Fishing The Salmon Highway - Esperanza

Prairie Locked

Hey everyone,

I'm posting this to try to glean some insight from those of you that have fished the 'salmon highway' in Esperanza Canyon.

This will be a new fishery that we will be exploring May 11-15th.

I was fortunate to be asked to accompany @Waterwolf2230 on his maiden voyage to Christen the new vessel. I think the bottom fishing is firmly in our grips so have a handle on that.

We both are very comfortable and experienced on ECVI so would appreciate any insight, hints, tips or suggestions anyone could offer. Anything shared via PM will be handled with the strictest of confidence.

What we understand, the salmon highway is roughly located around the 50 fathom mark and that they can tend to congregate to feed on shallower shelves in the area.

How about gear? Plugs, spoons, hoochies, etc and sizes (smaller or larger)? What about running anchovies or herring? Are needlefish a staple this time of year?

The plan is to share our findings in part in a web series and also in the Esperanza reports. Waterwolf is planning to put together an epic product that will include a ton of information including reviews of different products and gear.

If you'd be interested in sharing, it would both be appreciated and reciprocated.

Thanks in advance! Tight lines

Kevin and Curtis

Was there two years ago instead of our typical Nootka trip. Our timing was first week of June so certainly different than yours. We caught a few fish on the shore areas, and did best with the GSB army truck needlefish. Out farther we found the fish deep - 160-200 feet on the rigger. For these we were quite successful with small cop car spoons. Hope this helps.

if weather allows us to roll out to the the T or glory hole, will troll bait usually 100' or deeper. if were fishing tighter, say seahorse, will troll bait but higher up 50-120'. depends were the coho are depth wise.

Yup....the T is great.

@Prairie Locked You're going to be there early so don't just focus on the highway but yes you have the right depth as far as looking at contours. Have been in Kyuquot in late May and the highway was quiet but reefs a few miles offshore were on fire.

In saying all that.....the fish are where they are and you just never know. ;););)

Yup....the T is great.

@Prairie Locked You're going to be there early so don't just focus on the highway but yes you have the right depth as far as looking at contours. Have been in Kyuquot in late May and the highway was quiet but reefs a few miles offshore were on fire.

In saying all that.....the fish are where they are and you just never know. ;););)

Thanks Pippen,

For sure, don’t want to waste time and effort and I doubt we’ll focus on the highway. That’s why we’re asking now and can read charts and forecast in advance accordingly. The plan is to focus on bottom fishing and add in targeting springs here and there. Obviously weather and water conditions will dictate a lot too.

For those uninformed, where is the T located?

Thanks all for the intel already!

For those uninformed, where is the T located?

!

If I didn't leave my iPad at the airport in Houston last night I would take a screen shot from Navionics for you. :(:mad::(:confused::oops:

If you look on charts....kind of due west of the north side entrance to Esperanza out at the 50 fathom line you'll see some structure that roughly looks like a slightly off kilter "T".

If I didn't leave my iPad at the airport in Houston last night I would take a screen shot from Navionics for you. :(:mad::(:confused::oops:

If you look on charts....kind of due west of the north side entrance to Esperanza out at the 50 fathom line you'll see some structure that roughly looks like a slightly off kilter "T".

That sucks!

This roughly the ‘T’?

Attachments

• 8E4EBB3B-B232-4AB7-886F-83E4CE107D4A.png
    8E4EBB3B-B232-4AB7-886F-83E4CE107D4A.png
    250.9 KB · Views: 179
From a previous codfather report, i have the T at 49N45.382 127W21.643
The Pins 49N47.202 126W59.794

I'll be two days behind you @Prairie Locked (17th-21st)! Looking forward to hearing how you do as we are traveling up!
I've got an idea! Andrew, send us up some of the lures you want tested and by the time you get there we'll have it dialed in for you! I'll be sure to run some Grand Slam Bucktails. They were by far my hottest trolling lure last summer. Blue 4" Herring. I'll bring an assortment of the smaller profile needles. Last year every ling we caught would barf up pails full of small needlefish. I also want to run plugs out there. If the bait is small like that would you guys think running 5" classics would be the ticket? I've got some killer new colors to test.

Last edited:
@Waterwolf2230 - there’s so much testing that you want to do, it’s going to be a full time job just to write reports to post and edit the web series. It’s going to be awesome.

My early pre-trip favourite to test has to be one of the Tackle Shack’s new custom plugs for this year. It’s going to be an epic plug but I won’t let the cat out of the bag yet on that one though. It will be wonderful and a bread winner for sure ;)

yes..... as well as three other holes

if your after white meat you do not have to go that far out in may. lots of spots closer.
if you looking for salmon, then best bet.

Thanks bones, appreciate that.

Luckily, yes the white meat is much closer for sure

If we haven't mopped up our slim quota by then, look for the trollers.
They will indicate where the largest concentrations of fish are.
Be wise to not get in our way though, a bit tricky to turn tight or back up on our gear to avoid running you over.

Good Luck.
I'm running the Big Rig up tonight.

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for the tip. Something we’ve chatted about and are aware of. Fortunately we’re both respectful and will keep a safe distance and significant buffer. There’s plenty of real estate out there, no need to crowd and pressure anyone. That’s why I never fish the crowds at places like Kitty. I stay a good kilometre away.

No worries.
Only reason I mention this was for the benefit of the DumbAss who anchored up for hali's on one of our tacks. No Flags, no legal indication he was parked. No surprise when he got smoked. Then had the brass to come on here and try to lay the blame of the troller. LOL! Wonder if he even understands the legalities involved as of yet??

Be Safe & Have Fun! Hope you find a few good ones!

Cheers,
Nog

No worries.
Only reason I mention this was for the benefit of the DumbAss who anchored up for hali's on one of our tacks. No Flags, no legal indication he was parked. No surprise when he got smoked. Then had the brass to come on here and try to lay the blame of the troller. LOL! Wonder if he even understands the legalities involved as of yet??

Be Safe & Have Fun! Hope you find a few good ones!

Cheers,
Nog

All valid points. I’d be more inclined to try to communicate with the commercial guys to ask their plans and express my intent. Why not work together?

As for being in the ‘right’, I learned long ago to always yeild to size and weight, because being in the right and dead is still dead...

Common sense and some courtesy go much further than ignorance and stubbornness IMHO.

If we haven't mopped up our slim quota by then, look for the trollers.
They will indicate where the largest concentrations of fish are.
Be wise to not get in our way though, a bit tricky to turn tight or back up on our gear to avoid running you over.

Good Luck.
I'm running the Big Rig up tonight.

Cheers,
Nog
Good Luck up there. I certainly hope you're not still fishing 10-12 days into this opening. Go get em.

Back