2018 Sidney Reports

Fished yesterday morning at Coal. Saw a few smaller fish caught maybe 6-10 lbs, had a good hit scream out line for what seemed like forever. The other boat we were fishing with said the fish looked like a good one when it got to the surface, turns out it was about 6lbs foul-hooked, so we flipped him off. Had to be 15 boats and 20 seals cruising the area. Im gonna get out one more time tomorrow before I leave for the Haida Gwaii for the summer, so good luck this season to everyone!
Thanks for all your reports. Have fun in Haida Gwaii! Heading out tomorrow to try my luck on the 2:30 tide change. From what I gather.... sandlance or coho killers and coal island should be the ticket. Last year around this time that was the case. One thing I am missing is depth u are getting them at? They were reading around 80ft on the sounder last week. I saw the pope mobile booting over from Moresby past Coal last week. Think that was the day u got one at fairfax. Know that your reports are awesome and helpful. I will post if I get anything tomorrow. Cheers

I fish the bottom 20 or 30 feet. Anywhere from 50-150' of water depending where you are. If youre marking them on the sounder, run your gear at or around that depth for the best chance. Ive also caught fish higher up the column in deeper water, so experiment a bit and figure out what works for you. :)

I fish the bottom 20 or 30 feet. Anywhere from 50-150' of water depending where you are. If youre marking them on the sounder, run your gear at or around that depth for the best chance. Ive also caught fish higher up the column in deeper water, so experiment a bit and figure out what works for you. :)
Thanks for the exciting phone call today. I answered the phone to the screaming of an Amundson TMX5 “I just wanted you to hear the run!” He said. Hilarious!

Thanks for the exciting phone call today. I answered the phone to the screaming of an Amundson TMX5 “I just wanted you to hear the run!” He said. Hilarious!
Maybe his line was just in the prop, makes the same sound :p

Thanks guys, I hope you all catch (and release) tyees in Sidney this summer! Ill be back on the island in time for the Labor Day derby in Renfrew. Popemobile over and out!

And I'll add another thank you for all your reports [and advice!] Advance - very much appreciated. Best of luck up in Haida Gwaii - wonder how AP's would work up there vs cut plug :)

I gave the Powder Wharf a quick go for the afternoon slack. One hit... big guy in the heigh teens at least. It got some nice air time then dove deep. Then he wouldn’t budge and all of a sudden it was game over :(
91’ in 110’.
I was running different AP Sandlances on each side as an ode to THX. It was the purple side that won today.
Nice to know I still have the ability to hook one!

I gave the Powder Wharf a quick go for the afternoon slack. One hit... big guy in the heigh teens at least. It got some nice air time then dove deep. Then he wouldn’t budge and all of a sudden it was game over :(
91’ in 110’.
I was running different AP Sandlances on each side as an ode to THX. It was the purple side that won today.
Nice to know I still have the ability to hook one!
Did you land that spring

And I'll add another thank you for all your reports [and advice!] Advance - very much appreciated. Best of luck up in Haida Gwaii - wonder how AP's would work up there vs cut plug :)
Last year the APs slayed! So much so that i had to get Andrew to rush an order for the other guides and this year we placed an order for all the guides to start the season.

Went out Saturday morning jigging at the Spit and landed a 8# and lost a low teener. Out this morning and released 6#.. Tide and wind was the enemy today..

Went out Saturday morning jigging at the Spit and landed a 8# and lost a low teener. Out this morning and released 6#.. Tide and wind was the enemy today..
What kind of rods and reels are you guys jigging with?

Using a 9 ft rod with a shimano gt 1000 because it is lite. My other set-up is a 10 ft rod with a islander mr-2 but that feels heavy compared to the 9 ft. My buddy yesterday was using a 9 ft rod with a spinning reel and that works also. I want a lite set-up because i,m jigging for 3-4 hours. Others i,m sure have there favorite rig ?

Back