Descending devices

It is a legal requirement down here in WA for about 2 years - about 10 years after we killed them all in Puget Sound so that even fishing for them is illegal.

Nice video; thanks

We have used both types of descenders over the years - made a larger Shelton style descender out of large spreader bars back around 2009, as the smaller Shelton's were not big enough IMO for the down-riggers and the size of fish that needed to go down (some of the large fish need about 4-5 lbs min to offset the buoyancy of the swim bladder), but we started to use the Seaqualizer two years ago, ended up being much easier to use and have less issues with the fish coming of the hook as you would with the Shelton style.

We attach the Seaqualizer to a down-rigger ball with about a 5-6' leader, leave down-rigger ball in the water while you are fishing, and when you want to release the fish, quickly get it aboard and attached it to the release, pop it back over the side, behind the ball and let your rigger down, when you get down to the set depth, your rigger will start to speed up (fish has come free), stop the rigger and bring it back up - counter works as well, but keeping an eye on the speed of the ball is easier. We use a smaller 10lb ball so the fish doesn't descend too fast, if you are in an area with smaller rockfish, put a 7lb ball on if needed.

Side note, if you are using any type of descender and asked by a creel surveyor if you caught and released any rockfish, make sure you get them to put a note on the sheet that you released them with a descender - as of this moment all rockfish are considered 100% mortality when caught. By letting the creel folks know that you are releasing the fish with a descender can we petition DFO to acknowledge that not all rockfish caught by the Rec fleet are considered dead when brought to the surface.

We have been asking for years for DFO to acknowledge that rockfish are able to survive with the proper releasing techniques, finally they are starting to agree. It should be mandatory, in my opinion, to have a release set up while fishing (doesn't matter what type, just one that you are familiar with and will work). Going to be a rough couple of years ahead in the rockfish world, lets hope that we are not past the tipping point.

Regards,

Fishyboy

Actual video of recompression in action
I'm not sure there is any way to know the answer to this or not but when their eyes blow up, what is the chance that they don't lose their vison upon returning to the depths? The eyes look like they explode...can't be good. Although a few years ago we caught a 17lb Burbot in Alberta that had no eyes at all. It was ridiculously long and skinny but clearly used its lateral like to hunt.

I'm not sure there is any way to know the answer to this or not but when their eyes blow up, what is the chance that they don't lose their vison upon returning to the depths? The eyes look like they explode...can't be good. Although a few years ago we caught a 17lb Burbot in Alberta that had no eyes at all. It was ridiculously long and skinny but clearly used its lateral like to hunt.

I have wondered the same thing... But I got thinking about "Total Recall" & Arnold bounced back fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2730.JPG
    IMG_2730.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 12
West Coast Guides Association will be purchasing a descending device to be handed out free to any guide who agrees to complete a Log Book this season.

We anticipate they will be mandatory carry and use (the law) next season. Besides it’s the right thing to do to protect cod species that are at risk.

We also need log book data to help document that very few Yellow Eye are caught while targeting Ling Cod. DFO felt strongly that YE are caught while fishing Ling Cod and that was the justification for reducing the Ling Cod limit from 3 to 2. Very weak science to support the decision so it’s up to us to bring proof by way of log books.

i tried the milk crate method and it seems to work good, you could do two fish if needed. it also protects the fish while its regains it ability to swim. price was good. anyone seen or used that technique?

i tried the milk crate method and it seems to work good, you could do two fish if needed. it also protects the fish while its regains it ability to swim. price was good. anyone seen or used that technique?

Haven’t heard of that one, seems pretty straightforward.

Great post's everyone. We have been using the seaqualizer for about 2 years now. The up front cost seems like a lot but when you look at the big picture it is the future. We rinse it religiously with fresh water and dry after use. No issues so far. Use it off the down rigger at slower speed like others have posted. Have tried it off a broken hali rod with an old reel as well and works good. Great device. Can't wait to see devices mandatory in the reg's next year!

This is the future if you want to keep fishing bottom fish......

Washington state fish checkers have been handing out cheap descending devices for a couple years now. Great investment in my opinion.

What a great post, with the limited time I have been out the last few year's I haven't really even considered this which is sad. Even though I don't catch all that many, any fish saved is worth it. Just ordered one of the seaqualizers from them direct and shipped to me was 100 Canadian. Seems totally reasonable. Thanks again for the great info.

I applaud all of you investing in the descenders. They are a great tool to help us keep fishing. The seaqualizer i the best of the bunch.

Mine (Seaqualizer) should be here in the mail today... bought from Harbour Chandler.... free shipping if you spend over 100 bucks.... (pretty easy to do). I think it was 69 CDN plus taxes.... oddly excited....

Seaqualizer just showed up in the mail.... very slick and simple device. Anyone have any ideas how quick a yellow eye should go back down coming from say 200 feet or so? That is... how quick should I put it down to 100 feet to maximize survival chances?

Back