Selected Mark Fishery-What do U think

If there are going to be restrictions, then all user groups should restrict their fishing equally. Most importantly, there NEEDS to be a cohesive coast wide plan to restore habitat. Both fresh and salt water, followed by plans to increase the numbers of fish. If the trend continues there will be nothing for us to catch ever. Lets stop the infighting, and get all user groups to participate for the benefit of everyone.

As post on the other thread; as it didn't get any traction thought I would be throw it out again...

Well done mods. If those who choose to use this forum as a way to discuss fishery management can simply spend more time on ideas that may actually produce opportunity rather than things that unfortunately are out of our control it may allow for it to help us all gain a better understanding of a reasonable path forward.

How about changing the discussion to members views of how a fishery based on a combination of marked fish and size limits like we currently have in place in JdF is working?
Does 85 cm represent a decent fish these days? How many fish bigger than that do you encounter in an average day? How many marked fish do you catch and in what months? What do you think might be something we can do rather than what you think other sectors should do to get ourselves out of this mess?
CP Quote.
If we can focus on solutions rather than problems this forum may actually be able to help.

My comments from a JDF Straight fisherman who has been subject to these restrictions for years:
- I think that 85 cm is a decent fish for my area 19/20 that I fish (the best eating size)
- until August I usually encounter at most 1 or 2 fish over 85 cm in a day
- from March 1 to June 15 there are plenty of marked fish around and I (and fishing partners) can keep a 8 to 15 lb. fish (or a few) most days that I fish. On good days I may release 3 or 4 unmarked fish over 67 cm in a day
- winter fishing December to March is mostly marked fish in area 20-5
- I used to avoid fishing salmon when these restrictions were on but now fish them. I personally do not use bait at all so that there is minimal chance of damaging the fish that must be released. I use spoons mostly with small 3/0 Mustad siwash hooks to minimize hook damage and to make releasing the fish easy as well
- After the middle of June the hatchery fish start to thin out and a hatchery only fishery would not be practical. The 85 cm max size would be o.k. for me as most fish around till August are within that size limit
- I am not bothered by releasing a large fish but I know this is a problem for some anglers, especially if they have deep hooked it with tandem trebles and they know it may die upon release.
...Rob

As many stocks grow-up in these area's this years "under 85" could be next years "over 85". By releasing larger fish you are just increasing total mortality of a stock of concern by 20% or so from mortality of released fish.
The goal should be reduced total mortality & IMO catch reductions do that best.

Back