Chance to Support Sooke Sea Pen Project & Save Some $

The net pen method does reduce mortality due to seals because the smolts do not have to navigate a river or estuary. This is also thought to be the reason why several net pen projects on the westcoast had a much higher survival rate than in-river hatchery releases. Wild survival rates are of course much lower anyway.

The net pen also gives them a few weeks of protection during the transition from fresh to salt which is stressful for them and they are vulnerable during that time. We also release them at night when the seals are hauled out and the gulls are on shore.... to give them time to disperse and find cover in the harbours eel grass. We try to think of everything to keep mortality to a minimum and to send them off healthy and strong. Some of the volunteers even troll some bait with their particular roll through the pen so that those fish will recognize it 4 years later and will bite the hooks of those who fed them...LOL

SPECIAL OFFER
SVIAC Spring Membership Promotion
Buy a $40.00 annual SVIAC membership by the end of April and take advantage of some really special deals
YOU'LL SAVE MONEY!!!
Don't miss out on this great promotion ... Hurry as promotion ends on April 30th!!
Full promo details and list of special offers available on the SVIAC website at:
https://anglerscoalition.com/about-sviac/membership/spring-membership-special

Participating sponsors include - Island Outfitters, SG Power, Canadian Energy,
Hoyne Brewery, Coast Reels, Burt's Automotive,
Durabaits, Atlas Audio Video Unlimited and KMC Salmon Derby
- THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT -

PLEASE NOTE: Offer valid for new and renewed SVIAC memberships purchased between January 1st and April 30th 2018. If you renew before your membership expires, the Spring Membership Promo renewal year will be added to existing membership expiry date.
All deals require a valid membership card presented at time of purchase. Please visit https://anglerscoalition.com for full details

30571261_1946664268679572_8314648828791558600_n.jpg

Very easy to get your $40 membership back in savings. Free spool of line is worth minimum $20, id you like beer $10 value there, need marine or auto batteries $10 off each $100 battery, 10% off bait year round and many more. We have tried to make it a no brainer. Even Whole in The Water saved 10% on a big bill at SG Power last year when he had mechanical problems with his main power.

Just saved another $120 on another repair bill at SG Power for new trailer axle, tach, and misc. maintenance work. It pays, I mean it saves to be a member!

Very easy to get your $40 membership back in savings. Free spool of line is worth minimum $20, id you like beer $10 value there, need marine or auto batteries $10 off each $100 battery, 10% off bait year round and many more. We have tried to make it a no brainer. Even Whole in The Water saved 10% on a big bill at SG Power last year when he had mechanical problems with his main power.
Where can you get the free spool of line? Not seeing it on the list there. Thanks

I worked at the Capilano hatchery many years ago when they had net pens in Indian arm. They kept the smolts in the pens longer than a few weeks, and the mortality was extremely high. Many got grossly distended bellies from kidney infections. It was kind of the signal to let them all go when there were lots of dead ones. Obviously some survived, as there was a fishery from the returnees near the power plant, but the initial mortality was very high, that may have been part of the reason it was discontinued, Im not sure. Atlantic salmon farmers learned early on they had to keep their smolts in fresh water longer to reduce mortality, and there are some trials being done on keeping chinook smolts in fresh water longer and feeding them less to see if the excessive hatchery mortality can be reduced. Do you see those symptoms in the Sooke pens? Forcing them into salt water directly from the hatchery seemed to cause a lot of health problems, as that's not the way coho and chinook smolts naturally acclimate, they spend time in the estuary, go in and out of the salt water, and spend time in brackish water. Pink and Chum fry head straight to the ocean soon after hatching so are probably more suitable for net pens (They are the primary species ranched in Alaska using net pens). Based on that experience I'd guess the same thing happens to many of the Sooke chinook net pen smolts, but perhaps just isn't observed?

I worked at the Capilano hatchery many years ago when they had net pens in Indian arm. They kept the smolts in the pens longer than a few weeks, and the mortality was extremely high. Many got grossly distended bellies from kidney infections. It was kind of the signal to let them all go when there were lots of dead ones. Obviously some survived, as there was a fishery from the returnees near the power plant, but the initial mortality was very high, that may have been part of the reason it was discontinued, Im not sure. Atlantic salmon farmers learned early on they had to keep their smolts in fresh water longer to reduce mortality, and there are some trials being done on keeping chinook smolts in fresh water longer and feeding them less to see if the excessive hatchery mortality can be reduced. Do you see those symptoms in the Sooke pens? Forcing them into salt water directly from the hatchery seemed to cause a lot of health problems, as that's not the way coho and chinook smolts naturally acclimate, they spend time in the estuary, go in and out of the salt water, and spend time in brackish water. Pink and Chum fry head straight to the ocean soon after hatching so are probably more suitable for net pens (They are the primary species ranched in Alaska using net pens). Based on that experience I'd guess the same thing happens to many of the Sooke chinook net pen smolts, but perhaps just isn't observed?

The Sooke Sea Pen operation is closely monitored by this project's very qualified fisheries manager and numerous volunteers daily. The results from last year's project of 250,000 smolts reported to less than 1% mortality rate. Pretty darn good!

Someone should suggest Hoyne brew a seasonal “Spring” beer with some of the sales profit directed to the project. I’d buy it lol.

Phone up the Hatchery Manager for the CAP, He's part of a Chinook Net Pen Project for the CAP using Harrison Whites. The hatchery got more returners from the Pen, then they did from the ones they released in the CAP.

Edit: I emailed him and he sent me the attached pdf enjoy

"5th year of rebuilding Capilano’s Chinook run with eggs from Chilliwack Hatchery. The goal is to eradicate any of the remnant Qualicum red population and replace with a fish that is less likely to rear in the inside passage. The program to date has been a success. With this program came with some CWT funding that we are using to evaluate rearing strategies (net pens vs. river release). This was the third year of receiving data on this project. Data suggest that net pen fish are being caught in high numbers and their survival is also high."

Attachments

• Hatchery Synopsis 2018 (1).pdf
    239.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
For healthy net pens, the right location is key: good tidal flush and good water quality. For the fresh-salt transition it probably helps to deal with ocean and not stream type Chinook.

Guys, I print and send them cards out personally. The more we send, the more help we get, the more you save. Seriously, %10 off of bait at Outfitters! Free Salmon Reel Fill! Discounts on repairs at SG Power. Discounts on repairs at Morrison Auto Marine. You will save more then the $40 membership costs, and you are helping one of the most direct action enhancement projects on the coast.

I want to wear my printer out this year!

I just joined through the online link but the PayPal process was terrible for some one without a PayPal account. I'm plenty computer literate but PayPal kept screwing up the postal code and province as a Canadian with US zip codes and states. Probably losing members over the hassle of paying..

New slogan for Hoyne, “Save a whale, drink our Ale”. Seriously you could have a lot of fun partnering with them or any local brewery. I believe Caribou donates 25 cents a case to reforestation, so it’s being done. Great PR for them and moneymaker for the net pen.

What are the numbers across the bottom of the card ?
The new membership cards have 10 numbers along the bottom edge with each one corresponding to a deal. Once the deal is redeemed the retail outlet will punch a hole through that deal number.

Back