Tales From The Tyee Pool........2017...

Well here we go again with a Monday morning update that includes two new Tyee since my last visit plus another in what is becoming a much-too-long streak of lost fish stories.

But first, we have Mr. Eugene Titus, the second newest member of the Tyee Club as he registered a 30 pounder rowed by Ted Milbrandt two nights ago. It fell for a plug.

Eugene-Titus-new-member-30-lbs-Sep-9th-745-p.m.-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Ted-Milbrandt-300x225.jpg

Well done men.

I don't have a pic of the latest new member of the Tyee Club but his name is Ed Painter and he was rowed to a 34 pounder this morning by his dear old Dad, Joe Painter.

Here's the pic.

DSCF0430-Edward-Joe-300x290.jpg

Apparently Joe is able to simply go out any morning he wants, catch a Tyee and then go home. Simple as that. He's done that three times so far this season and I'm jealous as can be.

I was surprised that this was Ed's first ever Tyee and I was told he'd tried off and on for 45 years before finally getting one.

As for my continuing failures, well we can rack up another one from last night.

I had Sharon out with me again, a gal I've rowed a half dozen times previously with nothing but a Cabezon to show for our efforts, so she was due.

I used my new to me Rex Field Shovel-nose plug again and fished it the same way as when Dano and I hooked up three nights ago, and by golly we hooked up last night, along with several others as there was a decent little "bite" happening.

Although she fumbled a bit on the strike we managed to tow it outside where it ran around quite powerfully for five minutes or so and wouldn't come anywhere near us, despite Sharon's urgings.

We managed to get a good position on the fish and I kept rowing us away from it as it pulled line off despite many muttered urgings from Sharon to come back here and get in the net.

Everything was going along quite nicely when the fish made a run and then jumped, not a big high jump but more of a ponderous heaving of itself out of the water, enough so that we both saw the length and size of the fish, albeit from 50' away or so. It looked good, but then they all do at a distance.

And then the bent rod went straight and I knew the fish was free.

I might have said a bad word.

Again.

So there you have it.

Apparently I'm allowed to hook the odd fish this year but not allowed to actually boat any of them and then if we DO boat one it'll be a heart-breaking 29 pounds plus.

If I wasn't such a glutton for punishment I'd give up this folly and return to my previous life-style of dissipation and debauchery.

Or maybe take up Bass fishing. LOL

Take care.

Last edited:
Tuesday the 12th. and we have a couple more Tyee registered as well as yours truly recovering from being extremely mad at a dear friend.

I'll not share here why I was so mad but I will share the newest member of the Tyee Club and his nice 32 pounder.

Meet Dave Roemer, new member and Doug Ellis, his successful rower. The fish fell for a plug.

Dave-Roemer-new-member-32-lbs-Sep-11th-740-p.m.-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Doug-Ellis1-300x225.jpg

Not to be outdone, that Troy Perras guy rowed Larry Dougan to another Tyee that weighed 34 1/2 pounds. They used a spoon.

And here they are.

Larry-Dougan-34.5-lbs-Sep-11th-800-p.m.-on-a-spoon-rowed-by-Troy-Perras1-300x225.jpg

Nothing new this AM so far and but four nights left for me to row one up for somebody.

I'm way overdue and need to shake my bad ju ju or something.

Take care.

Nearly noon on Wednesday as I type away and we have one more Tyee registered and with a neat twist too.

Take a close look at this pic and particularly the rod.

Hard to tell but it's a split cane rod, hand-made by George Deagle, a master craftsman and rod-builder of no small renown.

I suspect it weighs little more than six ounces but can handle a Tyee salmon when wielded properly, as is demonstrated here.

Gary Soles wielded it just right last night and rower Steve Spiers handled the windy and unpleasant conditions perfectly with the result being Tyee #42 for the year.

Gary-Soles-31-lbs-Sep-12th-810-p.m.-on-a-spoon-rowed-by-Steve-Spiers-300x225.jpg

I joined the 20 or so rowers that didn't go out last night as it didn't look like much fun, but my hat's off to those who toughed it out.

Saw four or five hook-ups but only one Tyee.

Hopefully at it tonight regardless of the wind, within reason of course.

Take care.

Thursday morning and one more Tyee to add to the total.

Last night Ken Enns used his trusty spoon to entice a nice 32 pounder to strike while he rowed Doug Robinson and so now we have another new member of the Tyee Club.

This brings us to Tyee number 43 for the year and a great recovery from last year.

Here's the family portrait for your enjoyment.

Doug-Robinson-new-member-32-lbs-Sep-13th-810-p.m.-on-a-spoon-rowed-by-Ken-Enns-300x225.jpg

Only two nights left for me but I've always been a procrastinator so like to leave things to the end.

Or, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

Take care.

This is impressive for amount of tyees this year.

Aaaaargh!!!

43 is NOT an amount.

It's a number.

My pet peeve so sorry about picking on you.................................. but geeze one both hears and sees written that error all too often.

An amount is a gallon, a quart, a bushel or some such defined measure.

A number is always a number.

A number is never an amount.

Amounts can be numbered though, as in we used 40 gallons of gas last week, or the like.

Couple of weeks ago in our local paper the headline blared about the school district having hired the proper "amount" of staff this year when in fact they had hired 30 new teachers.

30 is a number, not an amount.

Doubly ironic in that it was in a newspaper where one hopes the reporters/writers are at least semi-literate plus the article was about teachers and education, something I wonder about these days even though I've never had kids in the system.

We'll try to increase the number of Tyee caught this year when we go out again tonight.

Hoping for another hook-up or two.

Take care.

Friday and the last day for Tyee fishing this year with a new number of Tyee to report too.

Last night ended up being a gorgeous evening with but a few fish hooked, but one was a Tyee and we have another new member of the Tyee Club.

Meet Joe Boutilier and his trusty rower, the ever-youthful Doug Ellis. Their fish took a plug and weighed 34 pounds.

Joe-Boutilier-new-member-34-lbs-Sep-14th-740-p.m.-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Doug-Ellis-300x225.jpg

So now we have 44 Tyee registered for the year plus whatever may turn up tonight.

Not a bad number at all.

Take care.

Go get 'em Dave! Been enjoying the "Tales" this year as always, more suspense and entertainment than anything on TV. I have a feeling your number is up tonight as you have definitely paid your dues with the ups and downs this season.

Good luck and tight lines!

Many rod holders have been lucky to catch a great fish this year. However, it's the great reports Dave posts that keep all of us dreamers coming back. It's going to be a long winter waiting for the wonderful stories that will come in the future.
Keep up the great work Dave. Good luck out there tonight.
Sometimes fish win.
Stosh

Likewise Dave.Thanks for the great stories this season and seasons past.I know we all a appreciate the time you put into this thread every summer.Thank you kind sir!

It always seem so sudden when it's over, like how did it end so fast?

But it is over for this year and what a nice recovery from last year it was.

Couple of interesting tid-bits to ponder start with the fact that the Catch Record Board has only 44 spaces on it, and that's the total number of Tyee registered this year.

I know Bob the Weighmaster really wanted to start a second board but alas, it was not to be as my cleverly thought out plan to leave everything to the last day somehow didn't come to fruition so I didn't row either of my lovely rod-holders to a last minute Tyee like I was supposed to. Nobody else rowed one last night either.

I did manage a good one-liner regarding my rod-holders as I told Bob Main that both of them had hooked a fish with me this year so I wanted to end the season with a couple of experienced hookers in my boat.

Fortunately everyone laughed and neither of the gals kicked me so all's well.

You'll recall Bob came ounces short of scoring the Daily Double earlier this season before declaring me a jinx in the pool.

Should note that of the 44 Tyee registered this year 21 were by anglers who became new members, so one needn't be an old pro to catch one.

The Tyee Man of the year is a woman, Terri Sambrook, who registered the only Tyee over 40 pounds this year, a 40 1/2 pounder that fell for a plug. Her rower was Mark Thulin and the fish hit at first light on the 18th. of August.

Well done indeed.

By now it's clear that I failed again to row anyone into the Tyee Club, but gee I had fun what with the weird hook-ups, crazy jumping Chinook, near misses (29 3/4 lbs.), fish lost after a 20 minute fight and meeting a few new people it was all good.

I held a rod once myself and had a good whack but didn't hook-up, I didn't get up and fish a single morning this year and but one mid-day trip so all six hook-ups came during the evening tide.

Last year I was three fish boated for four strikes and this year I was one fish boated for six strikes.

Sad!

Last evening had a number of boats all decorated up but the winner for sure was this one. I actually have no idea who this is but they did it up right and I'll find out who they are soon.

Check them out.

RSCN5120.JPG

Let me end with thanks to all my rod-holders during the season, particularly those who have persevered and tried annually for five or six years now without even a strike to show for it.
I appreciate you all and always wish I could get each of you a Tyee every time out, but it doesn't work like that it seems, unless you're Joe Painter of course. LOL

And thanks for the kind comments from so many of you. I like doing this every year (obviously) and I appreciate that others enjoy it too.

Perhaps the last interesting bit for this season is that one of the top guns in the pool and the hardest working guy by far didn't get a Tyee this year despite trying as hard as ever.

It's a capricious fishery I tell you, capricious as can be.

Take care.

Great thread again this year Dave, thanks for taking the time to bring us along for the "Tales from the pool". :cool::cool::cool:

Well done Dave, it is always a highlight reading your posts. I want to thank you for rowing me this year and hope to get out next year with you.

Back