Deadline of tomorrow to sign Safe Salmon Declaration

i'm confused where does it say the deadline is tomorrow? " Deadline of tomorrow to sign Safe Salmon Declaration" also what do you mean by "This declaration is being launched tomorrow."

Morton has over 5k facebook friends if she wanted to get people to sign it there would be already thousands of signatures. Not to mention david suzuki, or the other named signatory groups.

"Wild salmon are resilient. They can survive the many other perils they face if we give them a fighting chance. Canada has an opportunity to be a world leader in wild fish restoration, truly sustainable aquaculture, and First Nations reconciliation. We therefore call on the Governments of British Columbia and Canada to defend and restore wild Pacific salmon by taking the following actions without delay:

• Where First Nations do not consent to the presence of open net-pen salmon farms, honour your commitments to implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples by taking immediate action to remove existing farms.
    • Expand the current moratorium on new open net-pen salmon farms on BC’s north coast to cover all BC coastal waters.
    • Freeze production levels at all remaining open net-pens, and do not renew their licenses or tenures when they expire, unless the science shows earlier removal is necessary.
    • Assess the status of all BC wild salmon populations and their habitats, and implement rebuilding plans for at-risk stocks."

"Assess the status of all BC wild salmon populations and their habitats, and implement rebuilding plans for at-risk stocks."

Do you guys support this? what if rebuilding means shutting down fisheries? Have you guys reviewed the current IFMP and submitted your concerns March 13 was the deadline.

Have you guys reviewed DFO current proposal to protect Thompson Steelhead? How about the current DFO Proposal for Interior Steelhead? How about DFO's current proposal on SRKW does it do enough or would you like to see more area's closed down?

If shutting down some fisheries is whats required to get our stocks to rebound, then Im all for it. That "me me me" attitude is part of the problem, and Id rather be a part of the solution. Not saying that DFO has all the answers because theyre clearly guilty of mismanaging stocks for it to get to this point, but somethings gotta give.

I spoke to a friend who is involved in this. The deadline for signing of yesterday was only for featured signers that they show on the link with their photos. It's still open to sign so keep the signatures coming!

If shutting down some fisheries is whats required to get our stocks to rebound, then Im all for it. That "me me me" attitude is part of the problem, and Id rather be a part of the solution. Not saying that DFO has all the answers because theyre clearly guilty of mismanaging stocks for it to get to this point, but somethings gotta give.
I agree with this completely. Thanks for posting! My only caveat is that 'me me me' INCLUDES ALL those that fish the fishery...there is no way to accept this if it is anything other than all or none. Limiting one or two sectors will only result in limiting one or two sectors...:)

Did this a couple days ago... :)

Back