Modifications you're proud of...

I just installed the lowrance autopilot and what a game changer. Can't imagine fishing into the wind without it now. Lol.

Amazing setup and performance numbers! Are you using a second lowrance at the stern for steering with the Autopilot? I'm thinking about adding the lowrance autopilot just so I can take my hands off the wheel when we have a fish on. Already have he point 1 antenna...

Any hard numbers on the fuel with the previous setup?

Sure looks good now.

With the lowrance flow meter on the 5.7 set up i would cruise 25ish it read approx 14 gph. Now cruising at 30 the gauge is reading 9gph. With 4 guys if they're all in the cabin I don't need to use trim tabs to get on plain.

Amazing setup and performance numbers! Are you using a second lowrance at the stern for steering with the Autopilot? I'm thinking about adding the lowrance autopilot just so I can take my hands off the wheel when we have a fish on. Already have he point 1 antenna...

Thank you. The AP comes with a separate hydraulic pump. I t'd into the rear station and have a lowrance hds 12 on the dash wich I can see fine from the rear deck. The AP comes with a stand alone button wired in. It allows you to disengage AP and steer with the wheel. You can set a new course and then push the button to engage the AP on the new course. I also seen that you can add a wireless fob to steer with as well as engage and disengage the AP. I think it was approx $500 us though. I don't mind hitting the button, steering to a new course then hit the button again from the back deck. I have the point one with the hds 12. The AP comes with its own point one. I thought I may as well use the new point one but when I turned the unit on I got a warning that there was no steering compass. I hooked the old P1 back in and it was fine.

With the lowrance flow meter on the 5.7 set up i would cruise 25ish it read approx 14 gph. Now cruising at 30 the gauge is reading 9gph. With 4 guys if they're all in the cabin I don't need to use trim tabs to get on plain.
Wow, that's really significant.

And with the broad torque curve of the ETEC, it'll probably run pretty well at speeds from 20 on up.

wireless fob to steer with as well as engage and disengage the AP. .
Very nice, I have been looking at couple other options but that looks pretty slick. I already have the Point 1 and Nema starter kit so I could sell those. Just do I invest more in my battle wagon or look for a Cadillac like yours. You have a slaying machine, hope to see it up at Rivers Inlet. We tried to go last year but it was blowing a gale, so we explored around PA instead.

Decided to swap the 5.7 Volvo for an
Evinrude E-tec.

Can't believe the numbers

Four guys full 120 Gallons of fuel. 15hp merc kicker. Really happy with it. Heading to Rivers inlet in Aug. Looking forward to the fuel economy vs the Volvo.

Nice !!

Resurrecting this thread as I've just recently finished another project on the boat that I thought some of you here with smaller boats like mine would be interested in.It's a removable fish cleaning trough for my 16 ft. DE.I started with a standard "Coho Fish Cleaner" plastic trough made by Seadogline.It's 31.5" long with a cut out at one end for the tail section to stick out so I figure it's big enough to clean something upwards of 36" plus which would be a spring into the low/mid 20's or so.Having a small boat presents its challenges for things being in the way and of course the storage aspect as well,so with a little ingenuity I came up with this.I'll give you the part numbers of the stuff I used in case anyone would like to copy the idea.

Boat Cleaning Trough 023.JPG View attachment 36640 I used a Seadogline "Coho Fish Cleaner" #325950 that I purchased from my local marine supply shop for around $40.It comes with these rope tethers that just wrap over the side and hook into the edge of the gunnel on the inside but I didn't like the idea
of the trough just hanging loosely over the side like that,especially in rough weather,so I looked at various "Ram" mounts on the GPS City website and found exactly what I was looking for.Here's the trough with the ball mounts bolted on.The part number for the 2 Ram mounts is
RAM-B-101U.

Last edited:
After some playing around with the trough at the area I wanted to mount it,I figured out that I needed to raise the ball mount on the gunnel up about 1.5" to get it to sit on top of an already existing mount for pulling my halibut anchor chain so I made a couple of blocks out of some nice clear red cedar I had laying around and painted them up.Boat Cleaning Trough 026.JPG

And here's the trough fully mounted.I have to say I'm impressed at how sturdy it feels and I have no concerns about it being able to support the weight of a decent size spring at all!Boat Cleaning Trough 029.JPG Boat Cleaning Trough 031.JPG Boat Cleaning Trough 032.JPG

But now what to do with it when not in use? The only place I could figure out where to store it was below the splash well as this was the only area I had with sufficient length to hang it.I found a couple of stainless boat hook brackets from Seadogline
part# 491130-1 that fit the bill perfectly.I figured out exactly where I wanted to hang it and marked out where to put a small slit in the plastic rim at either corner and cut the slits using a drill and a dremal tool.I drilled and mounted the brackets so they lined up perfectly with the slits at dead center of the splash well and presto,one cleaning trough out of the way.
All in all,I think it turned out pretty good,and all in including taxes came to just over $100.No more cleaning fish on the back deck or precariously hanging over the side with a razor sharp fillet knife hoping you don't hack a didget or two off in the process!
Now I just gotta get out there and get some fresh blood all over my new gutting trough.Boat Cleaning Trough 034.JPG Boat Cleaning Trough 033.JPG

Nak.JPG

Great job fshnfnatic!

Some might remember I bought a Bostrom air ride seat and made a aluminum mounting plate a few yrs ago, found another for the old lady and boy is she spoiled, leather and heated too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool fish gutter! It looks like you also have a mount point on the front of the engine well? I like that location because 1. your working in the center of the boat and 2. if the fish fell out of the gutter you haven't lost it overboard.

Cool fish gutter! It looks like you also have a mount point on the front of the engine well? I like that location because 1. your working in the center of the boat and 2. if the fish fell out of the gutter you haven't lost it overboard.
Actually no FR.Those are 1.5" ball mounts for another type of Ram Mount I have for my Goprp cameras.I could get the smaller 1" ball mounts and utilize that spot as well though and just rinse the blood out after I'm done.Good call!

I always use a rope through the fish mouth when using my trough just in case :)
That would be a good idea as an extra safety measure,blindmonkey.That's how I gutted my fish before this idea with them just hanging over the side with a piece of tuna cord choked through the gill plate.

Back