2018 Port Renfrew Reports

Stayed at Wild Coast Cottages in Villa Joanne Monday to Wednesday for my first unguided trip. Easy access to marina/ramp and enough room to park truck and boat at cottage. Hindsight charters was very sharing with info and even some gave me some used spoons but I was unable to convert to halibut or springs. Mediocre weather so only put in 4hrs of fishing over 2 days. Saw 3 other boats maximum. Easily picked up a couple rockfish and a legal ling for dinner while bottom jigging tho. Threw the fly successfully for rockfish and greenling too.

Got a couple legal crabs along the beach near other traps but it was not great crabbing. Suspect better crabbing elsewhere in bay based on reports. Chicken was a much better crab bait than fresh rockfish carcass.

heading out tomorrow to set up camp for the season at port Renfrew marina,cant wait,will report when I come back on Monday

camp set up,well the wife not all that happy,have too work on that lol,not much fishing for me,few fish coming in from camper on sat ,crabbing is very good.Jackel seen your boat is the drink,assuming you be fishing soon,there a few at camper waiting for your cut plug to go by lol

camp set up,well the wife not all that happy,have too work on that lol,not much fishing for me,few fish coming in from camper on sat ,crabbing is very good.Jackel seen your boat is the drink,assuming you be fishing soon,there a few at camper waiting for your cut plug to go by lol
Lol got up at 4 am Friday looked at the forecast on the computer, went back to bed, hope to get out late next week, retiring so have all the time to fish now :)

Lol got up at 4 am Friday looked at the forecast on the computer, went back to bed, hope to get out late next week, retiring so have all the time to fish now :)
nice,ya it was blowing pretty good all weekend,ok in am early but wind pick up in afternoon,wife as been looking at property in your area,have to go check it out on my way up or down soon.Happy retirement poor fish and wildlife they **** now lol

So, I was planning on a trip up from the US in a couple of weeks, but it looks like even west of Port Renfrew will be closed along the beach as of June 1? Am I understanding that right?

So, I was planning on a trip up from the US in a couple of weeks, but it looks like even west of Port Renfrew will be closed along the beach as of June 1? Am I understanding that right?
Looks that way but I would wait until the 1st to see if that’s what the announcement is. Lots of pain for a lot of people....
T2

I believe East point is referring to southern east end of Saturna Island not Port Renfrew.
So from east of Otter point to west of East point might be closed and west of otter pint will be open.

It is East Point just south of Renfrew and back towards Sooke. No announcement yet but that has been going around.

What they said at the meeting for port renfrew was from out side of east point,Do they know what they are doing close it for watching boats can see some sea lions eat salmon,and pushing all the fishermen in one spot now

I believe East point is referring to southern east end of Saturna Island not Port Renfrew.
So from east of Otter point to west of East point might be closed and west of otter pint will be open.
I think you have your east and west mixed up lol

First day fishing renfrew, put the lines in 6:45 am, first fish on 6:47, scrappy 15 lber, short time later a nice black headed 20 lber, with fresh seal marks on its head, checked the crab trap 4 **** hard crab :D , then i had to wait for water in the river. Home now fish all processed and time for a nap :)
told you there was a few waiting for the famous Jackel cut plug twist,good job.
Too bad you didn't have any friends to fish with, you could have fished longer
Jackel as no friend lol

Last edited:
Put in a long shift along the beach yesterday with nothing to show for. A bunch of shakers but otherwise absolutely dead! Watched at least 10 other boats around us and saw one maybe 6lbs spring being landed by the fleet. Ouch!

Crabbing was good though.

Thanks for the report. Was on the fence about making a run out there next weekend but it seemed just a tad early. Might wait a couple more weeks to save the $$$.

Are there any nearshore halibut areas that aren't affected by the closure (west of Renfrew)? The spots I've fished before are now closed. I've got a 14 year old daughter that wants to catch one and she doesn't do well with swells, so I can't really fish Swiftsure. Thanks in advance!

Back