IMPORTANT NOTE FROM SFI-BC & SVIAC Re: FISHING REGS

I think it's time for one of the bigger sportfish groups to offer to co ordinate with all the sportfish groups in BC to begin active protests.
One of the first things we could do is create flotillas in our respective areas with large signs on our boats stating how much we spend on fishing every year. Invite the media and local politicians, and have knowledgeable representatives give s speeches on the financial impacts of these and other proposed restrictions and solutions that the public can buy into. I'm about $10 000 per year for my boat, not including depreciation costs. I'm sure that once people understand how much money will leave the economy their ideas might change.

When a person or animal is pissed off it strikes out, pushes or does something in an aggressive manner to show it is not happy. Have you ever heard of any killer whale getting aggressive with ANY boat that is in close proximity? Never!!! The day that happens I will rethink this.

So this s how stupid these quiet zone closures are. Anyone can take a boat in there. All of us can troll up to Otter Point, pull our lines and troll around all day in the quiet zone legally. You just have to pull your gear as it is only closed to fishing. You can go in there and water ski in the quiet zone all day long and that is ok. So what kind of quiet zone protocol is that???? Doesn't sound quiet to me. Would be like closing a road to traffic because of safety concerns but allowing anyone to road race on it.

Sent. Boy is it difficult to be civil when the decision is rushed, rash and irrational.

I was trolling at Otter Point with my dad and an entire pod of killer whales Dove right under our boat! They were only meters below us passing by, the water swirled all around the boat felt like we could reach down and touch them, it was an awe moment!
When they were under the boat I instantaneously had a triple header of big Chinook springs on! The one big male killer whale traveling on the outside of the pod turned around and came to eat the Big Spring that I had on the end of my fishing line !
This is a real life experience that our presence fishing does not hinder the Killer whales feeding on schools of passing Chinook salmon. Closing the fishing grounds of Otter Point – East Point has no merits. This is true real life experience, much more than science can prove.

Last edited:
I think it's time for one of the bigger sportfish groups to offer to co ordinate with all the sportfish groups in BC to begin active protests.
One of the first things we could do is create flotillas in our respective areas with large signs on our boats stating how much we spend on fishing every year. Invite the media and local politicians, and have knowledgeable representatives give s speeches on the financial impacts of these and other proposed restrictions and solutions that the public can buy into. I'm about $10 000 per year for my boat, not including depreciation costs. I'm sure that once people understand how much money will leave the economy their ideas might change.

I totally agree with this! Is a great idea!!

On the first page of this thread wildmanyeah posted already this doc:
https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/petition-for-srkw-emergency-order_2018-01-30.pdf
On page 31 is documented what area DFO did identify as critical habitat. I wonder if DFO is following the proposed areas of the petitioners.
"...These proposed Southern Resident feeding refuges lie within habitat identified as Southern Resident critical habitat under SARA or proposed as resident killer whale critical habitat by DFO. These areas include the Southwestern shoreline of Vancouver Island through Juan de Fuca, extending westward to Pachena Bay; Boundary Pass to southwest North Pender Island and to East Point on Saturna Island; and approaches to the Fraser River..."

Last edited:
What a cluster f*ck.
Sad that everything has come down to $$ and Politics.

No decisions or restrictions in recent years have had anything to do with conservation or environmental concerns.

We are doomed when this goes through and no good will come of it.
Just further restrictions and more backdoor deals.

just wait....after this year 'closure' does nothing, they will then feel the need to expand and target that next area they marked (Renfrew to Bamfield) and shut them down too.
What a cluster f*ck.
Sad that everything has come down to $$ and Politics.

No decisions or restrictions in recent years have had anything to do with conservation or environmental concerns.

We are doomed when this goes through and no good will come of it.
Just further restrictions and more backdoor deals.

and the scary thing is, their eyes are likely on Bamfield to Renfrew next when this doesn't do anything if you look at their map

What a nice moral boost for the many anglers running and donating to the Jordan River Remediation, Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society, JdF Salmon Restoration Society, SVIAC Chinook Net Pen Project.... I am sure DFO has plenty of room in their $9.5m budget to take over all these projects when anglers lose interest due to disappearing fishing opportunities.

just wait....after this year 'closure' does nothing, they will then feel the need to expand and target that next area they marked (Renfrew to Bamfield) and shut them down too.

and the scary thing is, their eyes are likely on Bamfield to Renfrew next when this doesn't do anything if you look at their map

If you read this DFO doc at http://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/40600385.pdf the next area to close is Swiftsure Bank I bet as this is also proposed at https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/petition-for-srkw-emergency-order_2018-01-30.pdf

Still not clear which East Point is being referred to. Where is East Point? Other than the one on Saturna Island, I can’t find another one on my electronic charts.

Can anyone provide a clear explanation?

No they won't. That is too far away from the Whale Watchers.
It will creep east and we won't be fishing anywhere in Sooke or Victoria.
well i'd say even they aren't that stupid, but well, they are, so maybe you are right, but when their 'research' outlines East Point to Otter as one, and Beale to Renfrew as another region, if they blatantly ignore that and just start smothering east, all hell WILL break loose. Right now, their justification is 'protecting feeding grounds' while still giving us options to fish (even if it means a dangerous overcrowded gong show). To go east though, it would be an obvious direct attack on our fishery.

Still not clear which East Point is being referred to. Where is East Point? Other than the one on Saturna Island, I can’t find another one on my electronic charts.

East Point is off Port Renfrew. SE corner of Port of San Juan.

When running up the straight, east point is the last point of land before Port Renfrew.

Back