HALIBUT CLOSURE

Good article in the Seattle Times the part that states;

“The Canadians are not in agreement with the U.S. over their share of the responsibility. That is where the rub is,” said Bob Alverson, a Washington fishing-industry official who is one of three U.S. commissioners.

Wonder if Bob represents the Washington Trawl Fleet who are annually throwing millions of pounds of dead halibut by catch over the side. The group even the Alaskan long liners acknowledge are a major environmental disaster.Also notice the article fails to mention the American harvest is huge compared to the Small percentage allocated to Canada?How Trumpish!

Last edited:
Serengetti..until there are more boots on the ground and there is a lot more money in the bank...it ain't going to happen. If you want effective coast wide representation at all the important meeting tables, get out your wallet. SVIAC doesn't have the manpower or the financial resources to take that job on. (effectively)

Why are we criticizing an advocacy group now? Come on guys. BTW in regards to a protest. Right now with what is going on with orca situation its a bad idea.

I have had some experience with these protests, and it not a good idea with public perception right now.

https://halibutchronicles.com/2018/01/25/why-are-halibut-stocks-declining/

I will leave you with this from article I posted after we argue over quotas. Here is something for your reading pleasure::eek:

"The commercial trawl industry is a multi-billion dollar industry that targets groundfish that include yellowfin sole, arrowtooth flounder, etc. They drag the bottom and capture their targeted species as well as juvenile halibut, the very halibut this area was intended to protect.

In 2017 the trawl fleet killed, as by-catch, 867 metric tons of halibut! That’s 1.9 million pounds of halibut — a number larger than Area 2A’s halibut quota. These juvenile halibut average four to six pounds. Using the high number of six, that’s a total of 316,667 small halibut."

If you want. Lobbyist in Ottawa, that's great, but don't forget you have an elected Member of Parliament in Ottawa who is there on your behalf and whose job is to raise your issues. Not sure a lobbyist can accomplish more than an MP? You put him or her there, so you have the power. Nice part of using your MP is that he costs you nothing extra and his or her contract is only good for four years. Sometimes they need reminding, particularly when it's coming up for renewal.

Everything that is being said has been said over and over. Fact is it is all circling the bowl.The big business of fishing will kill it all and then move on to something else.
But don’t worry folks we have DFO here to keep finding ways of getting more money out of less fish going to less already rich people.

Oh and if restrictions get to be too hindering DFO says hey, If ya give one of those few people a bunch more money the rules will no longer apply to you. You can go out on the water and catch as many as ya want as long as you keep paying.

I am done on here! Just tell me wen it opens and I will do all I can do to kill as many as I need before you tell me I can’t kill no more!

Last edited:
Must say I do love the passion... I'm sure we will have the season announcement some where around the feb 05/06 after the SFAB main board meeting....

See there is one person that truly gets it. Right there is what we need to focus on.

It is only done with an advocacy group like SFI , SVIAC or BCWF. SFAB/SFAC is an advisory process. In order for it to happen everyone needs to pay for it.

So true. BTW, there are already Province wide groups that lobby and advocate for your interests in Ottawa - the SFI and the BCWF. Not too sure what adding any more would do, but fill your boots - please just join something or get involved in some way. Consider for a moment what the fishery would look like if we didn't have groups like these representing us at the highest levels in Ottawa. Not as open and inclusive as it is now, I can assure you. It was these two groups and their members who financed and lead the charge on the last successful go 'round for quota as well as the Malcolm Case, so I'd be inclined to listen to their experience in these matters and wait until the time is right to spend your political capital.

We've received a decrease of 14.7% of our TCEY and that will translate in to something between 925,000 and 960,000 lbs by the time the dust settles with allocating the TAC domestically. The process whereby this will get turned in to a set of regulations for our fishery will take place next week. I'm confident that the folks at the table have the expertise, integrity and objectivity to make the fairest recommendation they can on behalf of all sectors and regions of the coast. Its not going to be easy, and at the end of the day all they've got to work with is season length, bag and possession limits, and maximum sizes to get the job done. Wish them your best and support them - they get paid absolutely nothing to do this on your behalf.

CP

That is absolutely not true. The northern lodges could care less about a full season. They are only open during the summer months. There are some guides on here who want a bigger fish as the priority and would sacrifice the shoulder seasons to get it. I would suggest it is the opposite to what you just suggested. There are more average Joe's who want a longer season so they get a chance at a fish when they get time off.

2017 was a stellar Halibut season for most. You read through the comments from folks who spent the whole season on the water guiding and they all say it was the weather that allowed more time & further out to fish. That also ment more boats on the water for DFO fly overs.

Hopefully last year was seen as an anomaly & we won't see much for changes in 2018.

The average joe fisherman's priority is not part of the big picture. It's about a long season for the lodges and guides.

My question to u is ...do u actually show up to a SFAC meeting? Your response says not!... As a Area 17 SFAC chair my area gives me there recommendation which I forward to the SFAB main board..then the main takes all of the consideration & comes up with what works with all.... that being said.. if you do not like what SFI offers then at the very least became a BCWF and or SVIAC member. Even better join all 3 groups... I'm a member of all 3.. personal choice as they all help represent my needs............. and u?

We've received a decrease of 14.7% of our TCEY and that will translate in to something between 925,000 and 960,000 lbs by the time the dust settles with allocating the TAC domestically. The process whereby this will get turned in to a set of regulations for our fishery will take place next week. I'm confident that the folks at the table have the expertise, integrity and objectivity to make the fairest recommendation they can on behalf of all sectors and regions of the coast. Its not going to be easy, and at the end of the day all they've got to work with is season length, bag and possession limits, and maximum sizes to get the job done. Wish them your best and support them - they get paid absolutely nothing to do this on your behalf.

CP

As someone that has had the honor to meet and talk about halibut to these folks I can appreciate what they do and how they make the decisions. I may not always agree but in the end after everything is said and done I support them 100%. Time has proven to me that they know what they are doing given the difficulty of predicting the season with the tools they have.

Do you think we will get a crack at Halibut before the commercial season opens?
Off Victoria there is a commercial guy who fishes hard til the dogfish move in early in May and makes a big impact on the sports catch, (my opinion only)
Commercial notice....
"b) On March 24, 2018 at 12:00 retention of Pacific Halibut will be permitted
coastwide. Please refer to the Integrated Fisheries Management Plan (IFMP) for
additional details regarding Halibut retention in groundfish management area
4B. No Halibut shall be retained after 12:00 local time, November 7, 2018."

I'm not sure as we will just start to see the options in the next couple days .. I'm sure SVIAC and your SFAC will put forward what they feel is there best options regarding your area... I also enjoy a couple fishing trips in your area myself :)

Back