Preliminary 2018 salmon outlook/Forecast/Management Measures

FYI....these endangered 8-16lbs reds and 15/30lb whites are being sold at 2$ a lb...
And sorry rights don’t matter if a stock is going extinct!!
Also with how low the Fraser is right now it will be like shooting fish in a barrel.
Peak migration for the endangered Lillooet/Birkenhead fish...as well as the early stock Nicola fish which are at all time lows!

Last edited:
I have a very simple solution to this complex situation. If this fishery is truly a FSC fishery then change the laws for everyone else. Make the penalty for any non status native buying these ceremonial/food fish a mandatory minimum $10000 fine. And put that money into hatchery production. A win/win.

I have a very simple solution to this complex situation. If this fishery is truly a FSC fishery then change the laws for everyone else. Make the penalty for any non status native buying these ceremonial/food fish a mandatory minimum $10000 fine. And put that money into hatchery production. A win/win.
That’s all good and dandy but what about fining the seller selling it also? Kinda like fining all the seafood stores that buy poached seafood and get caught.... both face court and fines... until there is a level playing field.... the rape and pillage will continue on

That’s all good and dandy but what about fining the seller selling it also? Kinda like fining all the seafood stores that buy poached seafood and get caught.... both face court and fines... until there is a level playing field.... the rape and pillage will continue on
That's the whole point, if our current governments mandate is reconciliation at any cost there is no way they are going after anyone with a status card. I agree with you 100% though.

Yeah but then the fish will just end up rotting in a ditch somewhere anyway. Shut down the river and they will still fish anyways. DFO doesn’t have the resources to enforce a closure. They are going to keep netting until every salmon is gone. Then they will prob start on the sturgeon after that. If anything will save that river it will have to start with a massive amount of funding from the government.

I've seen some comments about a complete closure in the Strait starting in mid-June for Orca protection. Is that just talk/rumor or is there a possibility of that actually happening? Need to make some plans and would hate to lose a deposit on rental house.

I've seen some comments about a complete closure in the Strait starting in mid-June for Orca protection. Is that just talk/rumor or is there a possibility of that actually happening? Need to make some plans and would hate to lose a deposit on rental house.

That is a total rumour and fabrication. Very unlikely we are looking at broad based closures. Think you are safe to plan your trip.

The facts are that there are a few stocks of concern both in the North and South. For the North, in particular the Skeena and Nass Chinook are in dire straights, and it is very likely there will be management measures necessary to ensure we get enough mature spawning adults safely in the river. No one will be exempt.

As for the South Coast, there are 3 Fraser stocks of particular concern. We are still awaiting some further work on catch modelling to examine a number of potential management measures that could be applied to achieve the catch reductions necessary to successfully pass these stocks into the river in sufficient numbers to accomplish the spawning goals. Those models and management options will be discussed in the next 2 weeks, and ultimately with the SFAC Chairs prior to finalizing a recommendation to DFO.

I wouldn't want to speculate on the possible choices just yet! Need to wait to see the modelling and various management options, that if applied, help achieve the spawning escapement goals.

Hope that helps with your planning.

50,000 fish x 15 lb average x $2 lb.

$1.5 million.

Seems like an easy fix for a small sum in the grand scheme of things.
I agree with this thinking. especially when it comes to the Fraser Chum (roe) fishery. I would like to know what the total value of this fishery is and just pay the FN's and commercials to stay off the river during the Thompson Steelhead migration!

Thanks, yes, that helps a lot! For those that have fished Swiftsure running from Renfrew (I only know the Washington side), do you just fish the SW corner near the closure zone for chinook? Last year I was surprised to see BC charters fishing in on the US side... is the best part of the bank for Chinook closed on your Canadian side?

Thanks, yes, that helps a lot! For those that have fished Swiftsure running from Renfrew (I only know the Washington side), do you just fish the SW corner near the closure zone for chinook? Last year I was surprised to see BC charters fishing in on the US side... is the best part of the bank for Chinook closed on your Canadian side?

Nope those charter guys are doubling up on there limits for there guests. It's sad but it happens

That's not right at all! I had no idea... and they were kinda jerks about how close they ran by us once and where they set up (right in front of our troll). Our regulations do not allow doubling up... only get one limit-- either one side of the dotted line or the other, but only one.

Thought he was just posting tongue in cheek - seriously doubt if that comment is even remotely true. Having fished down there I think it is more a situation where the tide pushes people across the line without them really recognizing where they are. I've seen many many times when US boats are fishing on the Canadian side - you can bet no one is running into report to Canada Customs. A lot of Canadian halibut being removed and slip across the line too, which no doubt is added to the Canadian Halibut TAC based on the over-flight counts.

searun-- they knew where they were... there was about 80 WA-based boats doing the same troll that was toward the property line. So we set up about 2 miles away and trolled till we were close, then pick up and run back. There were 2 or 3 Canadian charters. They did the run over and over with the rest of us. My thought was the fishing must be a lot better on our side of the line for some reason for them to pay the extra license fee, etc.

We will be spending a chunk of time on Vancouver Island and I was just curious if I should make the run out to the bank or not. With a boat load of people that like to catch fish (not hunt for a trophy fish), fishing on the bank makes more sense than the beach for my crew. I did a trip into BC last summer and we fished along the beach at Rennie. Got a beauty 28 lb chinook, but just one for several hours of fishing. Cool experience for me (the Captain and netter) and for the guy who fought the fish, but the rest were left wanting.

Back