Double eagle power

I have a 1996 16' double eagle with a 1996 Johnson 60hp(commercial motor with the bigger leg). My boat had foam under the floor when I installed a gas tank but it was bone dry underneath. With the 60hp the boat tops out at 35mph. Hole shot with 2 guys and fishing gear (17p prop) is great. Anymore than 2 in the boat I need the 15p prop. Will be upgrading to a 115hp soon(max hull rating) 70hp is way too small for a 17'

I have a 17’ double eagle with a 90 yammy 4stroke. I’m satisfied with it, but it’s no rocket. Very economical though. I have a matching 9.9 high thrust and they look and run great!

My bud is getting a 140 Suzuki 4 stroke in his this month, and that will haul butt!

I have a 17' DE w/2 stroke 70. Not the fastest for sure but it does everything I have needed it to do. 3guys in the boat it gets up on plane no problem and will pull my hali anchor with 3 on board as well. Cruise out to my spot around 23-24mph. I have a 30 minute run at most before I drop lines and start trolling so maybe more of an issue if going long distances. Needs and wants. Having said all that the old motor is not going to last much longer so I have started looking for a replacement and find myself looking at 90hp options. I think I just want to go a bit faster (fun factor) but defenitley dont need to.

My 17 de has a 90 4 stroke and it's fine but when I repower I'll definitely kick up to 115 my old 94 hourston 172 had the 115 and I think it was perfectly powered

I looked at the boat hull was in decent shape but the boat has been neglected for years and didn't have a proper cover on it. Plus the middle cylinder only came back at 20lb

That was a common problem with the 3 cylinder 70hp motors. They idled rough when they were new and once one hole dropped in compression they won't idle for long and stall out. It likely has scoured the cylinder walls...broken ring or water intrusion from getting hot are the likely causes.

That’s exactly what happened to mine

Agree with profisher, they are rebuildable but unless you can do all the work and it comes apart with no issues (unlikely on an engine that old and exposed to salt) its not worth it. I've got a 1986 Johnson 150 on my 17 DE and when it pops it'll more than likely get replaced with a Suzuki 140. For me a 115 would be minimum power. With a 120L tank and loaded with people and gear the weight adds up quick. Great boats if they haven't been converted into sponges by neglectful owners.

I have a 85hp merc on my 17.5' and it does 30mph with 2 guys over 250+ lbs and gear. No prob getting to plane with that but when it goes ill prob go with a 115 yammy

Had a 17.6 DE for 15 years, always had 90 2 strokes and never had a complaint. New 18.6 BE has the 140 4 stroke, again no complaints. Must say I am a fisherman, so no real need to scream, if I pulled tubers or played water sports may have been different.

HM

Just an FYI
This has probably come up before,
the 176 DE is actually 17'1"
the 166 DE is actually 16'1"

Lot's of owners think they are 17'6" and 16'6" respectively
which is not the case

Only going by model number. Not even sure of OAL, just know that the 90 was OK on the 17 and 140 good for my purpose on the 18.6. Did look at an 18.6 with a 225 on back. Did not buy as I assessed as to much motor.

HM

Only going by model number. Not even sure of OAL, just know that the 90 was OK on the 17 and 140 good for my purpose on the 18.6. Did look at an 18.6 with a 225 on back. Did not buy as I assessed as to much motor.

HM
Was it mine? Lol

Was it podded? If not I can't imagine the flooded back well with a big stern sea. Mine with the 4 stroke 140 and 9.9 "washes" good in the wrong conditions. Can't imagine it with 225 back there.

HM

I have a 17’ double eagle with a 90 yammy 4stroke. I’m satisfied with it, but it’s no rocket. Very economical though. I have a matching 9.9 high thrust and they look and run great!

My bud is getting a 140 Suzuki 4 stroke in his this month, and that will haul butt!

I’ll let you know top speed in a couple weeks! Hoping to hit 50mph

I have an 1984 DE 176 (17.1) with a hard top, when I bought it it came with a 1970's 70hp Evinrude, which really is about 55hp at todays standards. And it was grossly under powered. After the 70hp died (which I put a Dolphin wing on, and that helped a bit) I put a 1994 Merc 2 stroke thats still on the boat and when I feel like it the boat flies, but that said I mostly run it at about 3700rpm and that equates to about 24-25 mph according to my gps

Back