Sockeye dummy flashers

persistent

When fishing sockeye do you find some colors of dummy flashers work better than others? Also what line do you use to make up the leader on the dummy? In the past I've used braided downrigger line. I hope there is a sockeye fishery in the inlet next year, as i missed it this summer.

red kone zone off the ball for me
Kone Zone for sure. I do a chartreuse on one side and a red on the other (probably because that just happens to be all I own). Then rod, dummy and rod again. Flashers on everything. Pacific Angler was selling pre-rigged dummies the last big run year for cheap so I stocked up. Otherwise I use 80 lb. Mono and crimps for making dummies, clip repairs and spreader bars.

Hey Persistant,
As Reeltime said, I do tie them in tandem, about three or four feet apart.
So, off the ball or just above, six to eight feet back, two in tandem, about ten feet above, another two in tandem, above that at least ten feet and eight feet back...... The real deal, flasher and mini hootch, another ten feet up another set of flasher and hootch. I try to run all Red theme, but yes I to will use green or chartreuse from time to time. Use at least fourty pound or heavier cheap mono....... Doesn't tangle and knot as bad as braid. Word of caution...... Never stop with all that stuff down there lol. And let it down SLOWLY ....... you will see why, it only takes a couple of blunders and ya get it haha. Good luck out there fellas.

Great to see off season posts , go get EM REELTIME

I have a red kone zone and found I get way more action on the other side where I just run a standard dummy flasher. Never really understood the red flaser thing, had much better luck with standard green flashers.

red kone zone off the ball for me

ditto. i see guys stacking dummy flashers every ten feet. seems like a nightmare to me. i use red kone zones attached to a trolling snubber then quick clipped right to the ball. it's short and doesn't mess up my main flasher four feet up the line.

I picked up all my sockeye gear this year in anticipation of next year. MB hoochies, Big butt hooks, and dummy flashers. In 2014 guys were going into shops and buying up everything, so its best to buy now if you don't have gear.

I just copy what Bon Chovy does and it works great. The biggest thing is to find the schools. Tangles happen it's just part of the game! Don't have to use a net just do what the commercial guys do and flip them in the boat. Keep pressure on at all time. Don't play em just haul them to the boat. You will loose less this way but still will loose 1/3.

http://bonchovy.com/site/fishingreports/1408717577.html

http://bonchovy.com/site/fishingreports/1408717577.html

I usually do the stacking thing. One off the ball and two more at 8-10 foot intervals. some are red some are purple haze, some green/silver but all of my dummies are the smaller 8" flashers. I use 50 lb test crimped on to scotty clips.

No dummys for me just fish 5 lines, 2 stacked on the outside riggers and one off the back. I run the stacked ones 20ft apart at the clip. So one rigger could be 30 and 50ft the other outside rigger 40 and 60 ft and the middle 70 ft. Always fish the exact same colour flashers and squrts on all 5. Looking forward to an opening in 2018 and getting to dust off the gear finally.

I think I shared a pic of my sockeye flashers a few years ago, exact same as above. Look like ocean bright sockeye and reason I use them. You make your own small school of fish that attract them in. I use similar squirts but prefer the ones with glow white head section to those without.

the more flashers the better. Get the fish on your gear and get them to follow. I used to do the 8-10 ft spacing but then |I got to 3-4' spacing on the dummies and put the gear in tighter than I ever have.

While the choice of hoochie is important, any one with the glow head tends to work best locally off the Fraser. The MGB183GH or MGB192GH works great. The blue glow heads are great too. Hooks 9510 in 5/0 work really well. I experimented and put spoons down and they worked great too....I found the closer you can get your gear without tangling in a sport situation makes a BIG difference---when there are more fish around what you are using doesn't matter.

I found my best success came when I had 5-6 flashers per downrigger (including lures)....hauling then in faster than I could get the down

I think I'm going to try dangling cannons from my bow rails with more flashers next year :p
Seriously though...

Back