PSF releases study that PRV virus from farmed Atlantic may cause disease in Chinook salmon

You know guys all the links and studies you find on the net may be convincing you that it is all natural and all good. Yes, from behind your computer and, “on paper”, it is all fine but when you go out to those places and roll rocks over looking for life you too might realise that it is not all fine and dandy!! There are no starfish, mussels or urchins like a healthy marine environment should have. The streams have no invertebrates. There is some bad chemistry happening there and so says the lack of ecology regardless of what the internet has to say.
I give. You guys win for now. Stop fish farms ya!!

That's quite the assumptions you are making, FM: 1/ only you and nobody else who posts on this forum gets out past their computers, and 2/ if we agree that FFs have consequences/impacts to wild stocks - and even back that up w data/studies - that approach/perspective MUST necessarily disagree with yours - that water chemistry alone is what is wrong w wild stocks....

Last edited:
AA 1-Do you or anyone else on this forum ever conduct field research on invertebrates or stream chemistry on any of the streams with dying fish populations?
2-I have seen dying ecology coastwide with my own eye for many years,(even areas with no farms), and then looked for a credible scientific explanation for why. My conclusion has been discussed already. I do not believe fish farms come anywhere close to the negative effects that chemistry has had. Again this is based on extensive long term field observations and reading all kinds of science for both subjects. I’m curious, do you believe all the negative effects of fish farms solely from what you read or do you have any first hand experience in farms or disease testing?

Please do not reply by posting a report. I would like to here what true experience you have rather than someone else’s opinions.

almost every day, FM - on both -as do the researchers that publish the articles I give links to - and I still believe that FFs can and do have a negative influence on our wild stocks - esp diseases and parasites. They have somewhat addressed the sea lice issue since the science started on that in 2003 or so in BC. We are at the early stages of addressing the second - only now.

Last edited:
almost every day, FM - on both - and I still believe that FFs can and do have a negative influence on our wild stocks - esp diseases and parasites. They have somewhat addressed the sea lice issue since the science started on that in 2003 or so in BC. We are at the early stages of addressing the second - only now.
You do. That’s great! What streams have you been sampling for invertebrates and chemistry?? Also, what farms do visit to collect samples to be tested??

LOL! he asked you to report your experiences in disease testing and not post reports ... so you post videos.
Do you have first hand experience in what Fishmyster asks, or not?

LOL! he asked you to report your experiences in disease testing and not post reports ... so you post videos.

Dave and Fishmyster
what do your posts have to do with the subject?????
"PSF releases study that PRV virus from farmed Atlantic may cause disease in Chinook salmon"

And...shockingly, another FF thread veering off the original topic and getting personal. Discuss the subject matter in the thread title or have your content removed. Make a personal comment to stir the pot and you will be banned...your choice.

from the article...
"In a statement on Monday, Vance Chow, an official with DFO, welcomed the new scientific study, and noted that Ottawa has already appointed an independent expert panel to look at the role of science in the decision-making process for aquaculture. He added, however, that “there are no documented cases” of PRV leading to disease in wild Pacific salmon."

YellowSalmon2011.jpg

What the hell is turning pink salmon yellow in the Fraser River?
by Stephen Hui on October 6th, 2011 at 1:06 PM
https://www.straight.com/blogra/what-hell-turning-pink-salmon-yellow-fraser-river

Seems to me there is evidence that we are seeing this. This fish was taken from a tributary of the Harrison River. Yes this is the same river that is one of the reasons why we will be seeing some of the most restrictive chinook regulations in the history of Canada. Let that sink in for a minute.

Actually, yellow pink salmon are fairly common wherever you find pinks. I have seen them on the Vedder since I started fishing in 1960.
Nice one GLG.

Actually, yellow pink salmon are fairly common wherever you find pinks. I have seen them on the Vedder since I started fishing in 1960.
Nice one GLG.
Dave, do you consider yellowish pink salmon to be expressing clinical signs of disease? Do you recall if the yellowish pinks were lethargic in comparison to pinks in "normal" colour?
I used to fish commercially and caught a lot of pinks. I only noticed the odd yellowish one.

I suspect these fish are showing jaundice and on the very few I dissected I recall enlarged yellowish livers and bright green gall bladders, otherwise the fish appeared robust and healthy. I have seen this yellowing on fall white chinooks but never on sockeye, chum, coho or steelhead.

Dr Riddell and PSF also doesn't study salmon productivity from the "bottom up" as advertised. Salmon begin their life in fresh water and there are four steps ignored by PSF. Starting at the real bottom is suitable chemistry, bacterial composition, micro invertebrates and then macro invertebrates in fresh water. Maybe I'm missing something and someone here could correct me but I cannot find any efforts that research these ecological steps on their web site???

Scientists claiming to study salmon productivity who will not include all factors do not have much credibility in my eyes. They appear more politically and socially driven then having a scientific mandate.
Are you suggesting that this virus just appears in fresh water streams? That finding this killer virus in Chinook is not contributing to declines?
It seems your statement is trying to deflect the fact that this killer foreign virus is not killing as many salmon as have disappeared, even though the decline matches the number of farms from when they first started?
Man you won't be healthy very long if you discount a doctor telling you a disease is present but he isn't testing dirt samples so the doctor is a quack, even though those around you are dropping like flies.

So the oceans are warming, how do you fix that? Any solution is global and long term, so don't bother doing anything else to stop species extinction? Why not just exterminate the entire salmon population while waiting for China to stop driving cars, then there are no more issues to deal with.

Deal with what can be dealt with on a local (provincial) level and will have an faster effect than waiting 1 or 2 hundred years, I am not saying don't address that issue as well but this can be dealt with immediately and have an effect.

The politicians will need more money from the farms now to ignore more scientists, these scientists are usually fired after finding something the government doesn't like, that last idiot that said there was no virus kept his job for more than decade lying.

Are you suggesting that this virus just appears in fresh water streams? That finding this killer virus in Chinook is not contributing to declines?
It seems your statement is trying to deflect the fact that this killer foreign virus is not killing as many salmon as have disappeared, even though the decline matches the number of farms from when they first started?
Man you won't be healthy very long if you discount a doctor telling you a disease is present but he isn't testing dirt samples so the doctor is a quack, even though those around you are dropping like flies.

So the oceans are warming, how do you fix that? Any solution is global and long term, so don't bother doing anything else to stop species extinction? Why not just exterminate the entire salmon population while waiting for China to stop driving cars, then there are no more issues to deal with.

Deal with what can be dealt with on a local (provincial) level and will have an faster effect than waiting 1 or 2 hundred years, I am not saying don't address that issue as well but this can be dealt with immediately and have an effect.

The politicians will need more money from the farms now to ignore more scientists, these scientists are usually fired after finding something the government doesn't like, that last idiot that said there was no virus kept his job for more than decade lying.
Good post.

My house caught on fire, I need to be a physicist to know fire burns?

If I feed my fish every 5 days and then they start dying do I need a degree to figure out maybe I wasn't feeding them enough?

If I put a steel bar in a fire, it will get hot, how much fuel will determine how hot and how fast. The salmon are declining, FF farms started at the same time, the more farms, the more the decline. Is there a relationship?

Results oriented findings can have more weight than theoretical, easy way to find out and the FF's should be all over agreeing as they strongly support that FF's aren't responsible, stop FF's for 10 years and see if stocks rebound to pre farm numbers or increase significantly. See if this killer virus disappears. If the status quo remains and stocks continue to decline and the virus is as prevalent as it is now, then the FF will get 10 years free rent.

Worldwide people are preferring not to buy farmed fish if they have a choice.

Washington state has now banned fish farms. Alaska already has.

What happens if Washington and Alaska go to court for damages if they find this virus in their fish and the only source is in BC? They take species extinction seriously there. The Orca population is theirs too and they are concerned.

Apr 24, 2018 - The federal government is fumbling the management of fish farms, while failing to enforce rules and manage risks ... This spring, Washington State decided to phase out its non-native fish farms, following Alaska, which prohibits fin fish farming

Look everyone is out of step but Johnny!

didnt washington state banned atlantic farms not fish farms?

Results oriented findings can have more weight than theoretical, easy way to find out and the FF's should be all over agreeing as they strongly support that FF's aren't responsible, stop FF's for 10 years and see if stocks rebound to pre farm numbers or increase significantly. See if this killer virus disappears. If the status quo remains and stocks continue to decline and the virus is as prevalent as it is now, then the FF will get 10 years free rent.

how does this explain low numbers in areas of the coast that have no farms

edit: don't be fooled by alaska they farm also its called ranching

Back