Discs vs Drums

frenchcreek

I have drum brakes on my 6500# Roadrunner trailer. I need to do some work (again) on them this year. I was considering changing over to disc brakes instead. I have a washdown kit on the drums, but the brakes only seem to last 2 years. I was hoping to get longer life from the discs and they would be easier to wash off. I am also considering greased bearings vs oil bath - opinions welcomed here as well. Also looking for where the best place to buy them would be. I am located on the Island.

Most guys are saying oil bath bearings are longer lasting less hassle. I switched from drum which my trailer had new in 07 to disk 3 or maybe 4 years ago. I just finished replacing everything again this past fall

Most guys are saying oil bath bearings are longer lasting less hassle. I switched from drum which my trailer had new in 07 to disk 3 or maybe 4 years ago. I just finished replacing everything again this past fall
Do you think the extra cost for discs is worth it? If I have to change out the backplate for the drum it is only about $100 every 2 years compared to much more for the disc assembly every 3 or 4 years.

Not sure if it would be worth it, I switched as the drums were messed and I wasn’t familiar with drum brakes, disk just seemed easier

Washdowns for drum brakes are pretty much useless. I have the same trailer as you and wish I had of spent more money and bought a better brand trailer with disk brakes. My brakes and backing plates lasted 4 months before everything needed to be replaced. Nothing is coated or protected for salt water use. I looked into putting disk brakes on the trailer but found out the hydrolic pump road runner puts on there drum brake trailers dont put out enough pressure to work on disk brakes. Another place road runner cheaps out. I ended up just buying new dacron coated backing plates with pads included from lordco and put them on myself. After another season they still look new and they are in way better shape than the garbage road runner put on. Did you put on the dacron coated backing plates?

My 2010 loadmaster 12,500 lb tandem trailer has electric drum brakes on it. I rinse the brakes and trailer after every launch and retrieve with fresh water and a bit of the old Salt Away. I keep the brakes adjusted and have yet to change a single component on the brake system in the 5 years i have used the trailer. It still has the origional backing plates which are just painted from the factory. I think the key is to flush immediatly after pulling the trailer out of the water. If i can i will do a couple of laps around the parking lot holding as much brake on the trailer as i can to build some heat and evaporate any moisture out of the drums. Disc brakes would be nice i suppose but they will still need the same type of care to keep them operational for any long period of time.

There's been lots of discussion on this and other forums. Main takeaway is that if you go disc, make sure you get stainless calipers, and wash down after every dip in salt. Some people rig up built in wash down systems on the trailer, but a simple garden sprayer works well.

Disks are easy to clean drums not so much.
Disk with oil bath bearings have worked really well for me

My 2010 loadmaster 12,500 lb tandem trailer has electric drum brakes on it. I rinse the brakes and trailer after every launch and retrieve with fresh water and a bit of the old Salt Away. I keep the brakes adjusted and have yet to change a single component on the brake system in the 5 years i have used the trailer. It still has the origional backing plates which are just painted from the factory. I think the key is to flush immediatly after pulling the trailer out of the water. If i can i will do a couple of laps around the parking lot holding as much brake on the trailer as i can to build some heat and evaporate any moisture out of the drums. Disc brakes would be nice i suppose but they will still need the same type of care to keep them operational for any long period of time.
Hey Turbomack,
What do you use to rinse the drums at the boat launch? And just to confirm you have electric actuated drum brakes, not electric over hydrolic.

Hey Turbomack,
What do you use to rinse the drums at the boat launch? And just to confirm you have electric actuated drum brakes, not electric over hydrolic.
I have a 200 litre plastic drum and a washdown pump set up as a unit that i put in the box of my truck when launching or retrieving the boat. The brakes are electric actuated dexters. I use Salt Away also but not really sure it makes any difference. Just getting the dreaded salt water out of the brakes is probably enough. my trailer is painted, not galvinized so it gets a bath also and it looks pretty mint.

I put this unit together, It's all wire to the trailer plug. I dunk the trailer, launch the boat, pull away hit the switch in the truck which turns the pump on and rinses the brakes. Park the truck and go fishing. Come in and put the boat on the trailer and pull out. Hook a short hose from the back of trailer to the kicker. hit the switch and use the wash down to quickly wash the boat and trailer off. I just leave the switch on and it does the brakes and kicker till the tank empty's. It's been 5 years this August and they still good.

Attachments

• IMG_3449.JPG
    IMG_3449.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3450.JPG
    IMG_3450.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3457.JPG
    IMG_3457.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3494.JPG
    IMG_3494.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3602.JPG
    IMG_3602.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3504.JPG
    IMG_3504.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3503.JPG
    IMG_3503.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 66
This is how the brakes are rigged up

Attachments

• IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3488.JPG
    IMG_3488.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3485.JPG
    IMG_3485.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3482.JPG
    IMG_3482.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3490.JPG
    IMG_3490.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3595.JPG
    IMG_3595.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3599.JPG
    IMG_3599.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3607.JPG
    IMG_3607.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3609.JPG
    IMG_3609.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 49
Nice work!
How do the plastic lines going into the drums hold up with the heat generated by the brakes?

So far so good. there has been the odd replacement do to seaweed and **** hanging up on them. Thought about rigging up some copper lines and fittings into the backing plates, But some crack head would probably steal them.

I have a 200 litre plastic drum and a washdown pump set up as a unit that i put in the box of my truck when launching or retrieving the boat. The brakes are electric actuated dexters. I use Salt Away also but not really sure it makes any difference. Just getting the dreaded salt water out of the brakes is probably enough. my trailer is painted, not galvinized so it gets a bath also and it looks pretty mint.
Thanks. I changed everything including the backing plates 2years ago. I rigged up a flushing system and I am religious about flushing when I get home, but I’ve already got one of the brakes binding.
I was in the local auto parts store inquiring about a disk brake conversion. The guy behind me in line ran a trailer repair business and said to save my money. If I was going to change, he said get rid if the hydraulic surge system, and go electric actuated. I just assumed you couldn’t put electric actuated in the ocean.

Clean for 5yrs old. I rigged up a flush system with brass fittings. More volume but I don’t think it gets as much coverage as those garden nozzles. Also, I only flush it when I get home
I think this is why mine have lasted as long. To be fair those photos only had about 3 years on them. They are a little worse looking now, but far from done. I think that the flushing them as soon as possible really makes the difference. There only ever salted for as long as it takes me to hit the switch.

Great setup. I’m moving to the island in a few weeks from the lower mainland where I’ve always launched in fresh water. Been trying to think up a system and will make something up like you’ve done. Thanks for posting.

I pickup up the tank and pump at princess auto and the rest was just sprinkler pipe and fittings. Think the whole setup was about $200. The tank and pump is for s Fertilizer sprayer for a ATV. If you build something like this make sure to have some drains for winter storage so you don’t crack the pipes

I have two 2 1/2 gallon pressure water fire extinguishers mounted and locked to the frame rails. I just unlock one grab it and spray down the part of the trailer that was submerged. Too bad most marinas don't have a fresh water dunk pool for trailers. A sloping ramp into a pool of fresh water....simply back down and submerge in fresh water right after using the saltwater ramp...would be an effective all over rinse and would penetrate all brakes systems completely.

Back