2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Beautiful day on the water. Managed to get into a few winters thanks to Andrews spoons and some cooperative bait balls. Interesting to see herring, anchovies and some small perch inside them. Hopefully the picture posts here.

image.jpeg Managed to get out Wed aft for a couple hours with Bushy. Lots of birds and bait out deeper off Ballenas and water was flat calm. My side hit first and I knew it was a keeper, and Bushy the net man did a good job and as soon as it was in the boat his rod went crazy. He grabbed it and the fish took off and peeled out a lot of line. We both thought it was a large fish but when it was in the net it definitely out fought its weight. Almost a double header but two fish in short order. Bushy had bait and I had on an old Coyote spoon.............BRS

Got out a bit later on Monday with my brother inlaw and fished out front. Tried a new spoon Contraband made by Pesca. The glow is unreal on these spoons! Anyways caught a couple on it but all undersize. Tried a green glow splatter teaser head as well with 5” anchovies which did really good too for the 2 hours we were out. Nothing of size though. Lots of head shakers. Water was lake calm and tones of coho jumping a few we got a kick out of because it looks like they were going to jump in the boat lol. All in all though felt good just to get out and drop lines. Hope everyone had a good and successful weekend of fishing!

Off Bowser was quite the show with seals, killer whales and commercial guys. Not much chance for the fish :-(

Attachments

• IMG_1510.JPG
    IMG_1510.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 190
Welll it may have been the full moon... But all in all there has to be a few fish around... I know a few of my buddies were picking up some high teens off hornby. .you would think those fish would be around out front aswell.. Perhaps give another kick at the can tommorow if the wind stays down... I can officially say that was my first skunk and not even a hit... Hope it gets better

Had some luck this morning on the north side of Winchelsea at the east end coming up into about 230’ with green glow lime hootchies at 150’ and 210’, a few unders a couple just legals and a few hits to keep things interesting after what was a long drought. A few other boats with nets out tells me the action is picking up....alas now back to work for the week. You retired guys, save a few for us while we keep the world running!

Yup, was out tonight after dinner for a quick fish. Lots of action. Boated a couple of nice fish, one was 84cm. We released several unders. Lost a couple of good runners as well so definitely good action. 4 inch spoons were best at 147 feet.

C82CD2EC-9349-4D80-81AF-5469BDF10AE0.jpeg C978A45D-DCCF-4472-869C-D6F943D8161B.jpeg AEFB07D4-9922-4FDA-AEB5-9DF5F166ECC0.jpeg Went out with my daughter, picked one keeper and released one under. Using a 4” Gibbs spoon @ 81’. Just below the algae bloom - which was nasty on the top water. Told my daughter that this was the first fish in 10 years that was caught on this boat (17’ Cope that we put back together- still catches fish LOL). Couldn’t beat the weather.

Yup, was out tonight after dinner for a quick fish. Lots of action. Boated a couple of nice fish, one was 84cm. We released several unders. Lost a couple of good runners as well so definitely good action. 4 inch spoons were best at 147 feet.
View attachment 37616 View attachment 37617 View attachment 37618 Went out with my daughter, picked one keeper and released one under. Using a 4” Gibbs spoon @ 81’. Just below the algae bloom - which was nasty on the top water. Told my daughter that this was the first fish in 10 years that was caught on this boat (17’ Cope that we put back together- still catches fish LOL). Couldn’t beat the weather.
Hi Rob; all good up here on DI with #7. Been out last week and it catches fish!! LOL cheers, John

Got out for a quick fish out front yesterday afternoon. Lost a maybe keeper near the boat and then had a double header of a 12lber and one that was 60cms and released. Had a couple other undersized fish and then it seemed to slow down around 4pm once the current picked up. Ran two rods at 140 and 155. Everything on Pesca spoons, no luck with the hootchie. Thanks to the guy who let me know the fish were a bit shallower, I was down around 180 for a while with no luck.

Out again last night after what was supposed to be a maintenance trip to the boat - unfortunately didn't have the stuff I needed...back to Harbour Chandler...but it gave me an excuse to sneak out alone. Fished for about 1.5 hours, managed to bring home one really nice fish for dinner and released another. Had a few others on briefly before the bite stopped. I tried using small Luhr Jensen Needle Fish spoons for something different and they worked quite well. Seemed like all the fish in past few days had 4 inch herring in them, so I was tossing either 4 inch spoons or big hoochies. The needle fish spoon experiment showed they aren't as picky as I might have thought.

147 and 137 were the depths.

the old salmon spoon or the little trout spoon?

Attachments

• needlefish.jpg
    needlefish.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 107
  • nf.jpg
    nf.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 102
Back