Aluminum boat drain plug

Deejray

Tried looking for information on an older post but found nothing.
Just read a thread on a down south forum where an aluminum boat sank due to a corroded plug that fell out.
Got me thinking, I am going to possibly be mooring my aluminum in salt next season and don't want to fall victim to something like that. I presently have a threaded stainless plug which is only ever plugged in when I'm in the water. (yes teflon tape is applied each time and cleaned off after each use) I guess my question is whether the stainless plug (which came from the manufacturer, bought the boat new) is safe for continued use or if I should be using an aluminum or teflon plug. I do understand galvanic reaction. :) Thanks!

What about using a plastic plug

My 27 year old pod has aluminum drain plugs in it. I'd say that aluminum plugs are a safe bet.

SteelyDan, are yours the hex head socket style plugs? I was looking for the square head style but haven't been able to find any. Teflon seemed to be too soft and easy to cross thread if a helpful buddy tried to put it in. Either way I'm thinking aluminum makes the most logical sense.... Thanks!

Square head. I've only owned it not even a year so no idea where to get them other than Armstrong brackets

Never even thought about the pod after reading all this about corroding with dissimilar metals. Was more thinking Aluminium hulls. Will be following and learning more about.

I have an 18' aluminum center console which has 3 drain plugs. the main one in the center bottom of transom is aluminum and I use teflon tape on it. the other 2 on either side are the rubber plugs with the t tightener. I have moored my boat for a few seasons over the years and never had issues. I always carry spares of both plugs but have never had to use them other than replacing the cheap rubber plugs every couple of years. just make sure you have good zincs. I would definitely switch to an aluminum plug if you can find one. martin marine in nvan may have them or maybe bridgeview marine in your neck of the woods,they sell lots of aluminum boats. they would at least know where to get them

My armstrong pod on the grady is Aluminum and uses Plastic plugs, I had to purchase some and got them from Taylor Marine

I moor my boat a month at a time, but during that time, I use a rubber plug with a stainless core. It's a compression type plug. The stainless rod compresses the rubber which in turn pushes tightly against the walls of the drain tube. Works great, no galvanic reactions.

the holes for my 2 drains using the compressed rubber plugs are not threaded, these plugs work great here, my third plug is threaded obviously as it uses the aluminum plug. if his hole is threaded, which I assume it is I'm not sure if the compressed rubber would work as well, I assume they would be ok but not 100% sure.

Back