IMPORTANT NOTE FROM SFI-BC & SVIAC Re: FISHING REGS

Thanks. On the charts, I see this as being Cerantes Rocks or San Juan Point. Is this more or less correct? Basically where you would hang a right to get into Renfrew if you were boating up the island from Sooke?

Still not clear which East Point is being referred to. Where is East Point? Other than the one on Saturna Island, I can’t find another one on my electronic charts.

Can anyone provide a clear explanation?
its called San Juan Point on Navionics fyi....

Scary thing is Horgan was spouting off this morning about how he'll continue to fight the pipeline expansion (which I'm in favor of BTW) but he has more pressing issues to get back to like fighting for the salmon while supporting the rec fisherman. I had never heard him flat out support us like that. The scary part being that it's possible Mr. Dress-Up might go after us harder because of who's defending us.

Mr.Dress-up just bought us the whole pipeline so you can add 7 times the oil tanker traffic to the pile of cr*p that we are being sacrificed for... 4.5 Billion tax payer dollars, Unbelievable...

Last edited:
I fail to understand what the problem is ..
DFO is closing one area out of twenty nine on the west coast .. Will the closure work ? Maybe, maybe not, however given the current shape of the west coast fishery I can only assume that many more tough decisions will have to be made if we hope to save the fishery.
From warmer oceans, to ocean acidity, to ocean plastics to illegal fisheries there are many issues that need to be tackled if we want to reguvinate our fishery prosper .. I can only hope that our governments have the backbone to tackle these problems and look to those who care about our fishery to give them the support they need .. Next step should be closure of fish farming along the west coast ..If we don't get this working we'll "kill them all "

Here is my letter to the Honourable minister.

To Minister of Fisheries and Oceans.

I am writing to express my extreme concern about your purposed Salmon closures on the west coast in and around the Victoria
area.
I find it hard to believe that on the same day your government announced the expansion of the Trans Mountain line , with the accompanying
expansion of marine traffic that you claim killing the sport salmon fishery in this area is the best way to help the Orcas.
There has been a decline in the number of Southern resident Orcas in the last 40 years that corresponds to the end of the seal hunt.
If you decide to implement the salmon closure around Victoria, without addressing the increase in marine traffic from Kinder Morgan or
dealing with the seal problem, you will accomplish nothing.
Actually nothing is wrong, I will make it my mission in life to make sure another Liberal never gets elected on Vancouver island ever again.
I will make sure everyone who can listen will compare you stripping the people of Victoria of their birthright to catch salmon with
what the Liberals did to Alberta with the NEP .

DFO is closing one area out of twenty nine on the west coast .. Will the closure work ? Maybe, maybe not, however given the current shape of the west coast fishery I can only assume that many more tough decisions will have to be made if we hope to save the fishery.
From warmer oceans, to ocean acidity, to ocean plastics to illegal fisheries there are many issues that need to be tackled if we want to reguvinate our fishery prosper .. I can only hope that our governments have the backbone to tackle these problems and look to those who care about our fishery to give them the support they need .. Next step should be closure of fish farming along the west coast ..If we don't get this working we'll "kill them all "
The dwindling number of killer whales is just a symptom but not the real problem. The real problem is the dwindling population of chinook salmon.
This measure of closing areas is just a bandage for the symptom but not addressing the problem. For that reason this measure will not help to solve the problem. In fact if that is all the DFO can come up with then we will see this population of chinook and killer whales managed to extinction even though restrictions will get increased more and more.

Perhaps a commercial closure way up north similar to what the atlantic salmon federation has implemented around Greenland would do wonders for not only the killer whales food source but also increased opportunities for the sports fishers who contribute the most tax per fish for our ......... government

Scary stuff, when a few people or group in power can make such narrow minded discussions that affect so many, just like that. Sad part is we as society just take it and accept the ridiculous decisions. What would that closure even do aside from over crowding the spots just a little further down where all the same salmon could potentially be caught anyhow

Scary stuff, when a few people or group in power can make such narrow minded discussions that affect so many, just like that. Sad part is we as society just take it and accept the ridiculous decisions. What would that closure even do aside from over crowding the spots just a little further down where all the same salmon could potentially be caught anyhow
This closure is supposed to provide an area for SRKW to feed undisturbed (except the biggest harrassers the whale watchers haven't been excluded) not reduce the catch. Restrictions to reduce the catch 25 to 30% are still to come.

The closed areas are supposed to be quiet zones and a study is to be conducted to see if the whales will prefer fishing in the these areas over the normal traffic areas. I have had a scientist confirm that there are no proper controls in place to do a proper comparative study of any kind. There are no restrictions in place within the quiet zone for boats of any kind. In fact we could all rip around at 30-40 miles an hour and water ski in the quiet zone, that is allowed. The CDN and US navies can still do live fire exercises with 50 cal machine full auto guns or fire there bow mounted cannons, drop depth charges, that is allowed. Crab boats can still work there gear from boats larger than most sport boats with larger engines, all allowed. In fact you can troll up to the quiet zone and as long as you pull your rods you can still troll all day long in the quiet zone. So how can this study prove anything? I don't think any scientist could pass the red face test.

But which politician today would pass a red face test anyway? And do they even care? All complete and utter bs.

I think you just nailed it. "Scary stuff, when a few people or group in power ...." Could this be the straw that begins to break the back of a dis-functional federalism that is rusted as hell. Super Natural BC after Eastern libs and bought off basket case Christy BC (lobby me please) libs has now become Super Depleted BC .... fish, forests, wildlife ... BC resident home buyers ... sold out.

If by “west coast” you are referring to the west coast of Vancouver Island, your reference to one area out of 29 might be accurate, but other areas on the west coast are being closed to Chinook fishing, the Taku, Stikine and Tahltan rivers being one example. The tough decisions are being made. But I agree with you as to the very broad nature and scope of the problems that are harming the salmon populations.

Last edited:
And don't forget 7 x as many oil tankers through the "quiet zone" as of soon. Some very smart or very considerate people at play!
I believe it equates to 1 more tanker a day through the straight.

Good morning. We will all soon enough what is going to happen. Anyone that hasn't sent a letter please do so as soon as possible.

I was told yesterday "It isn't my area" from a few when I asked if they had sent letters.

I wanted to share something that makes this most frustrating and dangerous. Imagine someone tells you that bad things are coming your way in your fishery. You try too soften the blow, and work your butt of hours working with department. You come up with what the boundaries will look like with a a bunch of options. Meetings are held getting input from everyone etc. Then all of the sudden someone just announces "Hey thanks for that but I have my idea anyway". That is how I view this issue. I mean don't get me wrong this restriction is absolute *****, but think about it. You have a process you follow, and then just a few people override it? I want others that are not in this area to really think about how this restriction could set a precedent here with future decisions from our government with our fishery. I think all of us should be pissed off across BC.

So moral of this story is even if this isn't your immediate area you fish please send a letter. What happens here can also happen to you in future.

Back