2017 Tuna Adventures

The thread went sideways... Some did not enter due to slow fishing, some think the Shootout is a traditional "derby" so don't want to support it, some just didn't enter because it logistically didn't make sense for their program. If guys don't want to enter that's totally their call and I'm sure guys from the derby will be using their info one year. Getting worked up about it and holding back info won't help anyone.

Hopefully next year we will see a few more of the regulars! It was great to see most. At the end of the day it's good for the town, helps us all find more fish and is a fun week with prizes that exceed the buy in. My highlight was working a school with Tuna 101. We would take turns going back and forth over the school and each time we would drop a bunch of anchovies so that the school would stay for the next guys pass. That's what the Shootout is all about. Hopefully next year fishing is hot for everyone and the fishery/derby continues to grow.

Sirene, yes those underwaters were just on a GoPro. That clear water makes it pretty easy to get good shots. I'm kicking myself for being lazy and not taking many pics.

Unfortunately the commercials aren't very happy with us out there for a number of reasons. Best thing is just to give them space to work. That said, we had a few come start working schools we were on top of so at that point, they have to get in the mix.

Last edited:
I go through this every year with them. We leave them on ice for 2 days guts in. They will not take them if they are gutted or cut up in any way. They don't want blood touching the meat. Whole with guts in and cold cold cold. Every time the manager comes out and feels the tail stem to make sure they are cold enough.

They really need to fix their program and make things clear for us. On their website, they advertise that they will accept tuna headed and gutted. They actually don't say anywhere it has to be flash frozen.

We gutted and headed them then flash froze them before bringing in. They had no problems with that. I would much prefer to leave them whole for the reasons you mentioned, plus it saves time. However they don't adjust the rates for whole fish so I saved a ton of money by bringing in headed and gutted fish. Our bill still worked out to around $1500-$1600...

They really need to fix their program and make things clear for us. On their website, they advertise that they will accept tuna headed and gutted. They actually don't say anywhere it has to be flash frozen.

We gutted and headed them then flash froze them before bringing in. They had no problems with that. I would much prefer to leave them whole for the reasons you mentioned, plus it saves time. However they don't adjust the rates for whole fish so I saved a ton of money by bringing in headed and gutted fish. Our bill still worked out to around $1500-$1600...

I agree that they need to make it clearer. Seems like different stories all the time. We tried taking in headed and gutted one year and they turned us down. That's why we always go whole. Hopefully they get it straight and clear soon. Regardless of how they will or won't take them the big thing is getting them cooled down fast and keeping them cold.

I go through this every year with them. We leave them on ice for 2 days guts in. They will not take them if they are gutted or cut up in any way. They don't want blood touching the meat. Whole with guts in and cold cold cold. Every time the manager comes out and feels the tail stem to make sure they are cold enough.
Thanks Sculpin, I went through the same "process " this morning and glad we could share that :)
Rob/SireneII

You invented tuna fishing. Congrats
One of the earliest people to start sport fishing Tuna in this area to my knowledge is Walter Schoenfelder. He owns Quatsino Lodge and started sportfishing Tuna over 16 years ago. He is beyond passionate about fishing. He guides all summer at which point most people get worn down. For his days off he goes fishing, and for his special birthdays he goes fishing. Walt is kind of legendary in my eyes, especially with Sport Tuna.
I agree that they need to make it clearer. Seems like different stories all the time. We tried taking in headed and gutted one year and they turned us down. That's why we always go whole. Hopefully they get it straight and clear soon. Regardless of how they will or won't take them the big thing is getting them cooled down fast and keeping them cold.
I also spike them immediately as most people probably already know it lowers the histamine levels which is what concerns St. Jeans. just thought I would mention it

Last edited:
Your bill is so high because you catch so many fish haha, big smile

Was awesome to see everyone getting in on the action with big fish out there on Friday. Not sure who this Hawkins guy is and I don't know why he's trolling you guys but the numbers we got last week were shared freely with all sporties and commies and it's all good, there was plenty of fish to go around.

Hope to see everyone back at the Shootout next year and hopefully some new faces! It was a lot of fun!

Just took my Tuna to St Jeans and at first they would not take them because they were not flash frozen and or gutted. After some discussion we found that if the Tuna were caught greater that 24 or 48 hours but less than tree days in slush they would take them and they did. They are concerned about histamine levels. Normally I process them myself and this is the first time I took them to St. Jeanes. I also told them that spiking them was important to reduce histamine and that they were bled at sea. Some information that might prove helpful for some like me that do not have the time to process them. Got to go to work soon on 3 hours sleep.

I'll talk to Lance and get him to write a paper up for us

I wanted to give a thanks to all those you have come before me in this fisheries. A buddy and I got out Friday and put blood on the deck!!! It was my second time out and first in my own boat. We could not have had such a great day out there without the help of all of you!!! Many thanks from a huge fan. Hope to see you out there again soon.

Way too much drama..........

Anyways, the weather is looking good for next weekend. Could change any day but I am watching it closely. Hoping to give it another whirl.
2 boats are sitting up there gassed up ready to go. Just have to grab ice :). Anyone else planning to head out on the weekend?
Hi Sculpin.... Smiley is planning on a Saturday run for long fins! I hope Tidal Chaos can make the run too!

Awesome... Looking forward to the outing ! We haven't decided on Bamfield or Ukee as our starting point yet but if the wx coops we are good to go!
As an side I would like to say Thank you to the people that took time and posted details of the derby weekend wrap up... prior commitments excluded me from attendance. The posts you put up made my weekend on land more tolerable! Sometimes living vicariously is the best one can manage... but not looking to make a habit of it! Lol

Who are you and who asked for your 2 cents worth?

I've been out there tuna fishing since 2009 and have always been liberal with information and locations.

That's the code out there.

Why should I enter some derby 2 hours away from where I live and be forced to fish in a specific time frame?

I have a charter business to run which is my priority and go tuna fishing when I have spare time and the conditions are right.
Hey FishT just ignore him he is probably a Habs fan anyways :)

Hope people are still going to go, it was just getting better and better every day until the end of the shootout. I bet you could slay tuna for a few more weeks if you get the weather windows to go

It's going to be Octuna for me this season, I won't be back on the island until the 28th hopefully some decent conditions the first week of October.

It's going to be Octuna for me this season, I won't be back on the island until the 28th hopefully some decent conditions the first week of October.

where are going to go out of? i am trying to get a crew for octuna.

Back