Prawning Newbie

Jeffzee

Good afternoon guys, I am hoping to try prawning next time i get out. I was gifted a trap for Christmas, I think I have it all setup properly from things i have read. My question is, if i am out fishing in Vancouver Harbour, is there anywhere worth while dropping the trap or do you have to get up into howe sound for good prawning. I know people dont like to give away their spots but just hoping for a nudge in the right direction :) Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.
And yes i am aware of the closures.
Thanks everyone!

This is an open forum where anyone and everyone reads. Your best bet is to research the type of structure, depths, preferred bottom then go out and through trial and error you will find your own spots. Fishing pressure has probably double the past 5 years in my experience and there are less numbers in the more popular areas that have been named on this site and others. Also beware of thieves as they are everywhere, my friend lost a set in early december. Using the search function you can learn a lot on this forum. Best pieces of advice I can give are purchase the navionics app for your phone to preplan and use the pellets soaked in prawn oil but also add cat food for extra scent

Parts of Howe Sound are currently closed for prawning. Please review the regs prior to dropping your trap. Howe
sound and Indian arm are generally speaking, the closest areas to Van for prawning.

Here is your direction. Find your own spot. Look for that in red on your sounder. That is what I look for. A sharp drop off , and then where it flatten out preferably 180feet plus. Start dropping in a line from a drop off or shelf. That is all you need to know if not successful move around until you find them doesn't matter the area. They also often can move a little away from where you set them so experiment. Stay with the traps if you can especially in areas you are unfamiliar with. You will be way more successful not following everyone else, and its way more fun!

Attachments

• trap.JPG
    trap.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 412
I do the same always trying new spots and find red for the bottom , it's so cool when ya find a hot spot on your own and learn from what ya did is always rewarding !!

I do the same always trying new spots and find red for the bottom , it's so cool when ya find a hot spot on your own and learn from what ya did is always rewarding !!

I remember a time with Sculpin actually years back on our way out on westcoast that proved this example. We didn't really know area at all just look for a ledge and dropped them down. The rest was history... The traps were like down not even a few hours and just loaded.

For me I always find more where people aren't if I can. Way more rewarding.

Here is your direction. Find your own spot. Look for that in red on your sounder. That is what I look for. A sharp drop off , and then where it flatten out preferably 180feet plus. Start dropping in a line from a drop off or shelf. That is all you need to know if not successful move around until you find them doesn't matter the area. They also often can move a little away from where you set them so experiment. Stay with the traps if you can especially in areas you are unfamiliar with. You will be way more successful not following everyone else, and its way more fun!

Why do you look for Red? Is that a sign of a specific type of bottom?

Additional tip. Pull your pots within 2 hours when “prospecting” Prawns are in the trap fairly quickly if they are around. If traps have a reasonable amount in them reset for a longer soak. If not much there try another spot usually deeper or shallower.

Why do you look for Red? Is that a sign of a specific type of bottom?
If you look at the attached photo in springvelocity’s post, it has a sketch with a drop off that levels out and then he circled what his hot spot would look like in red. I was wondering that too at first too.

Relative newbie here as well - have caught some prawns but not huge numbers yet. Couple of things I learned from the first few sets. make sure you bait containers are only half full - the pellets swell once they become hydrated, change half the bait out at least once a day to keep the scent strong (was told this one), make sure the traps are cinched up tightly or you can lose prawns when pulling the traps over the side (haha); get a puller - I now have an Ace Brutus and it is excellent. Like the comments about finding you own spots. Kind of what I did and it was pretty rewarding the first time the traps came up with prawns in them. Have fun.

Yellow is solid rock. Not much for prawns to hide
Red is with some vegetation growth. Good hiding spots for prawns
Purple is mud

Back