Prawn Bait

Hey Guys
What is the best place to get the large bags of prawn pellets
Is anyone using anything else for prawning such as the ace of baits pre formed pucks, or any other
options out there
thanks

"The trading post" right across from Nanaimo airport normally sells big bigs of prawn bait to, around 60 or 70 bucks. We mix carlyle cat food and prawn pellets together the night before to let the oils soak into the pellets and then use that. Normally when the 3 of us go out we add about 4 cans of cat food with 12 bait cups of pellets and were good to go, We used to use a lot more cans of cat food but we have started to scale back bringing our price per soak down, and haven't noticed catching any less prawns. We normally buy the cat food from share-kare which is about 15 bucks for a 24 pack if I remember right, could be less, I thought we had our price per can to around 30 cents
go get some yum yum prawn bait, works good for me https://yumyumbaits.ca/

Do you find it does work better? Maybe we had a bad experience, I hear a ton of good reviews about it, but when we tried it against our pellets and cat food it didn't stand up that great. And at 2.99 a can before tax its a little more then I'm looking to spend.

PNT has 70lb taplow bags

thanks for the replys fellas and the cat food tip
Hey Guys
What is the best place to get the large bags of prawn pellets
Is anyone using anything else for prawning such as the ace of baits pre formed pucks, or any other
options out there
thanks

thanks for all the replys fellas and the tips
cheers

I use skretting super bait. I always soak it for a couple days in non chlorinated water before heading out. Mix it into a mush with Carlisle just tuna at 1 can per bait cup and you won't find anything better.

FYI...

New Buckerfields in Langford does not have prawn bait yet. Soft Opening.
Buckerfields in Duncan may not carry anymore. (buddy told me that)
Buckerfields Saanichton has in stock.
Laughing Lamna out of stock until Friday.

So where is the best place to get a bulk bag of pellets? I usually buy the ice cream tub from Berry’s and it already has oils on it but they start growing mold after a couple months. Plus I add my own Carlisle and oil the night before I head out.

I’m not sure what’s in the pellets, but maybe there is some cheap dog food or something that I can whip up with some fishy oil and tuna and it will work out to be a bit cheaper?

Looking in the lower mainland

So where is the best place to get a bulk bag of pellets? I usually buy the ice cream tub from Berry’s and it already has oils on it but they start growing mold after a couple months. Plus I add my own Carlisle and oil the night before I head out.

I’m not sure what’s in the pellets, but maybe there is some cheap dog food or something that I can whip up with some fishy oil and tuna and it will work out to be a bit cheaper?

Looking in the lower mainland
Try PNT in Steveston.

Hey, I was at PA recently and was told that DFO is requiring a yellow Styrofoam float on each prawn string (in addition or instead of any other kind of Skotchman buoy). Have you guys heard this? I searched the DFO website and couldn't find any such requirement. Perhaps it is a new practice DFO is contemplating? Appreciate any insights - thanks.

Hey, I was at PA recently and was told that DFO is requiring a yellow Styrofoam float on each prawn string (in addition or instead of any other kind of Skotchman buoy). Have you guys heard this? I searched the DFO website and couldn't find any such requirement. Perhaps it is a new practice DFO is contemplating? Appreciate any insights - thanks.
I’ve never heard of that being a requirement but I have heard that adding the foam float takes a bit of stress of the line or something. I’ve seen people doing it and I’m not sure why

I’ve never heard of that being a requirement but I have heard that adding the foam float takes a bit of stress of the line or something. I’ve seen people doing it and I’m not sure why

DFO has been working on something regarding this for a few years now. As I remember it from SFAC meetings a few years ago, the idea is to have us recreational go to a different color float that would be specifically for prawn traps only. I am not sure if the idea is to have each sector use a specific color, or just starting with rec. As I understand it, This would make identifying and differentiating between sectors easier. It also will clearly differentiate between crab and prawn sets, as crab will likely require red and white floats. Again I believe the goal is to become more accurate in their assessments of pressure and by whom?

To my knowledge it has not yet been made official but I believe discussions are still in motion. some one else correct me if I have this wrong please.

As far as prawn bait goes. I get big bag from Share Care here in Courtenay.

Last edited:
I would be voting against if it gets suggested. That silly why do we need floats segregate? Haven't seen anything on that yet. I dont really think rec need a separate color. All its going to do is encourage more theft. I use a float similar to commercial and I find it helps keep people away.

Go to the source ..Skrettings....in bulk.
but , in a crunch , use imagination.. know a guy who says he squirts WD-40 on a sponge and it worked.

I use an orange scotsman with not names on it. Then I attach a white boat bumper with Fisherman name and info on it.
I ask the friends that go regularly with me to buy their own boat bumpers with name and details and have extras with my kids name on them.
That way who ever is fishing with me has the correct names on the floats that day.
I can't have my name on all 6 trap sets as I can only fish 4 legally.

I would be voting against if it gets suggested. That silly why do we need floats segregate? Haven't seen anything on that yet. I dont really think rec need a separate color. All its going to do is encourage more theft. I use a float similar to commercial and I find it helps keep people away.

Like I said this is what I remember from some past meetings. I have had a 1 year absence from meetings so am not 100% up to date on where this is at now . I do believe I did see something about it in an agenda for an upcoming meeting recently though.

Thanks for the info Jencourt. My sense was that the intent related to enforcement and or catch monitoring. I can see how from the air or a distance many of the skotchman can look like mooring balls or crab traps. But it sounds like just an idea under discussion and not something in force.

Back