Saltair/Gulf Island newbie

Jeffzee

Hello everyone, I will be moving to the Saltair area in early May and would love any info on local fishing in that area. I have a 16ft Double Eagle so I love the idea of fishing in the protected areas. Ladysmith seems to be the closes local ramp as far as i can see.

I appreciate any advice anyone has for me!

Thanks

Welcome to the area!

You will be moving right into the heat of our Chinook fishing, by the second week of April through to the end of May there is normally great fishing at the local areas such as Thrasher rock and Porlier Pass. There may be a slot limit that comes into effect in those areas we will see as the season progresses just something to watch for! Last year we were doing well fishing at around 90 ft on spoons but I am sure it may be different this year. We have a Gulf Island thread going that there is normally some decent reports! Make sure to leave updates when you come back from a day out there! The Ladysmith boat ramp is a nice faculty to launch from. There is also a launch in Chemainus it doesn't dock beside the ramp it just has a cement barrier which dpesnt work well, I wouldn't recommend launching there alone as it normally is a 2 person operation one person is the boat during launch and then they back out and come nose back in after and pick the people in the truck up. But with a 16ft boat you should be good. We launched our old 19ft campion there all the time with no problems other then at low low tide it can be hard to load but we managed to do it once.

Feel free to pm me if you have any additional questions!

Tight Lines

Michael

Back