2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Finally got the boat back in the water and washed some bait Friday night. No luck, but it didn't matter. So nice to be back out. Hali hunting begins tomorrow.

This one was good on the weekend !
T -Rex double- Glow

51G89FmxD4L.jpg

Sexy...

Put a good 6 hours on the new Hali Anchor set-up Trevor and the boys at Trotac helped me put together. OMG was it ever slick. I love it!

Had the father inlaw onboard too and he was ready to try and climb over the bow to try and heave in by hand. It was a real “hold my drink and watch this” moment. His mind was blown.

Unfortunately the halibut didn’t want to play with us, but all was not lost; got two beauty crab for dinner.

It’s gonna be a fun season.

Scratched out one 6# out of the mud at Clover. Full of these critters. Wth is this? Is this what salmon now have to eat because there is no herring left?

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 230
Scratched out one 6# out of the mud at Clover. Full of these critters. Wth is this? Is this what salmon now have to eat because there is no herring left?

What size is that? Is it about the size of a Toonie?

Yikes... Some Isopods can be bad news. Google "Tongue Eating Isopod"

After seeing that isopod I went west out off the esq harbour today and had my youngest son (20 yrs) on my boat for the first time. Was nice and calm, sun was out and he was a quick learner with the rigger and general fishing techniques of changing gear. We saw lots of bait and marked lots of fish on the sounder but only had a bite that really never got hooked but ripped back half of the bait off. Added bonus today was fishing near a sub.

Attachments

• IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 152
After seeing that isopod I went west out off the esq harbour today and had my youngest son (20 yrs) on my boat for the first time. Was nice and calm, sun was out and he was a quick learner with the rigger and general fishing techniques of changing gear. We saw lots of bait and marked lots of fish on the sounder but only had a bite that really never got hooked but ripped back half of the bait off. Added bonus today was fishing near a sub.

That crew was on a 200 day deployment. Happy our sailors made it back home safe.

Anchored off constance today with no luck just a ton of dog fish and a few rat fish. Going to head out tomorrow and do it again. Anyone else out today have a report or a recent hali report.

Fished off Pedder on Saturday from 7:00 to 11. 00 and got 2 nice dogs and just as we were talking about pulling in to head home the one rod went off right on we were not getting skunked as I'm bringing it up I'm like it feels good then about half way up I'm like this doesn't feel like a halibut as the line was way behind the boat it's a skate so disappointed we were skunked but we had a great day on the water with my daughter and a good friend.

Went out today to try out a new spot, fished 7-12, got a few dogs, a skate, yellow eye and then finally a big Hali that we fought for about 25 mins and when I was trying to get a measurement at the side of the boat because I was worried it was borderline could have been 133 at the nose or a bit over, and it thrashed and the hook ripped out and it was gone! Beautiful day on the water though!

Back