There is fish still there you burned past me english while we had one one (did you not notice) you went out to never never land I can only assume.
fishing for springs will be good till mid sept as it always is as we have NO rain, dont worry coho are just around the corner too...

Good luck Wolf
Nope. never noticed you. Wolf. You must have been in Possession or Harbour Mouth I suppose? As to going to never land - nope - fished the Trap along with several other boats and did the "right thing" , in tight, over the structures and bumps, back out to 120' over more bumps and structure, sith anchovy and herring at various depths from 48-86' ad nauseum and nothing. Nor did I see anyone else catching so it is not just me (see Jama's post). No doubt there will be more fish, and no doubt you and some of the other guides will get them. As for many of the rest of us.....not so much..........

Last edited:
Out yesterday and today. Fiesty coho near the surface, pinks from shallow to 70'. None in great numbers and no chinook. Out deep or near shore, Sheringham to Secretary...no consistency for us but not really any consistency to our fishing either. Anchovies, pink hoochies, coho killers all caught fish.

View attachment 35088

BTW these have been doing very well for me last week. I ditched the bait. Herring spoons from Andrew at AP tackle works. This colour was good yesterday.
Late post. Early Sunday, I asked to buy a couple of late tickets for Cheanuh Derby. No deal. 8 pm Friday was the cutoff. No problem.
Headed to the Trap at 8 am and caught first Spring#15 at 9:00. Then, played the biggest Spring I ever caught, in the watchful eye of a seal, until we unsuccessfully attempted to net, resulting in a short tug o war. I lost, and the seal has my fav uv flasher and purple haze jdf head. I would have been so choked if I had had a derby ticket. One last ?coho?rolled off the hook.
Eating the #15 today, found Tapioca in the flesh. That's a first for me. And I don't think I'll be smoking what's left.

Last edited:
Late post. Early Sunday, I asked to buy a couple of late tickets for Cheanuh Derby. No deal. 8 pm Friday was the cutoff. No problem.
Headed to the Trap at 8 am and caught first Spring#15 at 9:00. Then, played the biggest Spring I ever caught, in the watchful eye of a seal, until we unsuccessfully attempted to net, resulting in a short tug o war. I lost, and the seal has my fav uv flasher and purple haze jdf head. I would have been so choked if I had had a derby ticket. One last ?coho?rolled off the hook.
Eating the #15 today, found Tapioca in the flesh. That's a first for me. And I don't think I'll be smoking what's left.
Tapioca?

I was fishing yesterday. Headed to Otter at 11:30 am. Was very choppy there. I figured the wind can't be the reason because there wasn't much. So the choppy water got to be current (tide change) related. The water calmed down at 1:30pm making it way more enjoyable. Anyhow I stayed at Otter till about 4:30 pm without any bites. I then went to Muir. Good decision as at 5pm I hooked a strong fighting 20 lbs white male wild spring. Kept fishing there till 8pm. So in total I got only one bite in a 8 h session.
I got the fish on a UV green teaser head behind a Betsy flasher 80' on the rigger.

Last edited:
Another fairly quick trip this morning as we had our 6 springs by 9:30 and lost a couple more. The morning started with a double in the first 5 minutes and we had a 2nd double sometime later. Largest would have been around 22 pounds. Sounds like we finished up just before it got a bit rough...heard guys were quitting as I was cleaning up the boat at the dock. 2 hatch and 4 wild, still all red for me and all but one were females today.

Attachments

• august29.JPG
    august29.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 112
Another fairly quick trip this morning as we had our 6 springs by 9:30 and lost a couple more. The morning started with a double in the first 5 minutes and we had a 2nd double sometime later. Largest would have been around 22 pounds. Sounds like we finished up just before it got a bit rough...heard guys were quitting as I was cleaning up the boat at the dock. 2 hatch and 4 wild, still all red for me and all but one were females today.

Thats an impressive haul!

I've seen you producing both on the water and on the forums, and your always on top of em, you run a good show out there. Nice work!

Great fishing there Profisher! Can't wait to get back out there. Appreciate your posts. Fell in love with the area our last trip out. Shopping for some property out that way now so we can spend more time there. Great place to be that's for sure.

I was fishing yesterday. Headed to Otter at 11:30 am. Was very choppy there. I figured the wind can't be the reason because there wasn't much. So the choppy water got to be current (tide change) related. The water calmed down at 1:30pm making it way more enjoyable. Anyhow I stayed at Otter till about 4:30 pm without any bites. I then went to Muir. Good decision as at 5pm I hooked a strong fighting 20 lbs white male wild spring. Kept fishing there till 8pm. So in total I got only one bite in a 8 h session.
I got the fish on a UV green teaser head behind a Betsy flasher 80' on the rigger.

Well done Fishhook. you showed tremendous dedication to get that fish. More to the point, your post epitomises the experience most of us mere mortal fisherman have had on a regular basis this year. Makes me feel normal.:)

In total contrast is this post by Profisher. It is so fantastic as to beggar belief. I have said it before and I will say it again, guides like Profisher are fishing gods and his posts are so impressive and so stratospheric the hardest part is not to get depressed. More chinooks in single day than I have had all season!! :(LOL

No doubt Profisher has worked incredibly hard to get that skilled and I have to keep reminding myself to be grounded in reality and to have expectations more in line with Fishhook's experience. The weather is great and when the wind doesn't blow it is the greatest time out there, even if I stare at an unmoving rod top for hours and hours!:D:cool:

That's a good question Fins -n- Skins, wonder how guides feel about a weekend warrior going out and picking up tips.

Guess it would depend on the guy/gal.

Hey English here's a thought ? Why don't you book a trip with Pro or Wolf and maybe learn a few things ? Quick lesson..
F&S - In the past few years I have been out with a several expert guys on their boats and mine and I have been taught the anchovy roll, leader lengths, how to use hootchies for chinook, the depths to fish and the areas in general to fish. I have also had loads of tips from this forum and it has been a great learning tool, thanks to the generous guys on here. The thing is guides have something that cannot be learned in a single trip. They know exactly where to go on any given tide, and time of day and weather condition. There is no quick path to long years building that experience of knowing where the fish are and where they will be tomorrow. And that is a very good thing as it preserves their business and saves the fish stocks!! LOL:)

Englishman way too depressing! Everyone has bad days. I am not sure it's accurate to say all the guides get fish and no one else gets anything. What about rest if us? Look at Walleyes. Guy doesn't even live here and still found fish. Start looking at the currents more and watch what boats are doing and why. I am sure you will be successful. Also stick and stay. Don't wonder aimlessly without really working an area. I often see you pull up work area 20 minutes and then drift away.

Good luck.

Back