Please help: Planning a "fishing stag" for May 2018.

Steve

Hi All, I need a little bit of help. I'm the best man for a wedding in June and I have to plan the stag for late May.

The groom wants to go fishing as he's never caught a fish in his life.

Can you guys recommend a good place to go where he is most likely to catch something?

Thanks all!

**Edit** We are all live in Vancouver, right in the city. Somewhere reasonably close would be ideal as we don't have an unlimited budget.

Hi All, I need a little bit of help. I'm the best man for a wedding in June and I have to plan the stag for late May.

The groom wants to go fishing as he's never caught a fish in his life.

Can you guys recommend a good place to go where he is most likely to catch something?

Thanks all!

Where you located?

Where you located?

You caught me before I could add my location. We are right in the city of vancouver. So a fishing charter around the inlet would be ideal, but I hear the fishing isn't great that time of year. I've also been recommended to go to the fraser for sturgeon (was going to post this in the 'freshwater' section) , or to Vancouver Island somewhere?

Actually May can be pretty good fishing. Last year it was good early out off Point Grey in April or May, then there is the Hump south of Bowen and if you were to book a longer charter and weather permits they could run across the Strait to Thrasher/Porlier area. Have had some great days at the Hump or across the Strait in May. They will take you to where the fishing is best....also not a bad time for Hole in the Wall north of Horseshoe Bay.

Bon Chovy and Pacific Angler are both great options and have multiple boats in their fleet depending on numbers you have wanting to fish.

Last edited:
As someone who recently looked into this you should see what your buds expectations are. 4 or 8 hour charter?. Booking a hotel in Vancouver overnight? There ability to handle sea waves? Are they expecting to drink?

I wanted to go with bon chovy fishing but ultimately my buds out voted me.

I’d recommend sturgeon fishing, you anchor out and it’s flat calum. Their is a very high likely hood of all catching fish and fighting them together. I’d recommend bring a cooler putting some fire ball, beer, chips, beef jerky and packed lunch some charters proved a packed lunch.

I’d only go ocean fishing if everyone knows what there getting them selves into.

The only issue could be spring freshets Fraser River. Could be blown out

Last edited:
Bonchovy and Pacific Angler are your best choices.

I know the owners of both companies personally and their rates are competitive.
Both organizations guides and owners take their business very seriously.

Perhaps I chose the wrong words, sturgeon fishing during spring freshest can be less effective for a variety of factors. Water clarity defently not one of them. As white buck corectly pointed out.

Dogging the trees floating down the river while your ur anchored not fun or snagging while toeing the fish to the landing spot also not fun.

Bonchovy or go with great river for sturgeon. I'm an ocean guy and I planned a sturgeon stag and it was a blast. Everyone got to play a fish and we got a couple on each boat over 7'

Does he want to drag in a few 8 lb chinook with flasher in tow or maybe hook a 7 or 8 foot dino. For a stag I'd go sturgeon for the photo ops. but the caveat is may can be iffy with high water and debris in river. I used Lang's in the past and waa happy with them.

Does he want to drag in a few 8 lb chinook with flasher in tow or maybe hook a 7 or 8 foot dino. For a stag I'd go sturgeon for the photo ops. but the caveat is may can be iffy with high water and debris in river. I used Lang's in the past and waa happy with them.
The sturgeon fishing would definitely be a blast. I also think by late May the salmon fishing will have picked up and there will likely be some 15+ pounders in the boat if you go with some of the reputable companies listed in some of the posts above. Also keep on mind that to guys who don’t fish much if any, a salmon of this size would be unforgettable. You can also cook up a salmon (and crab) dinner and enjoy that together also.
You’re 100% right Cali, 4-5 best buds in a pic with a sturgeon longer than all of them across would make one heck of a photo op. Then post that photo on the bragging rights thread!

Last edited:
I guide out of Sooke at that time and there can be some good fishing. However it seems like for the past 4-5 years the guys that fish out of the Nanaimo area do very well in May for fish in the teens to low twenties. I like making a paycheck but prefer to steer people in the right direction just as much. Just suggesting by going with the odds.

Sturgeon fishing would be a blast for sure, just putting an option out there. Thought a roadie with the boys sweet accommodation and a couple days on the open ocean equals good times. We do a few stag groups a year with multiple boats and a big or couple large high end rentals they seem pretty pumped about their experience. The nice part is you get to take fish home with you vs sturgeon catch and release how ever the pic would be pretty cool :)

No doubt that is is a once and a lifetime adventure for sure one that I would love to be apart of. However, I went with some friends fishing in bamfield and two buddies spent the whole first day puking their guts outs out fishing big bank. The second day they refused to go out.

Just need to take everyone's expectations into consideration for a Stag and that can be tricky to plan.

Bon Chovy does overnight trips to Gabriola Island, Silva Bay - and you can get two days of fishing in the Gulf Islands. Great way to feel like you're "getting out of the city", but also all your travel is directly for fishing purposes. In May the fishing in Strait of Georgia is arguably better than anywhere on the coast, and the weather is almost definitely better.

Back