2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Got out early headed over to Oak Bay flats & got a hatch male keeper on the south west edge of Brodie rock at 102 ft on chrome/yellow chovie teaser. Hooked from the outside of the gill plate on my new Stizzla trailing hook. No other bites until 2 pm on the south west side of Brochie Ledge at 77ft on an AP sandlance (MVP) . This was a scrappy side to side and under the boat 6 lb female hatch. Small guy had 3 needlefish in the belly and the female had two 6 in herring, 1. small anchovy and a couple needlefish in her. Both fish came in on my rod so I had my first limit, but buddy says not taking me anymore lol.

Pretty slow day out front for salmon. Just when ya think you're onto it poof,nada. Was a picture perfect day for a boat ride. I heard a large pod of orcas were at Constance today.

Trolled and jigged all over the flats. Nothing on the sounder anywhere but hit a 7lb spring jigging around 11am on bottom in 110ft.IMG_20180425_111802275_HDR.jpg Didn't see anyone else hook a fish out of 6 other boats around. A few decent crab showed up in the traps to finish a beautiful day.

Took the NautiGirl out for a test run on Saturday to make sure my carb rebuild and other tweaks worked as planned. Success. Ripped over to the flats for a quick rinse of the lures. Army truck hootchie and glow squirt both got bites when bouncing bottom on the incoming tide. Landed a 7 hatch, and had a reel knuckle buster screamer that ripped away for a stretch, turned and sped towards us faster than I could reel and spat the hook. That was motivational to get out there boys. There are some big fish around.

Fished all day off of the waterfront to Clover Point and over to Albert Head. We released a small hatchery at the boat. That was the only hit for the day.

Whats been happening? Everyone keeping their cards close to their chests?

I was around Flats and the Gap yesterday for couple hours and again this morning. Not much on sounder and jigged no salmon. Didn't see any of the 10 trollers appear to hook anything either.

Knucklehead commercial has stuck a string of pots on the flats in 70'. Watch out between the two blue floats if you are bottom bouncing.

Got out for the first time this year from about 6-930am Did a few loops around Brodie, and then trolled up through The Gap. Nothing but an undersized ling. Only maybe 3 other boats out early. Lots more boats on the way out when I came in. Didn't see any action, but beautiful morning.

Hit constance for hali for about 4 hrs in 2 spots. No bites or dogs. Looked slow on the other boats too. Ripped in to waterfront and bounced bottom and picked up a nice 12lb spring. A nice end to a slow sunny day.

Back