Fish Farm trouble in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
These too:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2015/mpo-dfo/Fs70-5-2015-005-eng.pdf
The ability of hydrodynamic models to inform decisions on the siting and management of aquaculture facilities in British Columbia
M.G.G Foreman, P.C. Chandler, D.J. Stucchi, K.A. Garver, M. Guo, J. Morrison, D. Tuele
Fig 14, p. 26; Fig. 18, p.32; Fig. 19, p. 35
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Formal comment on: Piscine reovirus: Genomic and molecular phylogenetic analysis from farmed and wild salmonids collected on the
Canada/US Pacific Coast

Molly J. T. Kibenge, Yingwei Wang, Alexandra Morton, Richard Routledge,Frederick S. B. Kibenge
logo.plos.95.png

Published: November 30, 2017
https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0188690
Miller KM, Günther OP, Li S, Kaukinen KH, Ming TJ (2017) Molecular indices of viral disease development in wild migrating salmon. Conserv Physiol 5(1): cox036; doi:10.1093/conphys/cox036.

p. 28:

Importantly, the diseases caused by these viruses [Viruses PMCv, PRv and Salmon alphavirus (Sav)], all of which cause inflammation of the heart, can affect swimming behavior, causing either lethargy or erratic swimming (McLoughlin et al., 2002; Kongtorp et al., 2004; Haugland et al., 2011), sub-lethal physiological impacts that may not be detrimental to farmed fish (i.e. a slow day on the farm) but carry significantly enhanced risk of predation in wild fish.

PRv has been associated both with HSMI in Atlantic salmon and jaundice syndrome-related diseases in Pacific salmon in Norway (Rainbow trout—Olsen et al., 2015) and Chile (Coho salmon—Godoy et al., 2016). While challenge studies with the North American strain of PRv (98% similar to strains in Norway) have not resulted in compelling evidence of disease (Garver et al., 2015, 2016), clearly both diseases described in farmed salmon in Norway and Chile do exist in association with PRv in BC (Di Cicco et al., 2017; Miller, unpublished data), and wild fish with the outward appearance of jaundice (yellowing of the belly and under the eye) have been observed.

The fact that this virus can be observed in both farm and wild settings, sometimes at modest to high loads, in the absence of histological presentation of disease, has caused some to question whether PRv can cause disease in wild fish (Garseth et al., 2013; Marty et al., 2015).

However, our analyses of farm audit salmon provided evidence that the VDD biomarkers were able to discriminate fish diagnosed with HSMI (Atlantic salmon) and jaundice (Pacific salmon), both associated with PRv, from viral negative fish and from fish diagnosed with bacterial or parasitic diseases. For many viruses, challenge studies have already demonstrated impacts on physiological performance, which as suggested previously, may enhance impacts of sub-lethal disease in wild fish.

Secondary impacts associated with enhanced predation risk may ensue if visual acuity, swim performance, and/or feeding and growth are affected (Miller et al., 2014). Impacts on swim performance have been demonstrated in association with disease from IHNv, ISAv, IPNv, VHSv (Meyers, 2006), PMCv (Haugland et al., 2011) and PRv (Kongtorp et al., 2004).

Impacts on feeding and growth, which may also have ramification on size-selective predation and energetic potential for predation escapement, have also been demonstrated for IPNv (Meyers, 2006), PRv (Kongtorp et al., 2004), SAv (McLoughlin et al., 1998) and VHSv (Baulaurier et al., 2012). Enhanced pathogenicity has been demonstrated for several viruses in association with elevated water temperatures (IHNv—La Patra et al., 1979, IPNv— Dobos and Roberts, 1983, VEN/ENV—Korsnes et al., 2005).

As a result, these viruses may show stronger impacts on both wild and farmed salmon in a warming climate.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This group of scientist has conveniently grouped in a variety of viruses that cause heart inflammation, included PVR, and then made a statement that all the viruses can cause issues with swimming performance. I do not see information where PRV NP is specifically found to have an effect on the swimming performance of pacific species of salmon.

This group of scientist has conveniently grouped in a variety of viruses that cause heart inflammation, included PVR, and then made a statement that all the viruses can cause issues with swimming performance. I do not see information where PRV NP is specifically found to have an effect on the swimming performance of pacific species of salmon.

This came directly from the Fisheries and Oceans report;

>”Association between PRV and HSMI
To date the disease HSMI always occurs in the presence of PRV. While there have been other agents in addition to PRV which have been found in fish with HSMI disease, researchers agree that PRV is one of the leading candidates to be a causative agent.”

and I have a very simple question
Can you tell me if Dr. Gary Marty, the Fish Farm pathologist, tests for HSMI on a regular basis and makes his findings public?

You seem to be well informed and readily share your observations and opinions, and reject those of others when they do not fall into the category of what you feel is acceptable, so one would think you would be happy to explain why DFO states there is a link between PRV and HSMI and clarify if Dr. Marty tests for HSMI.

I think you are referring to a paper different from the one you quoted from agentaqua. The paper in your post #741 is a hydrographic modelling exercise by CSAS. Interestingly, it does contain a Figure 21 on page 38 showing viral particle concentrations nine days after dispersal from the Browns Bay processing plant.

So we are told atlantic farmed in bc do not have diseases, but they do
We are told that the fish won't escape but they have
We are told the escaped fish won't survive but they are
We are told that fish farms have no effect on salmon but they do( video of atlantic either eating a salmon smolt or small herring)
Now we have processing plants pouring disease infected water into the ocean

How can anyone say this is ok?

Apparently "Big Brother" knows what's best for us...
That is shocking that they won't label it. If they have nothing to hide and they are so sure it's safe, what's the problem in labeling it so people have a choice in, and know what they are ingesting? Corporate and government profits over public awareness and choice. Just shows you just how out of touch and corrupt the government is with it's duty to be looking after the public it serves imo....
I imagine the pro FF guys are OK with this also... ? Or maybe not as it might be competing with Marine Harvest, Cooke, Cermaq and Grieg's diseased virus laden fish...

Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat
Pacific Region Science Response 2015/037

The USGS laboratory in Washington State surveyed returning adult Pacific salmonids in Washington and Alaska for PRV RNA. Samples were taken over a 2 year period and to date, 1,948 fish have been tested with plans to test an additional 300 fish to complete the study.

They have confirmed PRV RNA in Chinook and Coho Salmon from both Washington and Alaska. No Atlantic Salmon or other commercially cultured fish were tested for PRV by their laboratory (Dr. Maureen Purcell, Western Fisheries Research Center, US Geological Survey, Seattle, WA, pers. comm.).

Can you tell me if Dr. Gary Marty, the Fish Farm pathologist, tests for HSMI on a regular basis and makes his findings public?

Dr Gary Morty: “I diagnose inflammation in the heart and skeletal muscle when it occurs; however, I do not diagnose HSMI in these fish because the submitting veterinarians tell me that their fish do not have clinical signs consistent with HSMI. As a referral veterinarian I would need some very strong justification to diagnose a syndrome contrary to the information provided by my referring veterinarians.”

His referring veterinarians are employed by the fish farms. Fish farms have a vested interest in "not having" HSMI on the farms. So he doesn't diagnose or test for HSMI because the Fish Farm vets tell him they don't have it. He's doing a great job advocating for the resource and the people of BC. The guy is bought and paid for by the FF industry. I think the govt needs to check the Panama and Paradise papers to see if this guy has undeclared offshore accounts!

Yeah, to hell with following the precautionary principle... who needs that...?
Certainly our 5 different species of Pacific salmon don't.

But then again, who really cares how healthy their invasive farmed atlantic fish are or how many they can cram into an open net pen when the government is so generous with our taxpayer dollars and will bail these privately owned foreign companies out (to the tune of 94 million as of 2014) if they get sick anyways. Private profits and socialized public welfare and subsidies. What more could they ask for? Except for those concerned public citizens to look the other way.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/farms+netted+million+compensation+diseased+fish/9788388/story.html

Last edited:
So we are told atlantic farmed in bc do not have diseases, but they do
We are told that the fish won't escape but they have
We are told the escaped fish won't survive but they are
We are told that fish farms have no effect on salmon but they do( video of atlantic either eating a salmon smolt or small herring)
Now we have processing plants pouring disease infected water into the ocean

How can anyone say this is ok?

That is an excellent summary....

More conflicting statements from Dr. Gary Marty, the Fish Farm’s very own pathologist.
Me thinks that Fish Farms need to be open and truthful.
There is plenty of evidence that they are anything but!

Aug. 2014
Tag Archives: Gary Marty (stated)
"It was alleged by Morton that PRV was very recently introduced to B.C. by the salmon farming industry, and that the virus was the causative agent of heart and skeletal muscle inflammation (HSMI). Despite extensive testing, HSMI has not been found in any fish (farm-raised or wild-caught) in the Pacific Northwest."

Dec. 3, 2017
Fish Farm pathologist Dr. Gary Marty stated;
"HSMI the disease that makes fish lethargic has killed only one to three in every thousand farmed fish since 2006”

AND then as California posted earlier
Dr Gary Marty: “I diagnose inflammation in the heart and skeletal muscle when it occurs; however, I do not diagnose HSMI in these fish because the submitting veterinarians tell me that their fish do not have clinical signs consistent with HSMI. As a referral veterinarian I would need some very strong justification to diagnose a syndrome contrary to the information provided by my referring veterinarians.”

Last edited:
Lmao...... This site just keep giving. Now there conspiring to hide ****. Ah.....

Sure your not talking about Gary Marty? or underwater blood, virus, and pathogen carrying sewage effluent pipes?

Lmao...... This site just keep giving. Now there conspiring to hide ****. Ah.....

No need to conspire Bones.
I am simply posting conflicting statements made by your own Fish Farm pathologist Dr. Gary Marty
Can you explain how and why he makes these conflicting statements?
Do you question their validity?
Your earlier post is over two years old and no one disputes it but...
It has nothing to do with the fact that Fish Farms avoid at all costs the reality that PRV and HSMI exists in there open net-pen Fish Farms and the HSMI virus presents a very real and undisputed threat to wild salmon!

Sure your not talking about Gary Marty? or underwater blood, virus, and pathogen carrying sewage effluent pipes?
Mmmmm, how many sites did it take Morton to visit. Before she had enough evidence to make her last video?....... I'd heard 15.

Mmmmm, how many sites did it take Morton to visit. Before she had enough evidence to make her last video?....... I'd heard 15.

how many sites have prv? i heard all of them, and now rockfish also . invasive strain? i assume that too.

At least your admitting it is evidence. I heard only 2 visits. Any luck with the data on the increased sockeye returns over the last couple of decades at Chilliwack Lake you were telling us about?

Nice overview of fish farming in general, and the overall premise of the global need for aquaculture is not untrue, or even bad. However it doesn't mean every type of aquaculture is right for every location. In BC we also farm oysters, scallops, clams, even some geoducks which I don't think anyone objects to. There are lots of places suitable for farming Atlantic salmon (like in the Atlantic ocean, or places without native anadromous salmonidae populations ) , and even some now very large operations planned for inland non obvious places such as South Florida. This doesn't mean non-native farmed Atlantic Salmon and their diseases should be introduced into an environment already occupied by several native species of the family salmonidae. There are lots of other places it can be farmed, and easily shipped to BC for BC consumers who want to eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back