Questions on fishing BC

My fueled up hull weight is about 6500-7000 lbs. If I am hauling butt at full throttle, I burn 18.8 to 19 GPH and my speed is about 40MPH (Not sure what the KPH is) My RPM is at 5400. This is on a 2016 200HP Yamaha. I can maintain plane at a much lower speed which is what I SHOULD have stated. This is on a 2015 RH Boats 22 Pro Cuddy! It has the Alaska Bulkhead / enclosed cabin.

I can run my 28’ tinner with twin 150’s from Anacortes to Bamfield a bit cheaper than trailering up. The Ferry ride is the big equalizer.

My single Yamaha 150 on my 20' North River burns 6 gals an hour at 4200 rpm making 32 mph at about 4200 lbs loaded.

I thought those new 200 Yamaha 4 cyl.-4 stroke motors were supposed to give great fuel mileage.Doesn't sound like it unless you're running 2 of them,or something is wrong.

My flat out top speed when trimmed is about 38MPH (61KPH). While I am burning about 18-19GPH, I rarely push the throttles all the way up. When I throttle back, it definitely makes a difference. I've not had the new boat up to Neah Bay or Sekiu yet no not sure how long it would take to run across the straight. I'm sure that if I were to be conservative, I could probably do it in an hour or so. Then of course, head further north. Seems there is a large fuel disparity between the 150HP and the 200HP although there seems to be about a 1500 to 2000lb weight difference between Schoony's boat and mine. Speed to me is not that important especially if I am on a long haul. My tank holds 80 US Gallons

If you're only hitting 5400 rpm at full pop sounds like you may be over propped. My 22' raider is pretty comparable to your boat, full pilothouse etc, weighs probably at least 1500lb less though so not sure how your boat weighs so much?

Last edited:
Seems like the weight along with the hull design has a great deal to do with the fuel burn. This is obvious but the extent is greater than expected. The RH Boat is extremely stable on plane and trolling. I will try to find a weigh station to get an exact loaded weight. Also, when trimmed, my tabs are barley extended. In other words, they are now protruding to induce excess parasitic drag.

It seems to me this should go under the General Open Forum or Boats and Motors and a new headline would be helpful

Once you look at the cost of the ferry fare for truck and trailer, the fuel burn might not seem like that big of a deal.

+1

Also, if you didn't kick the snot out of them in MA13 this year, then something was seriously wrong with your approach, and you'll have a hard time finding more consistent fishing than that in BC!

fb

I spent most of my time in 11 as we launch at Point Defiance. It is an easy spot to load active duty and veterans. I went into 13 a few times and tried jigging, trolling etc in the “go to” spots but it was always slow. Never saw a boat knocking the snot out if anything but it seems that jigging worked better down there. Always did well at Neah or Sekiu. Cheers. www.boatingforheroes.org.

Run from Port Angeles to Sooke or Victoria takes me about 20-30 minutes in decent water conditions in a 22ft hewescraft ocean pro hard top with 200 Yamaha. Plenty of good halibut and salmon fishing, Just look for the boats and start fishing.

Thanks PAGUY. Sounds like your boat is about the same caliber as mine. I also run a 200HP Yammy. I assume you can get licenses in both those places?

If running Neah Bay -> Barkley Sound:

Cape Beale is usually bumpy - stay at least 1 mile offshore

Swiftsure can be BAD - avoid the outgoing tide; swells will be WAY bigger than the La Perouse buoy says.

Thanks PAGUY. Sounds like your boat is about the same caliber as mine. I also run a 200HP Yammy. I assume you can get licenses in both those places?
Just buy your Canadian license on line and go fishing, Don't forget to buy the salmon enhancement if you plan on salmon fishing.

Back