Downrigger clip question

frenchcreek

I just changed over to 65# braid on my reel and put about 30' of mono on the end as a leader/tippet. Do I attach the release clip to the braid or the mono?

mono
braid lighter than 100lb test will just slip out of the clip even on max setting

i run 50lb braid with 25lb two rod length top shot ...
and its worked well for the last 10 years

Why do you guys run braided line ? I have always said braided line is for people that can play fish lol and is a mess when it gets hung up or tangled ,I use 25 pound Max and have caught 40 plus pound fish with it so need for 65 pound braid and of course this is my opinion

Why do you guys run braided line ? I have always said braided line is for people that can play fish lol and is a mess when it gets hung up or tangled ,I use 25 pound Max and have caught 40 plus pound fish with it so need for 65 pound braid and of course this is my opinion

Because it doesn't stretch. And you only have to replace 50' of mono instead of changing a bunch of mono

It does stretch not as much though but still don't see the reason for it why not use 25 pound braid then ? And not 65 lol

It does stretch not as much though but still don't see the reason for it why not use 25 pound braid then ? And not 65 lol

Somewhat personal preference. I only run 30# braid though.

Two main reasons I use braid:

1. Less line drag and blow back with braid.

2. Braid is waaay more sensitive for those subtle bites (shakers, jacks, etc). End up seeing it sooner on the rod tip and avoid dragging them around for half an hour. Same for if you pick up a rock fish, dogfish, etc. Hard to see anything with mono with 200’ of line out.

As for stretch, it’s not so ‘little’. Depending on your sources, 10-15%. Assuming this, that’s 20-30’ of stretch at 200’ of line. Unless your line is pulled off the clip, it’s hard to see much of anything quite often.

mono
braid lighter than 100lb test will just slip out of the clip even on max setting

i run 50lb braid with 25lb two rod length top shot ...
and its worked well for the last 10 years
I'm not sure why everyone says that or maybe we've been doing something wrong but I fish 30lb test braid and that's all we have ever fished, because I don't like mono, and I've never had issues with the clip popping, sure it pops easier then mono but it doesn't normally pop prematurely

It depends on what style or release clip you are using. If you are using the padded Scotty ones then yes it does seem to pop off easily, at least until that wax or whatever they put on the braid wears off. There are release clips out there that have no problems holding onto the braid. I like to use a topshot too, the mono allows for a stretch and may be less visible underwater.
If fishing hootchies and sometimes spoonsI have used 65lb braid attached to the flasher and a scotty hairtrigger release adjusted tightly.

I've been using Suffix 832 braid for about 6 years now as my main line. I run 50#, then 40# florocarbon as a tag line (40 or so feet). You want to attach the scotty clip only to the mono...never the braid. Several reasons.

1. Braid is slippery and the clip will release
2. Braid is also very hard, and when you run into big chinooks that pull hard it will bury the line in the clip and it will cut through and never release...busted a few fish before realizing the cause.

Why use braid as your main line...here are the reasons:

1. Very little stretch - especially helpful setting the hook when fishing deep
2. Braid lasts about 4 seasons before you need to change it, unlike mono...which I changed at least once, possibly twice a season (I do a lot of trips/season)
3. Braid is super sensitive, and as stated by another poster you can see the bites way easier

I've been hard core salt water fishing now for 41 years or so, and never seen a line better than Suffix 832.

Been using 20# PowerPro for over 20 years. Less resistance is better; never had the line break. It's the last 20-30 feet of line that take most of the abuse, so the mono top shot can be changed often as needed - I currently use 40# mono as it stays in the clip better. Keep it out of the sun/weather & braid will last over 10 years - how many times would you be changing mono over those 10 years? Less belly/slack in the line while trolling is better if you are like me & like to eat Salmon.

Been using 20# PowerPro for over 20 years. Less resistance is better; never had the line break. It's the last 20-30 feet of line that take most of the abuse, so the mono top shot can be changed often as needed - I currently use 40# mono as it stays in the clip better. Keep it out of the sun/weather & braid will last over 10 years - how many times would you be changing mono over those 10 years? Less belly/slack in the line while trolling is better if you are like me & like to eat Salmon.

Whats the best knot to join the braided and Mono?

I use the Albrite knot
7edb1d304cab41f8be20019c524a4309_BainKAlbright_1.jpg

Some strong opinions about braid for a non braid user!! Can't knock it until you try it. lol

I personally use 80lb braid right to me clip followed by a leader of 30lb flouro. The 80lb holds in the clip perfectly yet released when a fish hit. There are huge benifits when fishing deep and being able to see little hits.

It's not about the lb rating for me....because there is a 30lb leader at the end anyways. AND....it is WAY easier to land a big fish with a full spool of bungee cord mono....so no need for the almighty comments that it is more sporting to use mono. With braid the energy is all transferred to the rod and not just absorbed by the mono.

ps....I also swap on the fly and use the same reel/line to hali fish, ling, etc.

Whats the best knot to join the braided and Mono?
For regular braid the Albright is fine. Was at a resort & a guide did my splice; he didn't get the knot very compact & it hung-up on a rod guide. If you use hollow core braid like Toro Tamer you thread the mono inside the braid using what is known as a "served connection". This year I will be upgrading all my solid braid to hollow braid as it is well over 10 years old.
www.charkbait.com is the go-too source for questions about braid.

As for stretch, it’s not so ‘little’. Depending on your sources, 10-15%. Assuming this, that’s 20-30’ of stretch at 200’ of line. Unless your line is pulled off the clip, it’s hard to see much of anything quite often.

Reading this thread has me thinking of switching to braid with mono leader.

That seems like a heck of a lot of stretch?

Reading this thread has me thinking of switching to braid with mono leader.

That seems like a heck of a lot of stretch?
A lot of stretch indeed. This was our first winter of fishing the braid and mono combination for bottom bouncing the depths off Bowen and first spring of using it off fishing off Porlier and Thrasher and I won't go back ... has been far easier to read the bites, particularly the undersized, and far easier to pop the lines off of the clips (was a big issue for my much better half) given the more limited mono stretch to deal with.

Back