decent King action (lots of strikes)

Hey guys,

Aside from the insane fishing we had this day, this was pretty special to me because it was my first time getting to run a boat (assisted by Moby lol)

The kings were chewin and rods were flying! nothing more needs to be said!

Looking forward to new learning curves and another season of great people and experiences!

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited:
Not defending it, but I believe this is from a Lake Ontario fishery that is 100% hatchery based and is specific for recreational sportfishing.

Cool action for sure but me thinks shows a lack of respect and regard for the sport. Not how I would fish.

The answer and link is at the end..Spring Lake Ontario Fishing.

Way to go gents . Keep up the good work..!

Wow people really need to
Learn how to use a gaff properly to realease fish !! Why Net themif yourgoi g to let them go ? What a bunch of dorks they should be ashamed!

Tight lines
Billydoo

I liked the first release... Pick her up from the gills and a WWF Syle body slam onto her side. That’s all I watched. It’s not my type of fishing with levelwind reels and 14 rods in the water. I’m sure it was a fun day though!

the level wind reels turned me off instantly and the goofs all jumping around like apes to grab the lines too... Must be a back east thing... lol

This scenario was in my mind when i railed against releasing fish after the limit was kept.

I'm OK with C&R, but if people think this is what proper release technique is then maybe we should focus on educating versus the bashing and name calling. I understand how it can be enraging to watch poor practice, but sometimes it just takes someone to show/tell you proper practice before assuming they are a "ape" or, "dork". This guy probably spent a good amount of time/money into this trip and making the video and was excited to share it.. So @Dan the Fisher, next time you C&R, for the sake of keeping it legal and the well-being of the fish, keep the fish in the water, use a gaff to release, avoid using a net, and make sure the fish is alive before releasing.

If i'm wrong about this, and you don't care about how you release a fish, then forget what i said and go suck a lemon

@Fishtofino If all C&R fishing was like the video, then I certainly wouldn't have started that thread you're referring to, and would advocate for C&R to be illegal.. because otherwise, what's the point...

I'm OK with C&R, but if people think this is what proper release technique is then maybe we should focus on educating versus the bashing and name calling. I understand how it can be enraging to watch poor practice, but sometimes it just takes someone to show/tell you proper practice before assuming they are a "ape" or, "dork". This guy probably spent a good amount of time/money into this trip and making the video and was excited to share it.. So @Dan the Fisher, next time you C&R, for the sake of keeping it legal and the well-being of the fish, keep the fish in the water, use a gaff to release, avoid using a net, and make sure the fish is alive before releasing.

If i'm wrong about this, and you don't care about how you release a fish, then forget what i said and go suck a lemon

@Fishtofino If all C&R fishing was like the video, then I certainly wouldn't have started that thread you're referring to, and would advocate for C&R to be illegal.. because otherwise, what's the point...

Good points. And if the fish does come out of the water don't pick them up by stuffing your fingers in their gills...

Hey guys,

These are great lakes fish and the water temps were 52 degrees. If you have ever dealt with cold water, fresh water fish, you would know that priority is to simply get them back in the water. the revival process becomes a priority when temps get above 60 degrees and the fish become fully exhausted un-dependant on how long the fight is. the netting process is for ease of handling as clients normally like a photo so the fastest process is doing as we do. In terms of gaffing, unfortunately we run trebles so gaffing becomes a very difficult process when theres 3 hooks buried. (why dont we run side wash hooks? We cater to corporate Torontonians that dont necessarily know there way around a fishing rod so we need to maximize opportunity for them.) The business has been chartering for over 20 years and these techniques have been dialed in over years of practice and teaching. We are the young blood of the business and we definitely get caught up in being as quick and efficient like any other fisherman that wants to be the best at what they do(unfortunately sometimes we forget that people dont always see things the way we do). you guys are definitely right about the sloppy releases but these fish are built to migrate up some of the worst river conditions, high and low. these fish launch themselves some times 6 feet in the air to clear manmade dams and rapids.. Heres some footage i captured to prove that:

I have loads of respect for fish and it shows in the fishing I do, especially outside of the work environment (chartering has been work for me for the past 6 years) Video of the fishing I do outside of chartering -VV-

I should have known that you guys were going to take these things to heart... I totally get it. your fishery on the coast is like gold and you guys treat it like that with reason.

I apologize for this display. Reading these comments has made me re-think how we do things moving forward.

Appreciate the feed back guys,

Dan

Dan, pacific salmon also die after spawning due to the spawning and migration ordeal and even anadromous trout (steelhead) and Atlantic salmon, both of which can return to the ocean, have spawning mortality exceeding 80% in most populations. Pacific salmon also go through morphological changes, such as the fusion of their scales to take the beating of their migration. Scale loss, which then allows fungus and disease, is the primary concern with netting of fish, particularly with knotted and coated nylon mesh.

If netting is the necessity you claim, a catch and release soft rubber bag would be best. Simply no excuse for fingers under the gill plates and body slam releases. Quick lift out of the net with one hand supporting under the belly and other with a firm grip in front of the tail (but don’t lift larger fish out of the net simply by the tail, will pop vertebrae) for a quick photo op while the fish is still dripping wet. Release should be head first, not simply slammed or flopped back, with as little drop height as safe/possible.

Even Great Lakes stockers deserve some level of respect. We as a rec group should also be conscious of what is happening to hunters and the general public’s and ENGO perception of Facebook and Instagram pics or YouTube videos of dead animals ... many examples of individuals, and the practice in general, attacked on a global scale over pics of legally harvested grizzlies or lions or whatever. I can see a day where those folks also attack our sport, particularly C&R fishing, when they have easy access to such good documentation of poor practices.
Cheers!

Ukee

Good replies here using this moment to educate rather than simply slamming someone who may not have the same level of experience on whatever the subject matter is. I searched YouTube and was surprised at how few videos there are on this subject, particularly releasing from a boat that poses some challenges due to distance from the water and potential pitching due to sea conditions. I have to admit that my own technique has improved considerably by reading and listening to other's comments on best practices, along with some of the science regarding the physiology of fish and the toll it takes on their bodies when we mishandle them. This video featuring Brian Riddell from PSF was about the best I found on covering most of the things I have learned from members on this forum. The only point I believe would be questioned is the option of wearing a soft glove to grip the tail section.

Some great points and I would agree about using gloves. This would be a big no-no as there has been some interesting research that shows how it causes infections and increases mortality. Bare and wet hands to avoid sloughing off slime from the body.

In addition to previous comments, for allowing a fish to revive, I’ve seen and done some interesting things with lip grippers holding the fish at the surface as well as alternately holding the fish in the water surrounded by a large basketed C & R net. A released fish should be vigorous and actively trying to swim away as you’re handling the tail. If not and it seems more lethargic, allow it to recover for a period prior to releasing it so it can fend for itself and not succumb to seals/sea lions and/or dogfish. I’ve experienced up to 10 minutes to recover a few times, most often with scrappy coho.

One of the best investments we could/should make is investing in a good quality net for those times it may be needed. A fully rubberized basket (not just rubber coated mesh) that is both large and deep. This will allow you to wrap the basket around the fish to keep it from flipping around. This causes both scale and slime loss. Keep a netted fish in the water whenever possible as well. Bringing it into the boat and placing it on the floor surely has to expose these fish to contact bacterial strains they would never normally see (gloves too?), what would this do for increasing morbidity and mortality?

I have seen guys with the lip gripper also. I seen a show where they were releasing salmon in one of the great lakes & would attach the lip gripper then pull behind the boat at trolling speed. To be honest it seemed to work... After a few minuets the fish would get thrashing around & then they would release it.

I have thought about doing this but haven't because I don't know if dragging a fish around would just fill its guts full of water?

Back