Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to divert the Fishing Reports section, but this was shared on another post in the forum. Thought I would add it here as it shows significant impact other marine mammals play in Chinook salmon numbers. Its from a study done for the Pacific Salmon Commission.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...ns-for-salmon-in-puget-sound/article37036091/

I thought it was great to see a story like this in the mainstream media and here's few important points I took from it:

"Competition with other marine mammals for the same food may be a bigger problem than fishing, at least in recent years, for southern resident killer whales that spend time in Washington state's Puget Sound, a new study suggests.

Researchers used models to estimate that from 1975 to 2015, marine mammals along the U.S. West Coast ate dramatically more Chinook salmon – from 6,100 metric tons to 15,200 metric tons, according to a study published Monday in the journal Scientific Reports.

In the same period, salmon caught by commercial and recreational fishing from Northern California to Alaska declined from 16,400 to 9,600 metric tons.

"This really quantifies yet another pressure on recovering the salmon population," said co-author Isaac Kaplan, a research fishery biologist with the Northwest Fisheries Science Center, part of NOAA Fisheries. Other threats to salmon include habitat damage, dams and pollution.

The emphasis typically has been on managing how fishing affects salmon. But this study brings the rest of the ecosystem, including predators, into the picture, Mr. Kaplan said.

Researchers have known marine mammals gorge on salmon in certain hot spots, including the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington. But the predators may be eating even more in the ocean than thought.

The authors estimated how much salmon in different life stages four marine mammals ate based on a number of assumptions, including their weight, diet and size. The species included California sea lions, Stellar sea lions, harbour seals and fish-eating killer whales.

The study does a very good job of accounting for who eats Chinook salmon during its various life stages, said Andrew Trites, professor and director of the marine mammal research unit at the University of British Columbia. He was not involved in the study. "They've identified some of the major players, but they haven't identified them all," such as other fish, marine birds and porpoises, he said.

The study found killer whales, which increased from 292 to 644, ate the most salmon in terms of biomass, or weight, while harbour seals ate the greatest numbers of salmon, mostly juvenile fish."

This something that DFO and their masters the Federal Government has to start paying attention to!

And everyone have the idea that all Orcas are diminishing in population.

Hey guys...I know it is a very sensitive time with all the news coming out of various regulations and closures. Sharing information around those issues is pertinent in a reports thread but let's not get into the broader discussion of why and what to do next here, as there are plenty of other threads already in full swing for that purpose. In spite of the announcements, there is still fishing going on so let's keep this focused on reports as that is what members come here to view and comment on.

Thanks,
I understand Admin. Didn't mean to break away from it being strictly fishing reports, but these SKRW measures effect our opportunities to fish and actually post reports. Also I realize that some Forum members only go to the reports section and can be out of the loop on this important issues.

Trolled around Cowan for about an hour this evening until dusk. Few small bites, but caught loads of algae. Both lines and both downriggers coated in the stuff. Nasty! Going to try Thrasher or other spots on the other side tomorrow in the hopes there won't be any of the goop.

Fished thrasher today but couldn’t produce a keeper, plenty of undersized spring & wild coho (Nice to see). Lumpy in the am but calmed down nicely by midday. Came across some nice sized bait balls as well.

Tried the bell this am. Nada. Trolled to Atkinson hit two on chovy right away and didnt stick then couldn't produce another strike. Moved to tunstal then trolled halfway to cowan and called it quits

Hello fisherman
Fished thrasher today We limited out and had some other nice fish on.useing the herring aid spoon at 237 on the rigger.
So heres a bizarre one I turned pretty sharp and my rod came out of the rod holder like a cannon and into the drink it went I tried to get to it but to avail.I was in the hook so if anyone is lucky to hook onto it Id love it back lol.

It a silver trophy reel and a temple fork rod with a carbon fibre slick butt I trolled back and fourth but no luck oh well fishing was good almost made up for it ...

Tight lines
Billydoo

Did a quick troll from Cowan around into Tunstall for the tide change yesterday afternoon...played with depths from 55-200 and not a sniff. Flat water though!!

Saturday AM trolled from the mile markers - Bell Buoy to QA ...nothing. Then around 11am, in 400' of water at the QA noticed a thick black line and bait balls at about 250' down, dropped a rigger down deep and bang fish on - undersize. Re-set and dropped to 260' got a bangin hit that popped off the clip and fish on! Peeling line but it came undone... no other action... big crab haul off Spanish banks

MM

I was at thrasher on Sunday. Lots of undersized fish to keep you busy. Water was pretty calm until 2. The ride back was a little rough but I've been in worse.

What is the best place to drop a prawn trap and do some fishing around Bowen Island? We will be coming from Vancouver harbour.

What is the best place to drop a prawn trap and do some fishing around Bowen Island? We will be coming from Vancouver harbour.

Are you really asking where the best place to catch prawns is within an hour from downtown Vancouver on a public forum?

I wish you luck but guys aren't likely to give up their honey holes. Do some research and try out a few spots for yourself.

Anyone know when the fish usually start to show up at the bell buoy ? Let’s hope it’s a good June for fishing around here.

Are you really asking where the best place to catch prawns is within an hour from downtown Vancouver on a public forum?

I wish you luck but guys aren't likely to give up their honey holes. Do some research and try out a few spots for yourself.

Man I think that is crazy. I could and would tell everyone the best places to fish for salmon and catch prawns where I go in Powell River. It’s a big ocean. There’s a ton out there if we do it within the legal limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back