Prawning help for a beginner

Where in Port Alberni were you prawning? We usually prawn in 300ft of water or less in Barklay Sound... It has declined in recent years and lots of slime eels
Where in Port Alberni were you prawning? We usually prawn in 300ft of water or less in Barklay Sound... It has declined in recent years and lots of slime eels

When I said Port Alberni, I guess I was referring to the Alberni Inlet where I prawned in the Nahmint Bay 350-400ft. I have also prawned in Barkley Sound the depths there were more the norm around 300ft.

I was prawning in finlayson arm on the weekend. We tied up at the mill bay marina for lunch and when returning to the boat, I noticed a large dfo zodiac tied up along side with a dozen or so prawn traps in their boat. I inquired why they had prawn traps in their boat and they responded that they were checking all prawn traps and confiscating all traps that were not properly labelled on the floats. Glad to see dfo out there if you ask me. Prawning was ok - 50 prawns in some traps and zero prawns in the trap 50' away - it's very hit and miss. I had one boater come up to me asking if I saw who pullers their traps (as their traps were empty) in hindsight, I suspect they just missed the prawns.. I did loose a trap on the weekend. Not sure if it was stolen or...?

I too lost a set on the weekend. Is there anyway someone could get them back ? I’m sure that mine are marked just faded badly

Can anyone speak to the seasonality of catching prawns?

I've only ever tried in the late fall to late winter timeframe. How does the summer typically fare? Should I be looking at changing up my spots?

Back