Halibut opening

Soooo, i have a question in regards to buying quota. Lets say you go on a charter and the skipper catches a nice hally 75 lbs, he tells you he has bought quota. He says you can keep the fish, pay for the extra weight (weight over the maximum size limit) for $5.75/lb. You say ok, he then proceeds to fillet the fish right there and now on the hook, throws the fillets in a bag and tosses the carcass over board. You then proceed to take the fillets home, no paper work nothing and there was no paper work filled out on the boat at the time of the catch. Thoughts on this one please??? And yes tell me what you really think :)

if the c/o caught you would have been in whole lotta trouble. same with the captain.... sounds poachy and a cash grab.

The buying quota system is open for rampant abuse, and impossible for DFO it enforce.

Yah, if I’m not mistaken, you don’t have to buy more than a couple of pounds of quota so long as you “reconcile” the poundage harvested after the season by purchasing enough quota to cover what was harvested under the system. How you have to record/keep records or what’s in place to combat rampant abuse, I have no idea but I can’t imagine it’s much better than the honour system (an oxymoron in the case or rec fishers betraying the rest of us by buying in!).

Cheers!

Ukee

Ukee,

You absolutely right!

I had a discussion with the powers to be that are in charge of handing out these experimental licenses only a couple weeks ago.

License is free, they would like you to purchase a minimum of 20lb from the commercial sector to start.

You will have your own log book to record any fish you decide to harvest over the 115 cm.

If you keep a fish over 115 your are suppose to measure and log. Then you are to reconcile and purchase the required lb to cover what you have kept.

I was told they would like you to do this weekly if possible, if not monthly, if not by the end of the year.

This is completely on the honour system. There is no system in place to monitor this program at all.

You can bonk as many big fish as you want, bring them back to the dock, carve them up, take them home.

Then your suppose to be a good guy and report what you caught and purchase that poundage to cover what you bonked.

So the honest guy might.

It’s WIDE open for poaching. You can have a license under your company or personal, allow your clients to keep and kill as many big hali as they are willing to pay for on a per pound price.

You charge that client for those lb’s, never reconcile those lb’s and put that $$$ in your pocket.

Tell DFO at the end of the season that you never bonked one over 115 and who’s the wiser?

It’s nuts!

Crazy thing is it’s happening like crazy all over the coast, has been for years.

If I am wrong in anything I’ve said here please correct me, but in all my conversations with DFO in the past few weeks trying to understand the program this is how is see it.

Cheers

Soooo, i have a question in regards to buying quota. Lets say you go on a charter and the skipper catches a nice hally 75 lbs, he tells you he has bought quota. He says you can keep the fish, pay for the extra weight (weight over the maximum size limit) for $5.75/lb. You say ok, he then proceeds to fillet the fish right there and now on the hook, throws the fillets in a bag and tosses the carcass over board. You then proceed to take the fillets home, no paper work nothing and there was no paper work filled out on the boat at the time of the catch. Thoughts on this one please??? And yes tell me what you really think :)
When you wrote "pay for the extra weight (weight over the maximum size limit)" what do you mean by that exactly? Did DFO put a set weight on what a 115 cm Hali represents? So for example if the larger than 115 cm Hali that was bonked and is going under the quota license is say 160 cm's then the person paying for the extra deducts what weight for the 115 cm allowance we are supposed to have? I looked on the Hali quota info pages I searched up and couldn't spot that explanation written anywhere...?

115 cm =40-42 lbs max, as for the explanation on how this was done there is none, the way i read it is you pay for the whole fish that was bonked, dressed weight.

115 cm =40-42 lbs max, as for the explanation on how this was done there is none, the way i read it is you pay for the whole fish that was bonked, dressed weight.
Yes I called DFO this morning to confirm that. You need to buy a min of 20 lb quota to obtain the license. Then if you catch and keep one over the 115 cm and/or over your rec license allowable you have to mark and identify that Hali by clipping the tail lops top and bottom so that if you are inspected it is identified and marked physically that way and on pen in your log book. You may also make copies of your license and get your guests to sign the license so that they can also participate and use your license in that way. You must note the "round" length and weight of the fish then when you reconcile DFO calculates 75% of that weight to figure out the quota poundage you need to pay for. So if you bought 20 lbs to get the license and you have 80 lbs owing after the 75% is calculated you deduct the 20 lbs you already paid for and you will owe 60 lbs x $5.75 lb. You do not get to deduct any weight for what you would be allowed as a rec 115 cm Hali.

Without being able to do too many trips for Hali's every year at least this system gives a rec guy the opportunity to take home a fish out of the 85 or 115 criteria categories while being at a price way below a grocery store ($25 to $40/lb most places) and it also helps to not have to catch and release these fish after fighting and gets you more time to carry on targeting other species if you can get the Hali your after quicker without having to catch and release to get the rec category fish. Do I think it's a perfect situation/system for us. No. But I don't think any system is ever perfect for all of us.

It may not be the best program in the way that it can be abused and skid ball's will always try to find ways to skirt systems but at least it is a program that allows these Hali opportunities. I'm not the guy to figure out better ways cause politics and drama have gotten to me enough in the past negatively but hopefully things get better for us rec guys and our reps keep working together with DFO to keep the communication going and find good ways to try to make everyone happy.
My hat goes off to the fellas that are rep'ing us and going to all the meetings and volunteering their time to express our views and ideas and opinions. If we have problems with things then we gotta get out there too and put our 2 cents in cause there's no sense for us to be battling it out with each other here if we aren't gonna take that same opinion to the powers that be in the government offices.

Yes I called DFO this morning to confirm that. You need to buy a min of 20 lb quota to obtain the license. Then if you catch and keep one over the 115 cm and/or over your rec license allowable you have to mark and identify that Hali by clipping the tail lops top and bottom so that if you are inspected it is identified and marked physically that way and on pen in your log book. You may also make copies of your license and get your guests to sign the license so that they can also participate and use your license in that way. You must note the "round" length and weight of the fish then when you reconcile DFO calculates 75% of that weight to figure out the quota poundage you need to pay for. So if you bought 20 lbs to get the license and you have 80 lbs owing after the 75% is calculated you deduct the 20 lbs you already paid for and you will owe 60 lbs x $5.75 lb. You do not get to deduct any weight for what you would be allowed as a rec 115 cm Hali.

Without being able to do too many trips for Hali's every year at least this system gives a rec guy the opportunity to take home a fish out of the 85 or 115 criteria categories while being at a price way below a grocery store ($25 to $40/lb most places) and it also helps to not have to catch and release these fish after fighting and gets you more time to carry on targeting other species if you can get the Hali your after quicker without having to catch and release to get the rec category fish. Do I think it's a perfect situation/system for us. No. But I don't think any system is ever perfect for all of us.

It may not be the best program in the way that it can be abused and skid ball's will always try to find ways to skirt systems but at least it is a program that allows these Hali opportunities. I'm not the guy to figure out better ways cause politics and drama have gotten to me enough in the past negatively but hopefully things get better for us rec guys and our reps keep working together with DFO to keep the communication going and find good ways to try to make everyone happy.
My hat goes off to the fellas that are rep'ing us and going to all the meetings and volunteering their time to express our views and ideas and opinions. If we have problems with things then we gotta get out there too and put our 2 cents in cause there's no sense for us to be battling it out with each other here if we aren't gonna take that same opinion to the powers that be in the government offices.

This post SUCKS!!! Specifically the last two paragraphs! If your using the program then you suck too!!!!!!!!
Sorry I miss spoke . Since you just basically advocated for the XRQ you definitely suck!!

Last edited:
Jencourt get off your high horse, it is Chasin's choice. So how is the hally thing working for you, you want another 5%, you must be smarter than me because we lost about 15% this season in tac, so we are loosing out no matter what. Where this charter operator runs out of i know of many other guides who have bought quota too, soo why don't you call them out too instead of picking on a guy who probably spends a **** pot full of his own money to hire a guide and or bring his own boat to fish stimulating the economy!!!!! We are f*cked anyway you look at it, me i live on the island ocean front, it really doesn't affect me but i do not chastise any one if they do what Chasin wants to do.

Jencourt get off your high horse, it is Chasin's choice. So how is the hally thing working for you, you want another 5%, you must be smarter than me because we lost about 15% this season in tac, so we are loosing out no matter what. Where this charter operator runs out of i know of many other guides who have bought quota too, soo why don't you call them out too instead of picking on a guy who probably spends a **** pot full of his own money to hire a guide and or bring his own boat to fish stimulating the economy!!!!! We are f*cked anyway you look at it, me i live on the island ocean front, it really doesn't affect me but i do not chastise any one if they do what Chasin wants to do.

No high horse for me I assure you. You have your opinion and you have the right to share it , just as I do mine. Mine happens to be that I think anyone who supports this system no matter what the reason sucks.

For what it is worth I did not call him out. He put it all out there and I told him I think he sucks for doing so To answer your question, the “Halli thing” is not working out at all for me. Thanks for asking.

I feel strongly about the damaging affects of supporting the XRQ or any system that suggests it only takes money to make yourself exempt from the rules. I have no problem telling him, you, or anyone else just that. Nor do I have a problem taking time out for anyone questioning it to discuss why I believe so many of us still believe in the importance of NOT supporting the XRQ.

Cheers

Last edited:
I dont know of any sporties that bought quota that run there own boats and gear there Jackel , id like to think they understand the long term consequences , hope these guides understand what they signed up for ? Gd lk to them , Dfo thx them kindly

Fd

Well i have a few friends who are rec fishers and have bought quota, still my good friends, their choice, oh and don't bother asking for names, i do believe their is a way to find out who bought quota so research it. I am sorry to admit it but the horse is dead and we are all flogging it. FD tell me what the long term circumstances are , how long has thing hally ******** been going on and where has it gotten us, do tell, because from where i am it seems we have gotten jackshit!

nah , dont really care who , thats there decision , ive opted to stay out of all this a while back , and will do so after this
reading some posts from above , really tells us how ****** up the whole fishery is ,
as i said earlier , there will be all kinds of shenanigans goin on in the future ,
in a weird way , i guess i dont blame them , the split is a joke , thats the whole problem we all agree on .....
looks pretty easy to manipulate the the disney production system , its so laughable

gd lk
bonk away

fd

FD i did not buy quota nor do i plan to, i do agree we are getting it up the butt big time and with this and the electronic license poaching is running rampant. I will say one thing if i was still running my own charter i would be looking long and hard at the quota if that is what my clients wanted. I for one would be very reluctant to pay for a charter now, when the biggest salmon I could keep is maybe 15 lbs and a halibut of only 40 lbs, tough being in the charter business now, glad i got out when i did.

The crazy thing with this program is thee is ZERO accountability on the DFO side to monitor any of the licenses, it’s completely an hounor system. They are hoping that anyone that decides to get a license will reconcile with them by the end of the year anything they bonk.

This is a complete joke!

There is no way for the general public to find out who has a license from what I understand. When I asked DFO about that I was told it is private.

So there is no real way for DFO to monitor how many pounds of halibut are caught using this license besides the honest guys reconciling.

WIDE open for major abuse by both the avaerage weekend angler and guide/lodges out there.

There could be anywhere from 1000lb to 10,000lbs of Hali come out of the water on a given year and DFO would not have the slightest clue.

Seems like a crazy way to try and manage a fishery and or fish stock to me.

If a guy is allowed 6 halibut a year, and for simplicity sake lets say half of those can be 115 cm or less and the other half have to be 83 cm or less, why not just add up all the weight cumulatively and allow people to catch their limit in total weight? So lets say a 115 cm halibut weighs 40 lbs, and an 83 cm halibut weighs 15 lbs, then the total annual limit for an angler is 165 lbs. If you want to harvest a 100 lber, go ahead, but you only have 65 lbs left. Provide a simple length vs weight conversion that everyone has to work from. You'd also still have to record your catch so that there's proof of what you caught and you could still only keep one a day, or two possession.

Back