BC Ferries Clam-Chowder Recipe

I always assumed it was clam chowder, not ham chowder with a pile of chicken base. Another fine example why a lot of people have trouble with restaurants etc. I've always loved clam chowder but fail to understand that chicken stock mentality in seafood stocks and sauces. I don't imagine that chefs put shellfish stock in chicken noodle soup. Please excuse my rant.;) eman

Hahaha. I eat in restaraunts “occasionally” not often cuz I have a phobia about how clean the staff is. Never thought about what they’re putting in as substitutes though.

I always assumed it was clam chowder, not ham chowder with a pile of chicken base. Another fine example why a lot of people have trouble with restaurants etc. I've always loved clam chowder but fail to understand that chicken stock mentality in seafood stocks and sauces. I don't imagine that chefs put shellfish stock in chicken noodle soup. Please excuse my rant.;) eman
Fish stock (ling cod or halibut or salmon heads) make a roux, add cream and whatever seafood you want. I guess it's more a seafood than clam chowder that I make.

I will give it a go, as it brings back memories.

Just have to wrap my head around 743 grams of potatos, 750 would be catastrophic I guess.

And I will have to search for 252 grams of tomato paste. I would assume a 250ML can would also through the recipe off?

I usually make the New England (white) style but have made the Manhattan style on occasion, sometimes using Clamato Juice as a base. Corn and Crab chowder is a good way to use up freezer crab.

I use the recipe from the 1950s Betty Crocker cookbook. Its the book that many girls had when they were taking Home Ec. in high school. My wife got it from her mother. Can be varied with creamed corn and other items-- Use FRESH clams-- a little sand is GOOD !!!

Chicken base =salt.

Tried it this week. Great recipe, great taste, like to try it with less flour. The end volume was, well, lots.

Back