Lowrance autopilot reviews?

Is anyone running the bluetooth remote with the lowrance ap?
Yes. The Lowerance auto pilot is weak. What I mean by that is the pump for the auto pilot system is to small and fails frequently. I was less than impressed with multiple trips to the dealer. I eventually switched out the Lowernace for the Simrad A42 pump. once installed correctly, it worked great. The bluetooth remote is pretty slick. Really nice for 1-10 degree turns and tracks well even in the wind. I use it mainly for trolling with guests. Keeps the boat heading on the same compass direction..really nice when playing a fish, just a few quick looks ahead for other boats...and back to fishing. I'd also say the customer service from lowerance during all the problems..was teribble, they didn't care nor were they helpful. The Simrad rep was great. Kinda funny as they are owned by the same company.

Yes. The Lowerance auto pilot is weak. What I mean by that is the pump for the auto pilot system is to small and fails frequently. I was less than impressed with multiple trips to the dealer. I eventually switched out the Lowernace for the Simrad A42 pump. once installed correctly, it worked great. The bluetooth remote is pretty slick. Really nice for 1-10 degree turns and tracks well even in the wind. I use it mainly for trolling with guests. Keeps the boat heading on the same compass direction..really nice when playing a fish, just a few quick looks ahead for other boats...and back to fishing. I'd also say the customer service from lowerance during all the problems..was teribble, they didn't care nor were they helpful. The Simrad rep was great. Kinda funny as they are owned by the same company.

Good to know. What is the load factor for the AP? I have 150 and a 9.9 it would be turning, boat about 5800 pounds wet.

Good to know. What is the load factor for the AP? I have 150 and a 9.9 it would be turning, boat about 5800 pounds wet.
Yes. I was using it on a Suz 300 and 20hp kicker. I'd really research the lowrance as the 150hp isn't much lighter. This was all based on 2016 equipement. Maybe lowrance has improved in the last 1.5yrs but...I'd still look at other brands. The Simrad a42 works great.

Yes. I was using it on a Suz 300 and 20hp kicker. I'd really research the lowrance as the 150hp isn't much lighter. This was all based on 2016 equipement. Maybe lowrance has improved in the last 1.5yrs but...I'd still look at other brands. The Simrad a42 works great.
Thats the exact same motor setup I have, and I have heard some other people say the pump is the weak point, do you know the exact model of pump? Doesnt look like the a42 is relevant anymore.

Thats the exact same motor setup I have, and I have heard some other people say the pump is the weak point, do you know the exact model of pump? Doesnt look like the a42 is relevant anymore.

I had this one installed, just didn't work.
http://ww2.lowrance.com/en-CA/Products/Auto-Steering/Outboard-Pilot-Hydraulic-Pack-en-ca.aspx

Sorry typo - RC42 pack, installed, works great.
Switched to:
http://ww2.simrad-yachting.com/en-GB/Products/Autopilots/DrivePilot-Hydraulic-Steer-Pack-en-gb.aspx

Check out the raymarine units too. I just installed an ev150 and it is just awesome. You can network them to any kind of plotter and it's nice having a seperate screen to control the autopilot. I installed a second screen at my rear helm so I can control the ap from the deck too.

Well took the plunge and picked up the lowrance pilot and bluetooth remote, now to figure out how to plum it in with dual steering stations. Anyone have any diagrams of that?

Well took the plunge and picked up the lowrance pilot and bluetooth remote, now to figure out how to plum it in with dual steering stations. Anyone have any diagrams of that?

What I did was T off the fittings on my main helm. Then you need 2 high pressure hoses and a low pressure return line of the right length for where you will be putting the pump.. I think the return line on the pump is supposed to return to your reservoir, which on most systems is the higher of your two helms.

I believe you tie in behind where your second helm ties in. Not between them.

From what I've read, looks like I can just T in to the lines anywhere, so would just go off the main helm. Can't find anything in regards to the compensation line tho, as I already have one running to my rear helm. Should I just t into that one as well?

I will add that installing one of these is a pretty complex task, between the wiring, plumbing, hydraulic lines, fittings, course computer, pump, sensor pack, control head... At least for me it was! But, I got there eventually.

Count on spending A LOT more than just the cost of the autopilot pack.

The Com Nav 1420 was easy to install once you found places for everything to be mounted. The only extra cost was to have 3 short foot long hoses made to jump between the pump and the front helm. There is a processor (computer) pump, class 1 compass, the Teleflx smart stick follower and the control pad.

Have watched that a few times, good vid for sure. My issue is the fact I'm tying in to a 2 helm system instead of just one.

My issue is the fact I'm tying in to a 2 helm system instead of just one.
This is why I believe you need to be back of where the 2nd helm ties in.

Does not matter where in the system you tee into. Logic dictates you tee in at the fittings in order to only have to get one set of new hoses. You can tee in midway between the two helms but then you need two sets of new hoses. You want your return line returned to the higher of the two helms to allow any air bubbles to rise, in theory. I don't think many outboard hydraulic systems have an actual reservoir, but if you do run the return line to that.

Back