2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Any one been fishing the Gap or Flats of late. Or is everyone still heading to the waterfront? Just wondering how Sept has been for fishing in Oak Bay the last few Septembers. I usually am fishing out in Sooke this time of year. But my time frame on the weekends is getting shorter and shorter of a window and wanted to know if anyone is still working the flats.

So... who is still waiting for more fish to show at the waterfront? It seemed like it was hot there in the last couple weeks of August and now things have dropped off. Was it a flash in the pan this year or do you think more fish are due?

Tend to agree, spring fishing is generally winding down now. However, there could be the odd bigger beast out there. And I wouldn't rule out that some still migrate past the OB flats.

Fished 2 hours this morning, brotchie to clover and then out the the yellow can for a long slow tack back in with the current. Hooked 1 6 or 7 lb wild coho and released it. Birds were feeding on 3 fresh Halibut carcasses at James bay anglers ramp when we launched.

Went out off Mcaulay on the morning solnar bite feeling pretty confident with my recent success but wasn't rewarded with even a bite. Another beautiful calm warm day on the water chasing bait and trying to get the marked fish to bite on the variety of snacks we sent down. Fresh crab for dinner made the day. My good friend said to me last nite " so you can catch fish on a solnar bite but can you catch them off that bite." This is going to take more practice for me . Hehe.

Went out off Mcaulay on the morning solnar bite feeling pretty confident with my recent success but wasn't rewarded with even a bite. Another beautiful calm warm day on the water chasing bait and trying to get the marked fish to bite on the variety of snacks we sent down. Fresh crab for dinner made the day. My good friend said to me last nite " so you can catch fish on a solnar bite but can you catch them off that bite." This is going to take more practice for me . Hehe.

Are your you referring to the solunar bite theory?

Fished the waterfront from 1 to 6:30PM Released a small clipped spring at 3pm and landed a 14b wild at 5PM right off the bottom in 85ft of water. Green flasher and spoon. That was it for us, no other bites.

Fished the waterfront from 8 to 10 this morning and got a 7lb wild coho. Released it in good health. Out again from 2 to 4 with no results.

Attachments

• 20170913_085424.jpg
    20170913_085424.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 59
Fished the waterfront again today from 7 to 11am. Got another wild coho about 8lbs. That is 4 wilds in 4 days, where are the hatchery fish?
Wondering now if that was a pink with the spots on the tail? any thoughts.

Attachments

• 20170915_073810.jpg
    20170915_073810.jpg
    827.6 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Fished the waterfront again today from 7 to 11am. Got another wild coho about 8lbs. That is 4 wilds in 4 days, where are the hatchery fish?
Wondering now if that was a pink with the spots on the tail? any thoughts.

Sure looks like a pink with those tiny scales.

Pink for sure. 100% identity. Spots on the tail and look at all those sea lice. Thats a dead give away as well. Nice pink

Back