Emergency SFAB Meetings About Proposed SRKW Fishing Closures

Maybe we need to stop presenting well thought out alternatives to DFO’s lazy solutions that are more designed to present the appearance of effort rather than actually provide long term solutions. Instead we should all write Trudy and tell him that we are feeling VERY OFFENDED by DFO’s performance and changing the way they do things will make us feel more included.

This guy is brilliant!!
Truedum needs to see this

Last edited:
JESUS guys really ask your self how hard is it to turn of your sounder and move away , IF this is what will make them happy then HELL YA ill do it for the maybe 6 times during the whole summer this is going to happen BFD. you want to blame everyone else but if we can DO OUR part then so be it, its better than the alternative of no fishing at all. Do i like all this ****
NO i fucken way I hate it but if me turning off my sounder for 5 mins its really not going to affect me.
I image the people that are on the boat wont mind either if they get a chance to take pictures of them....they always love to see them.

Wolf

Best ever post! Thanks Wolf.

How hard is it for us to turn off the sounder and slowly move away? As for other boats not on this forum getting the message...perhaps a little leading by example is a start. We all have this neat device called a radio....most boats monitor a common channel...perhaps use it to warn others the whales are in the area, and ask them politely to please move off to give whales feeding space.

This isn't hard if we adjust our attitudes....but it's a lot harder if we don't, and the only successful tool is to put Area Closures in place. You decide which is more "convenient."

The rec community will have only 2 reps sitting at the Advisory table - let's not undermine their ability to offer up viable alternatives (Bubble Zone) to Area Closures. Its in your hands - we need to come together as a community and prove we can do the right thing without worrying about what the whale watchers are up to.

I don't think the marine science community have all the answers to the SRKW problem. But they probably know a lot more on how to fundamentally solve the problems. The real problem lies with political will to change things properly. If chinook numbers are low then lets make sure all the broken parts are fixed. Creating critical marine habitat areas helps chinook/SRKW out on the ocean is one thing ..... but what about the stream/river/estuary areas that need to be fixed as well. And how about hatchery chinook ..... raised in tanks ... their brains unstimulated .... environmentally unprepared for what they are about to be dumped into .... to become unwitting morsels of food for critters. The hatchery vs wild stock chinook should be re-evaluated. How about looking at and fixing the other end of the problem .... How about protecting and restoring critical land habitat areas that support all salmon species. These areas are slowly being destroyed by human expansion and development of all kinds. Its death by a thousand cuts for chinook and other fish species.

I'm wondering if the whale watching/fishing communities are about to take the hit for what everyone knows what's coming. Doubling of tanker traffic in Juan De Fuca as soon as the pipeline approval goes through and its expected impact to SRKW's.

Maybe we need to stop presenting well thought out alternatives to DFO’s lazy solutions that are more designed to present the appearance of effort rather than actually provide long term solutions. Instead we should all write Trudy and tell him that we are feeling VERY OFFENDED by DFO’s performance and changing the way they do things will make us feel more included.

Actually, this is one of the best engagements DFO has executed in a number of years - especially considering the very tight timeline they had to work with, which was an imposed political (pushed by the Liberal gov't) timeline.

All sectors have had plenty of opportunity to provide input. The science community has had several workshops to contribute their knowledge. Our rec sector has been provided with advance warning of where some of the thinking and political influence on possible management measures is heading. We have been afforded opportunity to provide written input (anyone who cares to send it). There is a joint advisory committee being set up to work on future refinements, of which the Rec community has 2 seats via the SFAB process. The SFAB process is open to anyone who wishes to attend their local SFAC meetings to provide your input.

Ultimately all the feedback gathered in from the SFAC's will provide the 2 SFAB reps sitting at the Advisory table with other stakeholders guidance as to what the rec sector would like to see in terms of science based management measures that help SRKW recovery...this isn't about our access to fishing, or our convenience. It's really about finding the right science based solutions that will provide more Chinook as prey to SRKW, and help them to be successful in acquiring their prey.

We might not agree (I don't) with some of the preliminary management measures as "effective tools" that help SRKW, but bear in mind they are a far cry from what the ENGO's are demanding. If they had their way, you would not be fishing for Chinook - carefully consider the alternative they are pressing for, which is total recreational and commercial closure to all Chinook fishing....period, end, full stop.

I don't think the marine science community have all the answers to the SRKW problem. But they probably know a lot more on how to fundamentally solve the problems. The real problem lies with political will to change things properly. If chinook numbers are low then lets make sure all the broken parts are fixed. Creating critical marine habitat areas helps chinook/SRKW out on the ocean is one thing ..... but what about the stream/river/estuary areas that need to be fixed as well. And how about hatchery chinook ..... raised in tanks ... their brains unstimulated .... environmentally unprepared for what they are about to be dumped into .... to become unwitting morsels of food for critters. The hatchery vs wild stock chinook should be re-evaluated. How about looking at and fixing the other end of the problem .... How about protecting and restoring critical land habitat areas that support all salmon species. These areas are slowly being destroyed by human expansion and development of all kinds. Its death by a thousand cuts for chinook and other fish species.

I'm wondering if the whale watching/fishing communities are about to take the hit for what everyone knows what's coming. Doubling of tanker traffic in Juan De Fuca as soon as the pipeline approval goes through and its expected impact to SRKW's.

I smell a troll under a second registration. Nice try! How about you own up to your thoughts?

I think that we have been barking up the wrong tree in our fight against the DFO and their draconian policies. I think the people that we should be lobbying are the Federal politicians who are supposed to be running this country and who the DFO conveniently hide behind. I would suggest contacting your local MPs and ask them if they can help us to change the way that our fisheries are being managed? I think that our time will be better spent and will be more productive by lobbying our local MPs rather than wasting our time and money trying to deal directly with the DFO who have no power or the will to make any changes?

Last edited:
I'm hearing an increasing number of people ask about lobbying on behalf of sport fishermen.

Are there sport fishing organizations that approach Federal Ministers in Ottawa directly or hire paid lobbyists to do so?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Both the SFI and BCWF visit Ottawa and lobby on your behalf every year. The SFI goes at least once on its own and then once with the BCWF.

I’m not aware of any other fishing related organizations from BC that actually go there and have face to face meetings with politicians and senior beauracrats to deal with access to fishing. The PSF also goes to Ottawa to lobby it’s agenda which is also tied in with recreational fishing but more from an enhancement and funding perspective.

This thread is a good read. Thanks to all those who showed up at the public meetings. Let’s hope your advice is taken, and that recreational fishermen arent the only group who actually do something real and make sacrifices on behalf of the whales. If other sectors and industries that have an impact on the whales don’t step up to the plate willingly, or are forced to by DFO, then we will know for sure that the sacrifices we are being asked to make are merely political window dressing for a cynical and uncaring gov’t. Unless all sectors take meaningful steps, and govt makes the necessary investments, then it will all be for nothing. We must do everything we can to hold them accountable for real solutions.

CP

This ongoing fight with the DFO is not just about the Whales but it a fight about how are fisheries are being managed. We are quickly taking our fishery down to ground zero and we need to do something to reverse this trend.

Actually, this is one of the best engagements DFO has executed in a number of years - especially considering the very tight timeline they had to work with, which was an imposed political (pushed by the Liberal gov't) timeline.

All sectors have had plenty of opportunity to provide input. The science community has had several workshops to contribute their knowledge. Our rec sector has been provided with advance warning of where some of the thinking and political influence on possible management measures is heading. We have been afforded opportunity to provide written input (anyone who cares to send it). There is a joint advisory committee being set up to work on future refinements, of which the Rec community has 2 seats via the SFAB process. The SFAB process is open to anyone who wishes to attend their local SFAC meetings to provide your input.

Ultimately all the feedback gathered in from the SFAC's will provide the 2 SFAB reps sitting at the Advisory table with other stakeholders guidance as to what the rec sector would like to see in terms of science based management measures that help SRKW recovery...this isn't about our access to fishing, or our convenience. It's really about finding the right science based solutions that will provide more Chinook as prey to SRKW, and help them to be successful in acquiring their prey.

We might not agree (I don't) with some of the preliminary management measures as "effective tools" that help SRKW, but bear in mind they are a far cry from what the ENGO's are demanding. If they had their way, you would not be fishing for Chinook - carefully consider the alternative they are pressing for, which is total recreational and commercial closure to all Chinook fishing....period, end, full stop.

Was meant as a way to toss a little humour at what has become a forum filled with negativity and serious issues.

I did include a stab at DFO’s performance to date. Admittedly, moving forward doing so does nothing to contribute to the conversation. So my bad.

That said, I sure hope DFO’s increase in engagement is a sign that they are willing to change tactics and move away from political decision making.

For what it’s worth. Maybe it would be beneficial joining ngo whale groups, paying dues and attending their meetings. Discussion questioning the science of how they come to closing fisheries could be raised at their meetings. Further discussion of how fisheries closures effect coastal communities are worth bringing to attention. Maybe there are sensible people among them? Possibly they could have compassion for fishermen and fellow wildlife enthusiasts?
Maybe infiltrating their group with ours could help everyone’s cause. We all want more whales and a future enjoying the resource.

Have Chinook stocks fell into what scientist call a

"“predator pit.” After everyone has had their fill, there simply aren’t enough fish left for the Chinook population to climb out of the hole. More young adults join the spawning stock each year, but not enough to outweigh the number being eaten."

So seal populations are growing, Killer whale populations are growing with the exception of the (SRKW) and human allowable catch is decreasing. If I take that all into consideration how can we possible climb out of the Predator Pit???

"The 2,300 or more resident killer whales in the Northeast Pacific Ocean eat about 20 million pounds of chinook salmon per year — roughly equal to the annual commercial catch of chinook in recent years, according to the new study.

"There is a large number of resident killer whales out there that really target chinook, and they target the large chinook," Ohlberger says.

A study from federal researchers in November found that orcas' consumption of chinook salmon in the northeast Pacific Ocean has doubled since 1975, surpassing humans' catches, which have fallen by a third over that time."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...-why-you-dont-see-people-sized-salmon-anymore

Nice picture of Chinook - the famed June Hogs from the Columbia River. These fish actually spawned way up the Columbia in BC & went extinct when the Bonneville Dam was illegally built w/o fish ladders back in the 1940.s. Hatchery's had been in use on the Columbia since the mid 1800's and the thinking was the hell with the wild fish - destroy habitat at will cuz hatcheries will save us.

Commercial Chinook catches peaked in the 1880's so the have been in decline for 137 years or so. Back in the 1970's I remember hearing BC was loosing over 100 Salmon runs per year (dunno what percentage was Chinook).

As to a tipping point/predator pit, if you took all the unique Chinook runs present 137 years ago, most are probably gone with very few natural runs that are not endangered.

I have heard that one of the tribes on the Columbia is attempting to bring back the big boys. Attempts are being made on the Elwa as well. They estimate it will take 20 years for the Elwa to recover fish runs.

As to a tipping point/predator pit, if you took all the unique Chinook runs present 137 years ago, most are probably gone with very few natural runs that are not endangered.

That’s my point the ENGO groups want the seal and whale populations levels to go back to level they were at 100 years ago. Do we have the habitat to support thoes levels? Or are we at a point now because of all the habitats that’s gone that the predators are in control of the populations of chinook.

What is going on here should be a national scandal and shame on the DFO for allowing this to happen. By being passive for the past 3 decades they have allowed our fisheries to sink to the point where they will take decades to recover if they ever will recover? This is based on the assumption that the DFO has the ability or the will to make this even happen? We have been duped by the DFO for decades and this charade has got to stop. My theory in dealing with the DFO on many issues over the past 40 years is that they have made most of their " management" decisions based on zero hard scientific data and false and made up assumptions and they are afraid to confront the types of political conservation issues like the Seals and Sea Lions that are decimating our fisheries. This is not rocket science even for us layman. The DFO does not have the guts to pull the trigger on confronting any of these issues. What is going on now is a political and embarrassing national disgrace and these people should be held accountable for their lack of action and their total incompetency.

Last edited:
Be careful about laying too much criticism, right or wrong
DFO have the power to shut down all fishing if they deem it necessary.
I'm just thankful we have support groups that are fighting for the
angler's and the fish.
Without them, we would surely be closed down.

If the DFO are not too blame for the pickle that we find ourselves who would you say is to blame? We are being closed down because of the lack of action of the DFO. We are at the mercy of the DFO.

you're right we are....
that's why we need to support the groups that are working for us
to keep a healthy, viable fishery open.

clip_image002.png

Offering up the input sent to DFO from WCFGA - will break this into a few segments so it fits into the forum format. We know there are others who are preparing to draft and send your input, so if you find any of these points useful in drafting your response, that is why we are posting to this site.

PART 1:

West Coast Fishing Guides Association

March 12, 2018

We are reaching out to the Department to offer our advice with respect to developing a solid SRKW Action Plan and Management Measures for 2018, and beyond.

Of foremost concern is whatever plan we eventually land upon must achieve the desired outcomes to benefit whale recovery. Our desire is to offer viable management alternatives that serve to improve SRKW acquisition of prey by reducing both physical and acoustic disturbances. Our Association strongly supports taking meaningful actions that provide science-based solutions that achieve actual reductions in disturbances impacting SRKW recovery.

Additionally, our Association believes that significant investments are required to increase Chinook abundance, which in turn creates improved prey availability for SRKW’s.

SRKW Action Plan

Action Plan objectives – increase Chinook abundance as prey; reduce feeding interruptions to enhance SRKW prey acquisition success.

Strategies

1. Education and Awareness:

Avoidance is a critical strategy to ensure the feeding activity of whales is not disrupted. Prey disturbance from vessels jumping in front of whales as they pursue their prey is an observed contributor to SRKW not successfully acquiring prey. Accordingly, we believe a significant public awareness campaign is necessary to inform vessel operators of the importance of avoidance. This also includes providing public education brochures to recreational boaters and guests on whale watching excursions to explain why the vessel master is maintaining a safe distance.

To be successful this strategy will rely upon vessel operators avoiding disrupting the prey and feeding activity of SRKW’s. Public awareness and acceptance of the rationale behind avoiding close contact is imperative to changing vessel operator habits on the water.

2. 400 m Spatial Vessel Exclusion (Bubble) Zone:

The Departmental regulations amendment had a buffer distance of 100 m from the whales, which has now been increased to 200 m. This is a good step forward, but we believe it is not enough. The Whale Watching Guidelines allows boaters to stay near the whales with the engine running, and travel in a parallel direction with the whales. For example:

“If whales are approaching you, cautiously move out of the way. DO NOT APPROACH whales from the front or from behind. Always approach and depart whales from the side, moving in a direction parallel to the direction of the whales. DO NOT APPROACH or position your vessel closer than 200 meters/yards to any whale.”

We are proposing a regulation requiring all vessel operators to maintain a 400-meter spatial exclusion. We recommend 400m is the size required to ensure we achieve physical and acoustic protection to enhance feeding success of killer whales. Research indicates where vessel operators are in close proximity with whales, feeding behaviors are disrupted. This results in 18 – 25% decrease in observed feeding, and 17% increase in expended energy for whales to acquire prey.

Where vessel operators find themselves in closer proximity, the suggested regulation would require:

· Vessels engaged in fishing activity, immediately stop and pull gear out of the water

· Vessel operators slowly leave the exclusion area

· Turn off all depth sounding equipment to reduce acoustic disruptions

· Slow departure is important in reducing acoustic disturbance

Moreover, we have observed vessel operators who practice leapfrogging ahead of the projected direction of whale travel in order to get a closer viewpoint when the whales eventually arrive. This activity is commonplace, and in our experience disrupts the baitfish that Chinook salmon prey upon. In turn, Chinook disburse making it more difficult for SRKW’s to acquire prey. We recommend specific regulations to end the leapfrogging practice. The US NOAA regulations recognize this activity:

“Federal Regulations for killer whales require that boaters stay 200 yards away & keep path of the whales clear. These U.S. regulations apply to all vessels.”

We recognize that SRKW are highly mobile. Area closures to vessel traffic or refuge zones only protect whales in situations where they are actually present in the environment. A spatial exclusion zone (or bubble) of 400 m provides improved buffers, offering a mobile protection area, which allows undisturbed feeding and more effective prey acquisition. This strategy takes aim at vessel interactions that impact SRKW prey acquisition, which represents a more impactful way to improve feeding than harvest reduction.

We recognize spatial exclusion zones do create hardship for vessel operators wishing to recreationally fish these areas, and also for whale watching tour operators. Notwithstanding, we believe this strategy achieves the right balance between providing acoustic protection, effective prey acquisition, and meeting needs of vessel operators.

Our strong preference is to use a more surgical approach by employing a mobile spatial vessel exclusion strategy as this affords protection while balancing access for vessel operations.

Back