2017 Tuna Adventures

Derby took the lead. 33.5 and 31 lb hogs has him at a 117lb aggregate.

Chasing dreams, tell Brian that I say hi.
Thats what i want to hear maybe he might not forget me again this year and toss his poor ole buddy some fish :)

Derby is up to 123 lb for his 4 fish aggregate after a 32 lber hog today. Tough number to beat!

We had a 31.5 and 30.5 for a 117 lb aggregate. Good luck to everyone out tomorrow.

A porker 35 pounder today!!:) and a 32 and a couple others.

Special shout out to Tidal Chaos for all your help with getting me into the Tuna groove this year. Really enjoying this fishery and very happy I decided to check it out. You were right I love it!

We also got in the middle of a feeding frenzy of a super pod of white sided dolphins, Tuna, and Hump Backs. Crazy action we got on film. We broadcasted the gps numbers to the other guys so they could come see it too if they wanted to and hoped other guys would get into some more Tuna in the midst of the feeding frenzy. Biggest feeding frenzy I've seen. Was amazing to watch and video record. When I get some of the footage loaded up I'll post it up too.

42655.jpg

20170915_135604.jpg

20170915_164552.jpg

20170915_165335.jpg

A porker 35 pounder today!!:) and a 32 and a couple others.

Special shout out to Tidal Chaos for all your help with getting me into the Tuna groove this year. Really enjoying this fishery and very happy I decided to check it out. You were right I love it!

We also got in the middle of a feeding frenzy of a super pod of white sided dolphins, Tuna, and Hump Backs. Crazy action we got on film. We broadcasted the gps numbers to the other guys so they could come see it too if they wanted to and hoped other guys would get into some more Tuna in the midst of the feeding frenzy. Biggest feeding frenzy I've seen. Was amazing to watch and video record. When I get some of the footage loaded up I'll post it up too.

View attachment 35333

View attachment 35334

View attachment 35335

View attachment 35336

Good to finally meet you yesterday and glad you popped your tuna cherry with some pigs. The obsession will be In Your blood from this point forward.

Good to finally meet you yesterday and glad you popped your tuna cherry with some pigs. The obsession will be In Your blood from this point forward.
Was great to meet you and Sculpin and your other buddy yesterday. Yup, you're right, I'm hooked on the Tuna now. We are already talking about future Tuna plans lol. I tried calling you on the VHF a few times today but we must have been in different locations. We were on some good fishing. Was trying to get some gps #'s to you.

We got 11 in the boat today and lost quite a few. We had a triple and a couple double headers. Hard to get a triple in with only two guys and 6 lines out lol but we tried anyway. The third one came unbuttoned.
And we got some more big pigs today :) For our three days we ended up with three 35's, a 33, two 32's, a 32.5, a bunch between weighing between 28-30 and then some smaller ones for a total of 17 Tuna. Today was a great day. We slept in a bit and headed out into the heavy fog and started fishing down the far west end of the Barkley canyon. We had a blue shark at our boat that we thought was trying to get our Tuna we had on at one point.
We stuck around till dark and got into the marina at just after 10 PM. Lot's of jumpers today and Tuna chasing bait around. Was a great trip and can't wait for the next one!!

20170916_164346.jpg
20170916_153000.jpg

20170916_185555.jpg 20170916_173317.jpg

20170916_185610.jpg

Was great to meet you and Sculpin and your other buddy yesterday. Yup, you're right, I'm hooked on the Tuna now. We are already talking about future Tuna plans lol. I tried calling you on the VHF a few times today but we must have been in different locations. We were on some good fishing. Was trying to get some gps #'s to you.

We got 11 in the boat today and lost quite a few. We had a triple and a couple double headers. Hard to get a triple in with only two guys and 6 lines out lol but we tried anyway. The third one came unbuttoned.
And we got some more big pigs today :) For our three days we ended up with three 35's, a 33, two 32's, a 32.5, a bunch between weighing between 28-30 and then some smaller ones for a total of 17 Tuna. Today was a great day. We slept in a bit and headed out into the heavy fog and started fishing down the far west end of the Barkley canyon. We had a blue shark at our boat that we thought was trying to get our Tuna we had on at one point.
We stuck around till dark and got into the marina at just after 10 PM. Lot's of jumpers today and Tuna chasing bait around. Was a great trip and can't wait for the next one!!

View attachment 35358
View attachment 35359

View attachment 35361 View attachment 35360

View attachment 35362

And yet i tried to get you numbers off you and you said you were by the trollers. There were around 20 when you scanned the horizon so that didn't help much

And yet i tried to get you numbers off you and you said you were by the trollers. There were around 20 when you scanned the horizon so that didn't help much
Ya Shawn the trollers were all working the same area. The whole area there that I broadcasted the numbers for was the warm water break line we were all working. It spanned about a 3 mile line we were running.

Guess we were 3 miles from the fish then. The trollers around us weren't hauling them in

@Chasin Dreams. Nice meeting you at the fuel dock. Nice rig btw. Congrats to you and your crew for one hell of a cherry popping. You guys did well. Tidal Chaos and myself didn't fish yesterday. Thats why you couldn't get him on the radio. We went 1 for 2 on Friday and were right in the mix with everyone. Guess the Sculpin wasn't sexy enough for them that day lol :p. That's fishing:).

My engine was missing intermittently all day Friday. Probably a coil or reed (Opti). We took her to RPM in Tofino for a go over and it was time for a service anyway. Watching the weather closely for the next shot at them. Boats are up there ready to go!

@Chasin Dreams. Nice meeting you at the fuel dock. Nice rig btw. Congrats to you and your crew for one hell of a cherry popping. You guys did well. Tidal Chaos and myself didn't fish yesterday. Thats why you couldn't get him on the radio. We went 1 for 2 on Friday and were right in the mix with everyone. Guess the Sculpin wasn't sexy enough for them that day lol :p. That's fishing:).

My engine was missing intermittently all day Friday. Probably a coil or reed (Opti). We took her to RPM in Tofino for a go over and it was time for a service anyway. Watching the weather closely for the next shot at them. Boats are up there ready to go!
Thanks man ya it was a great cherry poppin lol. If the fish stick around I may be back for some more fun! Pretty costly for us to come out though with the damn ferry costing so much but I'll get three guys next time to split costs more.

Sorry to hear about your motor. Hopefully nothing too serious. Rose and Stephan at RPM have always been great to me there and very nice folks.

Thanks man ya it was a great cherry poppin lol. If the fish stick around I may be back for some more fun! Pretty costly for us to come out though with the damn ferry costing so much but I'll get three guys next time to split costs more.

Sorry to hear about your motor. Hopefully nothing too serious. Rose and Stephan at RPM have always been great to me there and very nice folks.

I hear you. That's why I deal with them :).

image1-2.JPG image2.JPG image1.JPG What a shitshow of an adventure. I was planning to head out for three days to chase Tuna off of Bamfield and looked forward to meeting many of you on this trip. My good friend Thomas was going to bring his boat out as well but he had to be on call. Read dedicated dentist. Sorry he was nat able to come out. My brother and I got out on Thursday and were 10 miles from Nitnat Canyon when the lower gear case of my left motor calved clanking and banging. Fack. So we limped back to Port Alberni taking 7 house and I thought the trip was done. I did call the men at Port Alberni Boathouse, a Yamaha dealer for a hail mail repair on a catastrophic failure maybe hoping to bum a spare motor. Those guys are amazing. They took the serial number of my motor and scavenged around to find a lower gear case, left hand no less and took it off another motor. First thing next morning the entire crew was working on it. I have never seen that kind of service in my life. They got me back on the water and I also bought the new saltwater 2 props with the sds hubs which improved my boats performance. I want to recommend them to anyone needing some engine help in Port Alberni, they were awesome.
We got back on the water Friday afternoon and decided to run out to the fishing grounds at the 1,000 fathom line off of Ucluelet. We got there late but had already decided we would stay out offshore overnight to maximize the now only one day we had to catch Tuna. This was the first time I stayed out overnight on the open ocean but the weather report I had looked good. Well it wasn't. I deployed my sea anchor but unknown to be it became fouled and we spent the night broadside to the waves. It was a rough night and every so often some of the waves weakly hit us hard, especially when you can't see them coming and are trying to sleep. PS the sea anchor I have is too small. It was an erie night watching boats with their mast lights on off the big ships glowing in the fog. I was up every hour checking on the boat etc.
Next day we were fishing as the sun started to rise. I started jigging without success. Rumour has it that sometimes the tuna come under a boat overnight because they are curious. The day progressed and needless to say we got into the fish just like all of you. And yes they were big. I have never seen albacore that size and when they get over thirty pounds they get freckles. We ended up with 8 large albacore on board which was more enough to meet our needs for the year. We came back to Ucluelet through some fog and after sunset. What a epic day. We trolled home but found that after crossing the 1,000 fathom line there was no action. The magic, including jumpers, was beyond that line. I did meet Chasing dreams at the boat basin who was very thrilled with his fishing adventure. He had a hard time walking cause I think he had a boner from his tuna success, just kidding haha.
I also met Terry from Tykiti blue when I was coming back with my broken motor. Sorry I was brief and did not talk much as I was not particularly happy at that time.
Wis hing you all the best and look forward to meeting more of you on the water in the future
Rob/SireneII
image1.JPG image1.JPG image2.JPG image1-2.JPG

One more note, I just dropped my brother off at the Nanaimo airport with two nice fish nicely packed. Air Canada are such *****. He was travelling business class and was 7 pounds overweight so I had to remove some indian candy I packed for him. They reweighed and it was still 1.5 pounds over the 72 limit so they would not take the fish. The only choice I had was to remove the head of the fish. I of course did not have a knife so I uses the plastic end of an windshield ice scraper I had in my truck outside the terminal. I was not particularly easy but I got the head off and tossed it into the garbage can. I hope it stinks for them. oh yeah, remember to always carry a knife if you go to the airport. haha
I travelled from Mexico with tuna before making flight connections with Alaska airlines with no problems but when we changed to Air Canada for the short 15 minute flight from Vancouver to nanaimo they did the same thing and made us cut up tuna in the airport to make their weight restrictions. I guess they just don't hire fishermen at Air Canada

Last edited:
Back