2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Tried for Hali today. Started at 7 and nailed one at 9. Biggest fight I've ever seen. It took my buddy 20 minutes to reel up 350ft of line. I hit it with my new Peetz dart and it went nuts. It went straight down with 25 ft of rope and the float attached. It stripped off another 100+ feet of line and took another 10 minutes before the float popped up. I gaffed it and it was 132cm and 72#.
We had another grab both rods at once but managed to get off. Perfect day on the water.

Attachments

• IMG_00000062.jpg
    IMG_00000062.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 138
Slow day for me on Sunday as well. One undersized spring, one 6lb hatch coho and one 8lb pink is all we had.

6 am til noon on the waterfront today without a nibble. I saw one net out the whole time. A lot fewer boats though. That was nice.

Tough slog today. No fish for us, I know of only one caught. Didn't see anybody catch anything.

I heard at the dock that a small boat went down around Brotchie after getting their gear hooked up on the reef.

Tough slog today. No fish for us, I know of only one caught. Didn't see anybody catch anything.

I heard at the dock that a small boat went down around Brotchie after getting their gear hooked up on the reef.

I thought that was a boat down too but I think it was just the coast guard doing a drill for an overturned boat. I tuned in to channel 16 and they were talking about it. Btw who caught that one fish today :)

The boat went down near the green can. One guy onboard saved by another boat. NO Life jacket on - lucky guy.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 111
He was doing fast 360s before the stern went down. The hull was fibreglass - looked to be at least 17 ft long

I've hooked the downrigger to the bottom a couple of times in my 17' and the cable snaps pretty quick. No way it would haul a boat down.

I thought that was a boat down too but I think it was just the coast guard doing a drill for an overturned boat. I tuned in to channel 16 and they were talking about it. Btw who caught that one fish today :)
16 footer went down , one guy on board , no lifejacket rescued by a commercial boat

Last edited:
It's a good idea to have side cutters for the downrigger wire and a sharp knife for the anchor rode. My son was fishing halibut and the tide changed and the rode caught up on the motor and his 22' grady would have sunk if he wasn't able to cut the rode.
I am on Vacation so I look forward to coming back before the runs are gone
Tight Lines
Tom

I'll be the one to post the first report from a very depressing start to September. I've been out the last 3 mornings. pounding it hard from 530ish-12, and it's been brutal. On Friday morning when we were out, after a spirited 10+minute tilt we lost a heart breaker after he ran my partner into his backing and shook his head like crazy 200 feet behind the boat. Back out Saturday for the same shift. Landed a chunky sea lice free feeder that was maybe 7lbs. Safely released. Lastly we fished this morning, and managed to scrape up a 15# early. Fish was dark and likely a net pen fish. Very slow going out there; in years passed the first week of September has produced some epic days on the water and some very big fish. Hopefully we see a new wave of fish come through, which I would guess they do after the full moon.

It's slow going for sure, not impossible but, tough slogging. The whiteys will still have to come through, hopefully.

Back