2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Took a buddy out Monday morning for a couple hours for his birthday and first time ever ocean fishing. We found some coho on the way out to the yellow can. All of our bites came deep at about 100' on riggers. 3" herring spoons were getting the most hookups. 4 fish in 2 hours on the flood.
Hi I am hoping to take my son out Friday and having been a flats /gap/trial fisher I am embarrassed that I am not sure where the yellow and green cans are?

approx 5 miles west of Oak bay to Victoria , yellow is the quarantine buoy off shore
green marker buoy is just west of the harbor entrance

The green can is west of the breakwater near McCauley point. The yellow can is around 2 miles south of Brotchie Ledge.

Thanks Kayladog and Scott my son and I have moved our fishing day to Monday and would rather not go to Sooke on a holiday. Am I correct that in area 19 we can keep 2 coho 1 can be wild each? A long time ago I would head out from flar
ts/trial until I caught a Coho would that still work or should I fish near the yellow and green cans?
Tom

Yes, 2 coho and 1 can be wild.
I would try heading out to the tide lines past Trial
look for birds and zig zag until you find fish.

Last edited:
Yes, 2 coho and 1 can be wild.
I would try heading out to the tide lines past Trial
look for birds and zig zag until you find fish.
Thanks Scott we almost got there we lost main power at Oakbay Beach Hotel and the kicker wouldn't start lost the Anchor at the golf course point did some unsuccessful jigging before ground fish restricted area and made it to the Trial island light house before being taken in tow by Oak Bay SAR who were wonderful. We are fortunate to have them and our coast guard was fantastic in arranging and monitoring our rescue.

Was out this aft-eve off the waterfront, marked lots of bait and fish but no bites. Was another august like day with sun and flat water. Only 2 keeper crabs.

Spent a few hrs off the waterfront on Tuesday afternoon. I sent down a variety of spoons, a hoochie which got a hit, and some anchovies in different teaser heads. All this on a beauty day of calm water and sunny skies. Only 2 other boats of which a similar result of marking bait and fish with no bites. Saw a couple boats in from Constance Bank with some smaller feeders. My crab pot had 23 in it, 1 female, a handful of smalls but 10 of keeper size of which I kept 2 nice hard ones that were full of meat and very tasty. I'll be looking for another nice day to float my boat.

It was so nice out yesterday that I decided to try Constance after work. Fished from 4-6pm and caught two nice winter springs around 5-6lbs. Two other boats out there - one was jigging and seemed to have quite a few fish on. Lots of feeders showing just off the bottom in 70-90' of water. great evening on the water :)

Lots of small springs and tiny coho on the bank. The springs are not more than 20" but I saw some people keeping them. We left after a while to leave them alone. Felt like late Aug but without decent fish.

Lots of small springs and tiny coho on the bank. The springs are not more than 20" but I saw some people keeping them. We left after a while to leave them alone. Felt like late Aug but without decent fish.

Constance Bank was closed years ago as it was considered a nursery area for salmon, Spring salmon in particular, much like Swiftsure Bank
Constance Bank is a nursery area in the fall and winter and while bigger springs can be found, usually in the Fall and Winter when you find Springs in big numbers, they are under 5 pounds with only the occasional larger ones. For the most part, the smaller ones are gone by March 1 or so.
There are always exceptions, however we have found this to be generally the case.

Last edited:
Got out for the first time in a few weeks on Friday afternoon for a couple hours off Esquimalt while the crab trap soaked. There were tons of birds feasting on 6" herring and evidently salmon too. Released a couple of 4-5lb chinook on bottom and released a 8-9lb female wild coho (figured she was heading into the gorge).

Also, I got a letter back from the salmon head recovery program today with positive matches on 2 heads I put in from Macaulay Point (2012 brood), August 17, and Clover Point (2013 brood) September 4th....both high teen chinook and both from the Robertson Creek Hatchery apparently.

Got out for the first time in a few weeks on Friday afternoon for a couple hours off Esquimalt while the crab trap soaked. There were tons of birds feasting on 6" herring and evidently salmon too. Released a couple of 4-5lb chinook on bottom and released a 8-9lb female wild coho (figured she was heading into the gorge).

Also, I got a letter back from the salmon head recovery program today with positive matches on 2 heads I put in from Macaulay Point (2012 brood), August 17, and Clover Point (2013 brood) September 4th....both high teen chinook and both from the Robertson Creek Hatchery apparently.

Is it odd that those fish would end up in the Victoria area? Or maybe they came down the inside...

Is it odd that those fish would end up in the Victoria area? Or maybe they came down the inside...
I was surprised, especially with both being from the same place, but different brood years, and caught almost 3 weeks apart. After talking to some folks it doesn't sound uncommon and the data analysis in the letter said the same thing.

People talk about fish traveling into the strait on the big floods....but these ones would have been eventually heading out the strait on the big ebbs.

Out today from 12-4, stayed between Brotchie and Clover Pt until the wind died down enough to head out to Constance at 2. Not a bite out front but at Constance had about 6 hookups. Kept 2 that were legal size, rest got off or were undersize.

What strikes me is that the one is a 5 year old and should be 40# plus. Seems to confirm that they are not doing well out there right now.

What strikes me is that the one is a 5 year old and should be 40# plus. Seems to confirm that they are not doing well out there right now.
I think you have to consider the genes involved. Unless they're selecting for large fish at the hatchery, you'll get a mix across the population that corresponds to the contributing parents' sizes. A few years back, it appears, such an approach was taken on the inside - Quinsam? I don't know details, sorry - and this year they had the best results in a long time at the Tyee Club: 44 tyee when I checked last. Coincidence?

That said, I have no knowledge of feed abundance "out there", and it is quite likely a factor.

Back