Fuel Burn

I have a 200HP Yamaha on the back of my 22 Pro Cuddy (RH BOATS). I know what the fuel burn on that motor is but I also have a Yamaha 9.9 LS Kicker. Is there a cheap way to figure fuel burn on this motor?

What’s your rate for the Yamaha 200. Is it a four stroke? That’s what I have in my 22’ Campion which I haven’t calculated exactly yet

My Yamaha 9.9hp HO used less than half a gallon an hour at mid throttle. Why not get a 3 gallon tank and hook direct to the 9.9. That way you can get an accurate fuel burn

Then 200 and the 9.9 are both tied into the main tank. At full throttle the main 200 burns 18.5 GPH. I realize the kicker consumes very little but it might be of benefit one day if I am stuck offshore and need to motor in. That happened in my buddies boat out of Neah Bay.

You won't get any engine data off a 9.9. Full throttle on a 9.9 is about 1gph. Half throttle about 0.5gph. You will likely find you gain little if any extra speed above about 70% throttle...good for probably 5.5 to 6mph in your boat. Good for around 8mpg.

One thing helps big time is do not run big motor wide open , just by pulling back 500 will save you alot of gas
Yes, there is a HUGE difference when I haven't firewalled the throttle. I monitor the fuel flow on the 200 and when cruising, like to stay below 10 GPH. I can get there almost as quick PLUS I usually let a veteran steer while I finish rigging lines. They love to steer.

Thanks Aussie, The weight of my boat ( 22' RH Pro Cuddy ) is approx. 6000lbs wet. The burn rates listed are definitely in the ball park. My guage on the 200HP shows about 18.4 + or - at full throttle. The 9.9 Yammie pushes the boat while trolling at a very low RPM so my burn could probably be considered "negligible". What is the weight of your boat?

Back