2017 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Well, on the last day out in the Valley, managed 3 keepers at 12, 13 and 14 pounds. Was a great afternoon on the water. Lost another one that I figured was over 20 right by the boat.

Now back home so will need to wait another year. Overall, I found it to be a great fishing season for us. Until next summer!
Good to hear you had a successful season.I enjoyed your posts and pictures. Till next year take care.....

We're also looking at heading there. Interested in the answer!

sorry for late reply here...not really any shore fishing locations that i would recommend. occasional pinks are caught trolling for springs but nothing similar to the shore casting for pinks that CR has.

Reactions: 777
Son hammered 3 nice springs and 2 pinks yesterday out in no mans land between kitty and lazo
2.5hrs middle of day?!
Go figure

Fished off NE Denman last evening. Lost a nice heavy fish then nothing after that. Lots of small bait balls but no bites.

As a follow up to my report, anyone find the water very dark green lately? Visibility was less than 4 feet down.

Fished off Hornby a few times in the last week. Tons of bait around. Landed a few springs, some coho and pinks as well. Slower than normal for time of year.

I was hoping to get some advise/information... ran the boat from Hornby Island north to Comox Marina. I noticed south of the marina on the west side of baynes sound it looked like there were crab traps dropped. Are there actually Dungeness crabs there? I have two traps and would give it a go if it's worth it.

I was hoping to get some advise/information... ran the boat from Hornby Island north to Comox Marina. I noticed south of the marina on the west side of baynes sound it looked like there were crab traps dropped. Are there actually Dungeness crabs there? I have two traps and would give it a go if it's worth it.
Yep there are dungy's there but sit on your traps--some people feel they own the water there and traps go missing!!

Yep there are dungy's there but sit on your traps--some people feel they own the water there and traps go missing!!

Thanks spring fever, good advise... we'll probably fish near flora during the tide change then come back. Hopefully there isn't an issue!

Was out for a motorbike ride today and stopped in at Salmon Pt for late lunch..lots of jumpers out front all along the shore line

I got out yesterday around 3 PM. Tried off of Pt Holmes first and got nothing but small shakers. Moved up to Kitty Coleman and picked up a nice spring but about 2 cm too short. Seems the anchovy was the thing they wanted. Lost a couple of teaser heads off some strong hits. Lots of bait on the bottom.

Another derby coming up this weekend... this one out of comox. Anyone here attending? I'll be coming up from Vancouver to fish on a buddy's boat. New to the Comox fishing scene so don't expect to be in the winner's circle but, hey, it's fishing right so who knows? :)

Looks like the organizers have done an awesome job in terms of prizes, sponsors, etc especially with this being the inaugural event. See you on the water this Sunday!

https://www.facebook.com/fishingderby2017/

comox derby aug 27, 2017.jpg

Fished Bates\Kitty Saturday from around 10 until 6. Huge amounts of bait. Not much action until the bite turned on at 2:30 until 4:00. During that time we got 2 around 10 lbs plus a 18 lb, as well as 2 pinks and several under size. Then just like someone flipped a switch, the bite was over. The big spring was caught on a 502 plug, with all other action on a white flasher/ white spoon combination , all at 225 feet. Hot sun and flats seas, and a pod of Orcas at Point Holmes on the way in last night. Great day.

Last edited:
Fished Bates\Kitty Saturday from around 10 until 6. Huge amounts of bait. Not much action until the bite turned on at 2:30 until 4:00. During that time we got 2 around 10 lbs plus a 18 lb, as well as 2 pinks and several under size. Then just like someone flipped a switch, the bite was over. The big spring was caught on a 502 plug, with all other action on a white flasher/ white spoon comb, all at 225 feet. Hot sun and flats seas, and a pod of Orcas at Point Holmes on the way in last night. Great day.

We fished 7:30 - 2:00 yesterday, started at the bumble bee can at Lazo and released 6 just undersized springs on anchovies and watermelon spoon. Then moved to Grant Reefs and lost 2 decent springs, saw a spring swimming on the surface with a flasher attached, caster my steelhead road with a crocodile to snag it and wham hit a just undersized spring. Saw a humpback near Powell River, flat calm ocean like glass, beautiful day releasing springs...

I guess we missed the bite. Launched around 3:30 and headed to the Hump. More doggies and a few shakers on anchovies, spoons and hootchies at all depths. It was a hot day out there but the flat water was great.

Back