2018 Pender Bluffs

The bluffs were so bad last summer that we caught more seals than Springs. Have never had it happen anywhere else but the seals were hitting our anchovy/flasher combos. Frustrating and sad. Closing the bluffs will have zero impact on improving the lot of the Orca's. It just means that the whale watching fleet will be able to get even closer to the whales on the few times they take a drive by to see if there are any Springs left.

You must not have fished late August thru Sept? We did very well, multiple springs every day up to 20lbs.

I’m now more curious about why some adjacent areas managed to stay open? Like to hear how and why DFO arrived at their decision. When you overlay the two closures and Strait of Georgia restrictions, you see an interesting picture. Also if the whales just eat Springs, why a total finfish closure?

I’m now more curious about why some adjacent areas managed to stay open? Like to hear how and why DFO arrived at their decision. When you overlay the two closures and Strait of Georgia restrictions, you see an interesting picture. Also if the whales just eat Springs, why a total finfish closure?

They have better data. Someone can speak to that more but the data the southern area uses isn't as good SOG fisheries.

Because people cheat, they will put a lure on and make as if they are jigging cod but catch salmon.

Because people cheat, they will put a lure on and make as if they are jigging cod but catch salmon.
And yet many areas are open but fish with restrictions? Wouldn’t there also be cheaters amongst them? I get it’s easier for DFO, but their job is enforcement.

Don't head down why are other areas open. You guys at least are free to do a run up to the inlet and other areas too fish. I know its ****** but you can still go to other areas if you are willing to do the run or trailer. Never ever wish for other areas to be closed as it removes your option.

Don't head down why are other areas open. You guys at least are free to do a run up to the inlet and other areas too fish. I know its ****** but you can still go to other areas if you are willing to do the run or trailer. Never ever wish for other areas to be closed as it removes your option.
First off the Inlet is closed every summer as are the approaches ,when the Cowichan run is expected. Overlay that on the total closure map! Second it’s always easy to say you guys shouldn’t complain or if may affect me. If we are all together on this, then we shouldn’t accept any one area has to face total closure as the sacrificial lamb! Who gets to be next. I have seen very little pushback from any organization about area 18 closure, even the SFI post against the closure seemed to only cover Sooke?

They have better data. Someone can speak to that more but the data the southern area uses isn't as good SOG fisheries.
Am I misreading this or are you actually trying to justify what DFO has done to the fishers in the Southern Gulf Islands and the Sidney area!

I, for one, am not ready to give up the battle to at least keep the portion of 18-4 which includes Pender Bluffs and the East side of Moresby Island open, as was put forward by the SFAB in the so called "negotiations" with DFO. What they have done is a travesty to the local fishers and not acceptable.This fight has just begun....

First off the Inlet is closed every summer as are the approaches ,when the Cowichan run is expected. Overlay that on the total closure map! Second it’s always easy to say you guys shouldn’t complain or if may affect me. If we are all together on this, then we shouldn’t accept any one area has to face total closure as the sacrificial lamb! Who gets to be next. I have seen very little pushback from any organization about area 18 closure, even the SFI post against the closure seemed to only cover Sooke?

Thats extreme ******** sorry. I was very outspoken on this and it was brought up extensively . Careful your barking at an area 18 angler. Better check your map were open till end of July. I voiced strong opposition to what is going on at Pender. We access that fishery in August out of Cowichan Bay. Remember as I said again yiu can run to another area if you have too. It doesn't make it right. The areas around you have pushed back based on the data they had. That isn't pender fault. I am last one to say Pender is a good idea.

I am also not going to want other areas shut down as it gives me no options to fish them. I get you guys are mad I would be too but at least you can travel if needed.

Last edited:
I, for one, am not ready to give up the battle to at least keep the portion of 18-4 which includes Pender Bluffs and the East side of Moresby Island open, as was put forward by the SFAB in the so called "negotiations" with DFO. What they have done is a travesty to the local fishers and not acceptable.This fight has just begun....

Nor should you give up. You guys shoukd have been at least an area open if bluffs closed. That was unfortunate and DFO just implemented away from what sfab reccomended.

Thats extreme ******** sorry. I was very outspoken on this and it was brought up extensively . Careful your barking at an area 18 angler. Better check your map were open till end of July. I voiced strong opposition to what is going on at Pender. We access that fishery in August out of Cowichan Bay. Remember as I said again yiu can run to another area if you have too. It doesn't make it right. The areas around you have pushed back based on the data they had. That isn't pender fault. I am last one to say Pender is a good idea.

I am also not going to want other areas shut down as it gives me no options to fish them. I get you guys are mad I would be too but at least you can travel if needed.
What organization do you represent? I never said anything about any individual! We are open in July so far, but is August no longer considered summer? Better look at a calendar lol. Can we all move our boats sure, but what’s the point if we are talking conservation? Eventually the few remaining areas will just become overfished.

What organization do you represent? I never said anything about any individual! We are open in July so far, but is August no longer considered summer? Better look at a calendar lol. Can we all move our boats sure, but what’s the point if we are talking conservation? Eventually the few remaining areas will just become overfished.

This isn't a conversation issue it's political. Anyway I did bring it up as with many others. Your area 18 rep did as well. I help derby as the secretary of Sfac nanaimo FYI. I also know your area rep brought it up. We can only advise not lobby and if the Dfo does something different it's beyond control. Your allowed to pissed off. We all are. I am 100 percent with you Pender got hit hard. Please write your letters to the minister and keep voicing concerns. I will be writing a letter as well.

In the meantime you still have option to fish elsewhere if you are willing to be mobile.

Already wrote my MP as well as MLA. While I know it’s not a Provincial decision, the fallout on the local community certainly is. Awaiting a reply from both and lack of support by them will cost them my vote,as well as anyone else I can convince and will result in a donation to whoever runs against them. Pretty simple!
The Minister is next, but first I need to conduct a little more research. I believe the whole system needs a reboot and that from the ground up there are many problems with transparency and information flow. The system IMHO is broken and has been for some time.

A lot of small boat fishers on the gulf islands do not have the capability to travel elsewhere whether their willing or not.
Seems like the rational used at Pender wasn't the same as the other areas. I wonder why. Maybe payback for not voting Liberal....

index.php

Back