Best deal on rope for prawn traps?

Sangstercraft

Looking to pick up 300’ to 500’ of rope for the prawn traps. Anyone know the best place to get it? Steveston Marine seems a bit pricey. Thanks in advance.

Army & Navy is around $70 for 500' of all leaded rope. That's what I use. Or you could just add a weight about 50' down on regular rope.

I like the floating / lead line combo (250 - 400 ft of floating with 100 ft of lead line spliced at the top). The floating line stays off bottom so you don’t get hung up plus coils nicer and the lead line at the top keeps it away from the surface, but I usually snap a line weight on as well.

PNT and Harbour Chandler both sell it, $65 - $90 depending on the length and who’s selling. I’ve also made my own by splicing the two together.

Berry’s website says $68 for 400’ of sinking line. I just paid $79 for the same thing at army and navy.

Army and navy did have a pretty good deal for 400’ of regular rope, a line weight, and a float for $55. I like sinking line though so I didn’t buy it

The blue steel from minke is pretty nice stuff. Splice in 100 feet lead line to 400 blue steel and you got a nice setup

Hey me and a buddy were discussing using one of those "trap pullers" with the chordless drill they had at the boat show. Smaller rope so less drag (apparently) and just a good way to wind up and store your line. I'd still use my Scotty trap puller obviously. As interesting a product as it is I doubt it would pull up my 50 lbs of gear. The'd love to convince you otherwise lol. But yah, just for rope management not a bad idea?

Back