the down riggers out... just drag the lead around. crank the tunes.... and enjoy the day! "Just Whale watching!"

We aren’t going to sit here and take what we are being handed by DFO without them hearing from us.
The public needs also to be informed that we are here to help the salmon and whale population and not destroy it like the DFO is currently doing.
If we want to continue to fish, and have our kids and grandkids fish in the future, the time is NOW to turn things around.
We propose a non fishing and peaceful troll starting at the Pender Bluffs that will take us to DFO headquarters on Saltspring Island. I suggest making signs to show your support for saving the salmon! All of the local news stations will be notified and I will try to arrange crews to board some of our boats to capture some good footage.
I would like to know if anyone would like to step forward to do any interviews to discuss the real issues at hand here. I am not all that comfortable at public speaking and don’t have nearly the years of fishing experience and political knowledge as some of you veterans. I am as stubborn as a mule though and can be very persistent in getting what I want. If you think I’m on to something here, let me know. If you think I’m a big dum-dum and am waisting my time and yours, let me know. I’m a big boy and can take it.
Too wimpy, we would actually have to fish and be willing to lose our boats etc.

I’ll be in Rupert but if something is done there I will do my damdest to get envolved.

Man, something has to be done but just can’t teach the SCENSELESS!!

I appreciate your opinion! I do want it to be a family friendly event and not stir the pot too much... again, the biggest thing here is we need public support, not to be the bad guys

I would advise against a one step action without structure, organized professional representation of sportfishers etc. We need to carefully approach this with a comprehensive plan as an initial negative perception would be very difficult to overcome in the future. The other “green” groups have plans and professionals and are executing their plans very well both individually and as a group. I am not supporting their objectives however we need to recognize their success and develop our own plan. There are enough sportfishing organizations without creating a new one which takes time and energy and knowledgeable directors and members. Let’s give them time to communicate with us and then let’s support them with money and volunteers. No disrespect but we can’t afford a wrong move.

It needs to be a whole coast protest, as @blindmonkey said a one off wont have much if any effect.

Thanks for your input. It’s important that we are a cohesive group moving forward. I am getting the word that quite a few want to be patient. I feel we have been more than patient and things are getting beyond worse, I’m interested in knowing what the SCIAC and SFI have planned. It’s obvioisly dire here... how many people have lost their jobs and are selling off their boats and gear. It’s HEARTBREAKING, Canadian Government!

Last edited:
Email just sent out that SVIAC is hoating a town hall in Sooke at the Prestige. I'm sure it will be posted here too

Haha.Glad others appreciated my idea;) I think that the Saturday of the long weekend is a good place to start for any large scale protest. If it ends up being small (at Pender Bluffs) then fine would prefer it be a bigger coadtwide event or at the very least South Coast in and around Van and Vic. But better small than nada IMO.

Email just sent out that SVIAC is hoating a town hall in Sooke at the Prestige. I'm sure it will be posted here too

I paid a membership a month or two ago. I got my card shortly after. Yet I have not received any email from them regarding this or anything else. Maybe I did not get added to list??

I'd come over from Steveston. signs on,rods out, lines down no hooks . Pender thru Active Pass and back would make it noticeable

Hats off to you for starting a movement. Hard for me to attend your location and if i could only add to a suggestion.

I think you need to be seen and heard more.

Vancouver and Victoria harbours actually.... Get noticed .
Tons of locals ...... Both locations actually.
Other then maybe ferry traffic or local islanders see You off Pender or Active.

I also believe this should involve retailers suppliers resorts etc etc .

Way to go fellas.

Last edited:
Hats off to you for starting a movement. Hard for me to attend your location and if i could only add to a suggestion.

I think you need to be seen and heard more.

Vancouver and Victoria harbours actually.... Get noticed .
Tons of locals ...... Both locations actually.
Other then maybe ferry traffic or local islanders see You off Pender or Active.

I also believe this should involve retailers suppliers resorts etc etc .

Way to go fellas.
This is a big task for me to take the lead on. I need more help organizing if this is gonna happen. I run a busy business and have a 3 month old at home. I need experienced, well spoken people to help me out. Please speak up or pm me if you can take on a bigger role on this.

That is a great idea... I will be away fishing as well. once the details are sorted let us know I am happy to spread the word.

The new rules don't help the whales.

Jencourt...if you still haven't received an email about the town hall meeting send an email to info@lastchancefishingadventures.com Kelly is the membership person and he will check to make sure he has it entered correctly.

Back