2018 Nanaimo Reports

Had a great day out on the water today, Fished polier pass, landed 4 nice sized fish really fast, overall had about 10 (quick released) Fishing 80ft-130 on line. 125 seemed best.

Wow, very humbled today out front in the spoil grounds/fingers........ everyone seemed to get there fish except me. Was fishing everywhere between 130-200 and only a shaker. Typical spoons (irish creme,pink sink) but nothing. Speeds varied also from 2,2.5 and even 3. Any pointers?

Sometimes that's just the way she goes. Everyone has days like that. But I will say anything less than 2.8 mph sog is too slow. I'm usually 3-3.2, these fish right now are aggressively feeding and you want to trigger that instinctive bite with a fast troll.

Thanks for the heads up on the speed, was pretty tough watching everyone hook up hahaha but i guess the good days wouldnt be so great without the rough ones right?

Sloppy start with the NW, but got into about 15 fish yesterday, all under though unfortunately. 4" spoons @ 120-160. Anywhere from the fingers, out to the spoil grounds.

Epic day of fishing yesterday at thrasher. 12 fish to the boat. Got our 4 by 2pm. Big spoons deep water 600 to 700 ft. 160 to 180 on the riggers

Attachments

• 20180424_150440-1_resized.jpg
    20180424_150440-1_resized.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 132
Awesome! Thanks for the tip,
Also depends on cannon size, amount of gear and depth. So yah. Figure that one out lol.

I only have 15lbers so if I'm stacking with flashers and fishing 150'+ Im at more like a 65 degree angle, in which case I'll drop gear to 200' to actually fish 160'. One naked spoon on an 18 lb cannon at 60' you could go 10 MPH and still only be at a 30 degree angle.

Good Luck!

Angle of dangle can change with ball weight as previously stated. Also another factor is cable or braid. I'm a braid guy and I use heavy braid which gives alot of blow back. I need to use an 18lb ball to fish deep but canso was telling me that he uses yellow tough line xp and only needs a 15lb ball to go deep. So food for thought

I heard the hootchie rumour but no hits on them. Put three in the box on Kitchen sink. One shaker and 5 coho released. 140' Was The majic number. Trolling fast.

Weather must have turned them off. One just under today. Same spot. Variety of depths and tackle tried. Soggy.

Definitely a little slower today but we still managed six 7=10 lbers. Spoons were a no show, everything on hootchies and a plug

If you don't mind me asking, what hootchies were working for you. I didn't get a sniff on them today.

Back