Herring staging on the east coast of the Rock

Enjoyable reading!
Interesting was the notation in which years of high freshwater input resulted in poorer survival of juvenile herring. This is something I have noticed also with local stream invertebrates. Decades of low rain ph have also been carrying dissolved heavy metals into the ocean to where they will precipitate when mixed with ocean water and ph rises. Possibly a contributing factor.
Refreshing to read without continuous finger pointing and emotional outcry.

Very interesting read, and the authors conclude that we need an ecosystem approach, rather than one which focuses on any single factor. Ecosystems are complex interdependent relationships that randomly interconnect - we need to understand that the solutions will be equally complex requiring a multi-faceted recovery strategy in order to succeed.

Curtailing the commercial herring fishery is very desirable, but it is not the only commercial fishery impacting the complex food web chinook rely upon when they are most vulnerable. Most vulnerable being when they first out-migrate into the near estuary ocean, and require a robust diet comprised of crab larvae, krill and herring to name a few key prey sources.

If we want to see the food web rebound and support chinook, and in turn SRKW, our efforts should start with reducing commercial fisheries targeting all of them.

I was thinking about driving up towards French creek or Bowser tomorrow. Does anyone know were i could jig a few herring from shore? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Very interesting read, and the authors conclude that we need an ecosystem approach, rather than one which focuses on any single factor. Ecosystems are complex interdependent relationships that randomly interconnect - we need to understand that the solutions will be equally complex requiring a multi-faceted recovery strategy in order to succeed.

Curtailing the commercial herring fishery is very desirable, but it is not the only commercial fishery impacting the complex food web chinook rely upon when they are most vulnerable. Most vulnerable being when they first out-migrate into the near estuary ocean, and require a robust diet comprised of crab larvae, krill and herring to name a few key prey sources.

If we want to see the food web rebound and support chinook, and in turn SRKW, our efforts should start with reducing commercial fisheries targeting all of them.
Curtailing commercial fisheries is a simple and single faceted approach. The author didn’t imply this needed to happen to restore robust populations. It would be the same as closing Chinook fishing to save srkw’s. From what I read there is a lot of mystery to why the environment has restricted populations to rebound and more understanding of food web complexities was needed.

My take away from it was once a fish stock falls below a certain level that it could take a special set of enviormental factors for it to again get back over that hump. Ie low predation (humans included) and favriable ocean/fresh water conditions (rich feed).

So then we better make damn sure that we don’t push them below that hump. I’ve posted about Depensation before but sources like this go to back up what I’ve seen.

So to get away from all the political side of this thread. Went out to the east side of Denman today and enjoyed a stellar day on the water. Caught a copious amount of herring and enjoyed sharing the day with the sea lions, seals and orcas. H
That’s good news!!!
Was there any commercial boats closing in while you were there?

My take away from it was once a fish stock falls below a certain level that it could take a special set of enviormental factors for it to again get back over that hump. Ie low predation (humans included) and favriable ocean/fresh water conditions (rich feed).

So then we better make damn sure that we don’t push them below that hump. I’ve posted about Depensation before but sources like this go to back up what I’ve seen.
I heard a quote from someone old dfo guy years ago about ocean fisheries. It was to the point of grand fisheries are an event! They are events where environmental conditions and for web successions resulted in a high abundance of certain species and by no means are they consistent or reliable.
That’s all I got from him!

Going out of Fanny Bay tomorrow (if the wind cooperates) to try to get some herring and watch the show. Is it best to go around the north end of Denman, or the south? Only been out ther once, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Crab Bait-- I was off Hornby yesterday and could not find a spring-- no wonder-- massive schools of herring off Komas Bluffs. ( east side of the north end of Denman) But they are finished spawning apparently and are just staging to head out. While some of the schools were shallow, the majority were in 150-300 ft. Good luck trying to jig in 200 ft ! ( and the weather does not seem to be great tomorrow either) Best bet is to look for birds and sealions.

This was a very interesting read

Boom and Busted: Lessons from Alaska’s Mysterious Herring Collapse

https://www.newsdeeply.com/oceans/a...sons-from-alaskas-mysterious-herring-collapse
Wow, even people who's only job is to study the effects of something can't say with any certainty what the real cause/effect has been. Just goes to show we should all take a little less and give a little more because we are very much still in the dark.

I had a thought about commercial fisheries like this that are so devisive. As much as I hate government intervention, especially in the form of any kind of business management. Why couldn't we set up not for profit fisheries where we eliminate the top end take and therefore eliminating the need to take more. Set the quotas lower and take what we need to support the communities (minus the FF ;). Sorry I had to.) I'm not very well versed in economics or policy making in government but from my own problem solving, idealistic point of view it seems like a great idea.

Back