Shop Teacher Needs Help

kmcghee

Hi, I am a shop teacher and a student has brought in a boat he inherited from his grandfather. The boat came with two scotty electric downriggers, the non digital style with non telescoping booms, and what appears to be an almost new Ace Line Hauler. So the kid has asked me to help him wire it up and install them as a class electrical project. However what I need help with is that the Ace Line Hauler did not come with any paperwork, and I asked for help from Ace, they returned to just use a 40 amp break and number 12 wire since the install would be within 2-3 feet of the battery. However the Downriggers come with instructions and 30 amp fuse holders. So will the ace work fine on 30 amps, or does he need the 40 and risk damaging the downriggers, or should we just install a 40 amp protected third socket for the ace?

30 amp will be fine most guys I fish with and myself just use the same plug as the downrigger
I will check with him but I know his dad fishes commercial size crab traps, all stainless though, so a bit of weight on the puller if he borrows his dads traps, would that be an issue?

I don’t think so. I have 10 lbs weights in my prawn traps and 450 feet of line and the 30 amp has never tripped.

Like solo said 30 amp fuse but step up to 10 gauge wire.

30 A is fine, no need to install a separate plug. +1 on stepping up to 10 gauge wire.

If its rough out I've had the Ace blow a 30 A when pulling as the boat goes up a wave. Keep some extras on board. I also keep a few 40 A just for the Ace when it is rough out and I start blowing 30 A fuses, then switch back over when done.

Last edited:
I use 40 amp on my Endurance prawn hauler because it will pop a 30 amp under certain conditions too. When we load tested it on the bench it drew over 30 amps.

Because the Scotty downriggers already come with a built in circuit breaker (a second layer of protection) I would be tempted to call them (Scotty) in Sidney and ask if the 40 amp inline fuse would work.

My new Acer system (prototype which is heavier than the normal Acer) requires a 50amp and they recommended an inline circuit breaker rather than a fused system.

Back