Underwater Brook Trout Attack Tactics

FishDoc

Underwater Brook Trout Behavior while ice fishing using a Jaw Jacker, Len Thompson Spoon and Slender Spoon. To get this video I just pointed a GoPro down to watch what would go on while I had a Jaw Jacker set up and while jigging. This was a excellent day of brook trout fishing on very thin ice. The fish were coming in quickly and highly aggressive. You can see the difference in behavior between a dead stick presentation and jigging. It is very profound and might have you changing your fishing ways.

Cool video, I will definitely keep this behaviour in mind in the next few weeks. My buds and I are headed up to the Roche Lake area to do some ice fishing and a few of the lakes close by have brookies. I've never fished for brookies before, it will be my first time targeting them in general, let alone through the ice.

We're hoping for a nice mixed bag of Bows, Brookies and Kokanee to smoke up. We're going to try Stump for the Kokes and some of the brookie lakes in the vicinity. Even with Roche a few other lakes in the park closed, there are some that are open to ice fish.

What lake were you on here? (edit, you may not wish to post that publicly though I'd be curious if you care to PM me)

I'll try to take some vids of the action, if we get any. Headed up on Jan 19th for the weekend.

We don't have a Marcum or proper underwater camera, but I have a waterproof point and shoot that I'll put on a self stick and see what we can find. I have a portable Helix 5 Chirp DI that has a flasher function. I've never used the flasher function before so that should be interesting.

I'll try to set it up with Down Imaging and Flasher showing at the same time on a split screen which could be a neat thing to watch. Corroborating stories of the two different formats...

Cool video, I will definitely keep this behaviour in mind in the next few weeks. My buds and I are headed up to the Roche Lake area to do some ice fishing and a few of the lakes close by have brookies. I've never fished for brookies before, it will be my first time targeting them in general, let alone through the ice.

We're hoping for a nice mixed bag of Bows, Brookies and Kokanee to smoke up. We're going to try Stump for the Kokes and some of the brookie lakes in the vicinity. Even with Roche a few other lakes in the park closed, there are some that are open to ice fish.

What lake were you on here? (edit, you may not wish to post that publicly though I'd be curious if you care to PM me)

I'll try to take some vids of the action, if we get any. Headed up on Jan 19th for the weekend.

We don't have a Marcum or proper underwater camera, but I have a waterproof point and shoot that I'll put on a self stick and see what we can find. I have a portable Helix 5 Chirp DI that has a flasher function. I've never used the flasher function before so that should be interesting.

I'll try to set it up with Down Imaging and Flasher showing at the same time on a split screen which could be a neat thing to watch. Corroborating stories of the two different formats...

Hope you did well out there this past weekend. Once you get to use a flasher it really is the only way to go on ice. I love using mine, cant fish without it! Hope you have a good report for us from your trip.

Back from a few days around Roche, hitting up Stump (caught a massive bow there) then we went to Bleeker, Horseshoe, Rose, Tulip and Black. Just sporadic action here and there over the course of 3 days.

Couldn't get it dialed in but got a few brookies. Not sure if it is too late in the season or what. But the bites were very soft and sporadic. They weren't biting hard. We could see them swim by, take a nibble and carry on. We tried active presentations and passive. Maggots, worms, shrimp, powerbait etc. Nothing worked with any sort of consistency. Fickle.

Tried using a flasher of various sizes with a hook or smaller spoon below it, but it wasn't getting any more action that just a bare hook or small jig head tipped with bait. However, it may have been helping to 'call them in' to our holes. But once below us, they wouldn't hit it any more consistently than other presentations.

Back